Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Old Fashion Bourbon

5,460 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mr Gigem
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My absolute favorite drink and few bars/restaurants make a good one. Best one in Dallas I've found was at Cedars Social (Michael Martensen - mixologist guy whose now opened several places over last few years) which doesn't exist anymore.

I have found that I like "Mexican Old Fashioneds" much better though and from a pound for pound perspective are better than bourbon Old Fashioned's. Especially when made with mezcal. They are bad ass if you've never had one.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
The Whitmeyer's Bourbon and Rye blend is tough to beat in an Old Fashioned or a Sazerac if you are into rye spice for either of those. Not sure on availability outside of Houston
aggiesherpa
AG
YouBet said:

My absolute favorite drink and few bars/restaurants make a good one. Best one in Dallas I've found was at Cedars Social (Michael Martensen - mixologist guy whose now opened several places over last few years) which doesn't exist anymore.

I have found that I like "Mexican Old Fashioneds" much better though and from a pound for pound perspective are better than bourbon Old Fashioned's. Especially when made with mezcal. They are bad ass if you've never had one.

That cedar old fashioned is/was so gooooooodddddddddd.

I like to use four roses yellow label, or if going for a higher proof Old Bardstown Estate Bottled (a great quality bourbon for $35.)
Bird Poo
AG
Made smoked old fashions the other night using hickory chips. This is a great review of how to make a good one. Smoked OF starts at 5:00.

AggieBarstool
As others have mentioned, rye is the best. I have no specific brand recommendations as I don't normally drink ryes. I normally go for wheated bourbons but prefer the "spiciness" of ryes to offset the sugar effect in an Old Fashioned.
AggieFlyboy
AG
YouBet said:

Wouldn't that be an "Anticuado"

I will pass as I have a deep loathing for tequila; I do like an old fashioned made with dry gin sometimes, though
sanitariex
AG
I tried making a Oaxaca Old Fashioned recently and have to say, not a fan. But I also like things simplified.
1208HawkTree
AG
Cherries...
AgBQ-00
AG
My favorite for an old fashioned is knob creek.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
mazag08
AG
YouBet said:

Have to be careful with Mezcal. Has to be low to moderate smoke or else the entire drink is just a smoke bomb.
YouBet
AG
AggieFlyboy said:

YouBet said:

I will pass as I have a deep loathing for tequila; I do like an old fashioned made with dry gin sometimes, though
Ha.

Have you had any higher end tequila? Almost everyone I know who hates tequila bases that off of a high school experience with Cuervo Gold. Good tequila is fantastic and I actually prefer it over bourbon now. Different thread though I guess.
WillieAg08
AG
Got a bottle of proof syrup for Christmas and it's excellent. Highly recommend giving it a go.

https://proofsyrup.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tyixIvx7QIV44NbCh3KZQPPEAAYASAAEgI5fvD_BwE
BigAg95
AG
As most above seem to know but no one has said unless I missed it, a rye or a high rye bourbon make the best old fashioned. The pepper and spice of the the rye holds up well to the sugar. For rye, go rittenhouse or wild turkey, for bourbon I like WT101 or Russel's Reserve. Four roses yellow or single barrel works too. Not a huge fan of the Beam ryes in cocktails but I like them on their own.

Using a splash of soda is a great tip, but I tend to use water unless I am making several so I don't open a can of soda just to use a splash or three of it.
AggieFlyboy
AG
YouBet said:

AggieFlyboy said:

YouBet said:

Ha.

Have you had any higher end tequila? Almost everyone I know who hates tequila bases that off of a high school experience with Cuervo Gold. Good tequila is fantastic and I actually prefer it over bourbon now. Different thread though I guess.

Many times, I've had multiple people try to convince me that good tequila exists. My opinion has not changed one bit on tequila
AggieFlyboy
AG
WillieAg08 said:

Got a bottle of proof syrup for Christmas and it's excellent. Highly recommend giving it a go.

https://proofsyrup.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tyixIvx7QIV44NbCh3KZQPPEAAYASAAEgI5fvD_BwE

That sounds sacrilegious
William Larue Weller
AG
Michter's Celebration
YouBet
AG
AggieFlyboy said:

YouBet said:

AggieFlyboy said:

YouBet said:

Ha.

Many times, I've had multiple people try to convince me that good tequila exists. My opinion has not changed one bit on tequila

Well, ok then.
AggieFlyboy
AG
1208HawkTree said:

Cherries...

That's how I feel about orange peel
The right cherries are amazing
Mr Gigem
AG
My go to is:

1 oz Wild Turkey 101
1 oz of Four Roses yellow label

The wild turkey gives it the high proof an Old Fashioned requires, while the Four Roses gives it a floral note

Other than that, Bulleit and Buffalo Trace are great options
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.