Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorites on a Smokey Mountain

4,215 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Max Power
schwabbin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I finally decided to ditch the electric smoker and step up my game. I picked up a WSM on Friday. Did a brisket for the first time yesterday (prime $2.50/lb at Costco!). And I'm hooked.

What are your favorite meats and recipes to throw on the WSM?
1208HawkTree
AG
Bone-in pork butt
Spatchcocked chicken
Whole Turkey
ToddyHill
AG
I've had a WSM for the last four years. Here are my favorite items to smoke...

Prime Brisket
Choice Brisket
Wagyu Bristet

FYI...check out You Tube. There are a couple of guys who swear by the WSM. And you'll learn a lot how to smoke a great brisket on the WSM.

T-Roy is one of them....

Henry Soo would seem to be the last person who you would think could smoke a brisket, but he's also very good. Lives in California but he is a Texas Tech grad....

ToddyHill
AG
I also did a Spatchcock Turkey for Thanksgiving...it was amazing.

I've also done a Boston Butt...it too was great.

I think you'll find the WSM is incredibly versatile.

Good luck!

normaleagle05
AG
Like any smoker....smoked meatloaf.

Equal parts lean beef, pork, and third thing of choice (lamb, sausage, ?turkey?, chorizo, venison). Very proportions based on fat content of desired.
Finely diced onion and bell pepper.
Garlic.
Make a batch and a half of the glaze of your choice and mix half of it into the meat. Apply the other half to the meat 15-30 mins before done cooking.
Form a loaf and insert a temperature probe.
Smoke at 250-275 until 150 internal (my preference), pull, cover, and rest.
Slice and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Slice cold leftovers and pan fry until crispy for sandwiches.
tsuag10
AG
Pork butts
Baby back ribs
Brisket
Coulotte
Tri tip

Love the WSM. Easy to use, efficient, and most of the time faster than an offset smoker.
beanbean
In on this thread. My wife got me a Smokey Mountain for Christmas. Just put it together yesterday! Can't wait to get cooking on it.
Dalhousietrio
I had one for around 10 years and made some modifications. I really enjoyed have casters on mine. Made it a lot easier to move around..

Complete guide to Weber Smokey Mountain Mods - Smoked BBQ Source
NColoradoAG
WSM can make a mean tri tip. Smoke to 120 and then pull the top 2/3s off and let the coals get ripping hot. Throw the grate right over the charcoal ring and flip the beef every 30 seconds for about 3-5 minutes to get a crust.
ORAggieFan
WSM is amazing. Get an iQue and you're golden. I mostly stuck with the classics, but virtualbullet has some great options. The non classic one I like is the Cornell chicken. And I'm not a fan of chicken.
Ezra Brooks
AG
What size WSM did you get?

I have the 18" and I find that really limits me to about a 10lb brisket....problem is that there isn't always a 10 pounder in the bin at HEB.
Hwy30East
Brisket, ribs, pork butt, and chicken are all favorites. The WSM is really a great smoker. I've got the 22" and love it.

The only complaint I have is when I've filled it up on both racks, it can be a pain checking everything. And you can fit a lot of meat on a 22" WSM.
Hwy30East
My brother had the 18" WSM, and really regretted not going with the 22" just from the amount and size of meat you can put on them.
ORAggieFan
I had the 22" and rarely needed that much space, but yeah, when it comes time for a brisket, I was glad I did have it.
ToddyHill
AG
I have the 18". I can easily get a 17 pound brisket on it by tucking in the edges.
rangerdanger
AG
An underrated and CHEAP smoked meat are chicken quarters. The fat splatter is a great way to "season" new smokers as well.
schwabbin
AG
ToddyHill said:

I have the 18". I can easily get a 17 pound brisket on it by tucking in the edges.

I need to Google how to do this. Because I found that I have about a 10 lb. limit on my 18". Thanks for mentioning this.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
Have the 22" for a couple of years now and love it. Whole briskets, pork butts, spare ribs, spatchcock chicken and turkey are favs. %A0 %A0 %A0
JCA1
AG
A quick and good option is boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Done in an hour to an hour and a half. Give them a southwestern rub then make into smoked chicken tacos.
beanbean
Smoked a ham that my wife got from her work for Christmas and a whole chicken. First time using my WSM and first time ever smoking anything. All turned out great and it couldn't have been easier. Oh and also made some Fido beans. It was all a hit for New Year's dinner.

schwabbin
AG
I got a thermopro remote thermometer this past weekend and it turns out my grate level temp was about 10-20 degrees hotter than the Weber thermometer on the lid.
CharlieBrown17
AG
schwabbin said:

I got a thermopro remote thermometer this past weekend and it turns out my grate level temp was about 10-20 degrees hotter than the Weber thermometer on the lid.

Pretty standard. Wouldn't lose sleep over 10-20 degrees though.
1208HawkTree
AG
schwabbin said:

Your lid thermometer still works?? I'm on my second one and it is now stuck at 300+ with no heat. Had Weber send me a new one when it happened the first time but probably won't bother this time around. I only watched it when starting the smoker to make sure temps were going up steadily.
K_P
AG
What's the best door replacement for the WSM? My door got really messed up when the mid section of the cooker blew over in a storm.
Shaggie 05
AG
I got one from Cajun Bandit a few years ago and it's still going strong. Much more heavy duty than the original.
Allen Gamble
Got a WSM for Xmas and had never smoked anything prior to last night. Despite the freezing rain in Houston, I said fuggit I'm doing a beer can chicken. Came out perfect!

K_P
AG
Shaggie 05 said:

I got one from Cajun Bandit a few years ago and it's still going strong. Much more heavy duty than the original.

How well does it fit vs the original door? is it just a heavier duty version of the original door, or is the fit tighter?
Law361
AG
I bought my WSM used, but it came with the Cajun Bandit door. No smoke leaks through it.
Shaggie 05
AG
As Law361 mentioned, it's a better fit as well as being more heavy duty.
K_P
AG
thanks!
anyone using the LavaLock? it's $40 more (since i need the knob), but i really like the swing open door

Shaggie 05
AG
I reused the knob off my original door if that makes a difference for you
Max Power
AG
I got some nomex gaskets to seal the lid and the door, no more leaks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.