Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite ice cream recipes

11,011 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought there was a thread on this but I couldn't find it. I got a new ice cream maker for Christmas and am looking for some interesting recipes.

I am thinking about making some olive oil ice cream, and am also looking for a quality olive oil recommendation.
htxag09
AG
Following, I got a new ice cream maker as well. Finally can retire the old bucket that requires 2 bags or ice for the new one.

The food board favorite is Alton browns recipe. Which is my go to as well, both his vanilla and chocolate. For the chocolate I like to add almonds and m&ms. Also, I've found it's easier to cook via sous vide than tempering.
aggiespartan
AG
I made the vanilla from the Salt & Straw book today and I think it turned out pretty well. It's in the freezer right now but it tasted really good out of the machine.
HTownAg98
htxag09 said:

Following, I got a new ice cream maker as well. Finally can retire the old bucket that requires 2 bags or ice for the new one.

The food board favorite is Alton browns recipe. Which is my go to as well, both his vanilla and chocolate. For the chocolate I like to add almonds and m&ms. Also, I've found it's easier to cook via sous vide than tempering.

The 98321 recipe is nails and can be altered in whatever direction you want to take the flavors.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/vanilla-ice-cream-recipe-1916246.amp
Mathguy64
AG
Thomas Keller's mint is very nice.
aggiespartan
AG
Do you have a link for how to sous vide for the tempering? The recipes I'm trying right now have no eggs but I'd like to give it a shot to see what the difference is.
B-1 83
AG
Hard to beat this olive oil....

https://1836oliveco.com/
bigtruckguy3500
I think eggs make a huge difference in homemade ice cream. My dad used to make an awesome mango ice cream with eggs in there. Not sure every ice cream recipe needs it, but if you really want a good creamy texture I think you should include eggs.

Also, olive oil ice cream is something I've never heard of. You have piqued my interest.
Max Power
AG
I made this pineapple ice cream this summer and it was outstanding. Serious Eats has a ton of ice cream recipes, lots of different styles to pick from. If you make your own I recommend it. The rocky road ice cream recipe of theirs is also great, make it every year.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/07/fresh-pineapple-ice-cream.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/06/rocky-road-ice-cream-recipe.html

aggiespartan
AG
I made Salt & Straw's bourbon coffee ice cream last night and I think that's going to be a favorite. Going to make olive oil ice cream tonight with the last of my Salt & Straw base. I made a 4x batch of it to experiment with.

I already had the pineapple ice cream saved from serious eats. Now I know I'll have to make that one.
OlArmyWalton92
AG
What ice cream makers do you have? Which do you suggest and why?
aggiespartan
AG
OlArmyWalton92 said:

What ice cream makers do you have? Which do you suggest and why?
I have the Breville Smart Scoop. It's the only one I've used besides a hand crank.
Max Power
AG
I've got the Kitchen Aid stand mixer attachment. It was under $100, good reviews, already had the mixer. All you have to do is take the bowl and freeze it, I keep mine in the deep freezer. Gets the job done, price is good. A stand alone unit would be nice but there's only so much space I can use in the kitchen. Only real downside is that you can really only do one flavor in a day due to cleaning and re-freezing time. Also, get better results if you make the base, let it sit in the fridge for a day, then run it through the machine. The Breville is supposed to be great. The stand alone units you just plug in, and you're ready to go.
aggiespartan
AG
I've made 3 batches so far, and it's been excellent.
schmendeler
AG
I got this book for Christmas. I haven't made anything yet, but very soon...

Here is just the list of ice creams. He also has dozens of sorbet and granita recipes. Then a whole section of homemade sauces, and other toppings and mix-ins.

the roquefort-honey recipe sounds really intriguing to me.
aggiespartan
AG
I just ordered this book and Heston Blumenthal at Home. I got Salt & Straw and Hello, My Name is Ice Cream for Christmas. The salt and straw recipes are not custard based, so there are no eggs. They have recipes for making larger amounts of their base, which is really nice. I made a large batch and stored it in containers in the correct portions for batches of ice cream. Hello My Name is Ice Cream goes really in depth about the different kinds of ice cream and the ratios for each type.
schmendeler
AG
weird for an ice cream book to have zero recipes with eggs. are they making some sort of principled stand on ice cream vs. frozen custard? or do they think that home cooks won't want to temper egg yolks?

i'll have to check out "my name is ice cream" sounds like a winner.

another one that stood out to me in "the perfect scoop" is the orange-szechuan pepper flavor.

he has an olive oil recipe, as well.
aggiespartan
AG
Salt & Straw is a shop in Portland. They really only make the Philly style ice cream, so that's what's in their book. For what it's worth, it's really good, and really easy to make the base in bulk so you don't have to do that every single time. I've got a coffee bourbon chocolate in the freezer right now that I made last night from this book that the husband loved, so I think that one will go into our regular rotation.
schmendeler
AG
i just realized that we went to salt and straw back when we visited portland in august. i have to say, while it was good, it wasn't amazing or anything. we tried 3 different flavors, i believe. i expected something more amazing based on the ratings and buzz.

edit after reading your post: perhaps that is why i didn't care for it as much.
aggiespartan
AG
And I don't really WANT to temper egg yolks, but I'll do it just to try it.
schmendeler
AG
it's not really very hard. you're a pretty prolific baker, so i think you won't have any problems, if you're hesitant at all.
aggiespartan
AG
We actually never went to salt and straw while we lived there. Never really wanted to wait in line for ice cream.
aggiespartan
AG
schmendeler said:

it's not really very hard. you're a pretty prolific baker, so i think you won't have any problems, if you're hesitant at all.
I don't think it's going to be hard, I'm just lazy.
schmendeler
AG
we ordered on line so just did pick up. but after we ate it the line was gone anyway, so i went in and got another scoop to try another flavor just for the hell of it.
htxag09
AG
Sorry, been a crazy week. Had my wife send the recipe.

I've followed this recipe to the t and didn't like it quite as much as altons. So have settled on using Altons ingredients but this method to cook the batch.

schmendeler
AG
this book type and layout is very familiar to me. what book is it?

i feel like it's one i have but i can't remember which one.
htxag09
AG
Sous vide at home

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0399578064/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_XX56Fb2E937YX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
schmendeler
AG
i don't think i have that one, actually, must just be a common style.
aggiespartan
AG
I've got it. I do think it's a common style though. It looks like Ad Hoc I think. I'm finding ice cream recipes that I never paid attention to in all sorts of random books.
Max Power
AG
I can vouch that if you don't want to temper egg yolks sous vide is a great way to make your ice cream base. Another addition you can put in the base to help with the texture is nonfat powdered milk. This video shows the way Morgenstern's makes their ice cream. He makes Philadelphia style ice cream and uses milk powder.

EFE
AG
One of my local favorite restaurants does a Cheddar cheese ice cream that is stupid good
aggiespartan
AG
The base I made from salt and straw has milk powder in it. I already had it on hand because one of my baking books uses it frequently.
aggiespartan
AG
The verdict on the bourbon coffee chocolate ice cream was "I think you need to make 5 more gallons of this so I can make sure it's ok."
schmendeler
AG
Made the chocolate ice cream (with egg yolks) recipe from The Perfect Scoop. Tossed in some crushed Oreos at the end then layered it into the container with the mocha fudge ripple recipe also from the book. Not to brag but this is pretty amazing. First time making homemade ice cream that is better (imo) than Ben & Jerry's or haagen dazs.
aggiespartan
AG
I just made the Heston Blumenthal vanilla and it's excellent. No eggs, but the texture and flavor are great. It's infused with 2 espresso beans (yea, just 2) and it's very subtle but really brings out the flavor. The recipe made about 5 and a half cups of liquid and used 5 vanilla beans.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.