Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Rec for Bluetooth wireless thermometer

1,967 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by austinag1997
Truman2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recommendation?
ftworthag02
AG
are you talking about for a smoker? I have the flameboss 500 for my primo xl and love it.
7yrplan
AG
I like thermworks products.
MichaelJ
AG
I've got the new Weber one - the Weber connect I think it's called - it connects over WiFi which gives a better range than straight bluetooth and I believe the thickness of your grill can cause interference
htxag09
AG
7yrplan said:

I like thermworks products.

If I were buying now, I'd probably go thermoworks. It's what I have for instant read and they're the market leader.

But I have had the igrill for several years now and have had 0 issues. App is pretty cool too. I typically put 1-2 probes in the meat and 1-2 in the smoker chamber. You can save charts of cooks to go back and see what temp you were holding if your food turned out great, how long meat stalled, etc.
pablof
FireBoard!
Diggity
AG
The Meater!

/jk
TX AG 88
AG
I have an iGrill and find it not very useful. I can't go in the house and stay connected via Bluetooth unless i sit by the window. A big digital readout on my grill would be as effective. My next wireless thermometer will be wifi enabled.
Diggity
AG
Thermoworks has some great wireless options, both wifi and RF Wireless.

I have the original Smoke, which is RF. I could add a wifi adapter but I don't have any issue keeping signal as long as I don't venture too deep into the house.

They have updated versions that are food for over a mile on RF as well.

https://www.thermoworks.com/BBQ-Grilling
MichaelJ
AG
TX AG 88 said:

I have an iGrill and find it not very useful. I can't go in the house and stay connected via Bluetooth unless i sit by the window. A big digital readout on my grill would be as effective. My next wireless thermometer will be wifi enabled.

Weber is phasing out the igrill and replacing with Weber connect which is WiFi enabled
AggieSam02
AG
Definitely Meater+

We carry them in our store and they work great. App interface is good and user friendly too.
htxag09
AG
They may have a good product now. But after the boondoggle that was their Kickstarter, not sure how much I trust them or want to give them business. Also, the probe seems way too large.
AggieSam02
AG
Understand the Kickstarter issue but we have dealt with them for over a year and no issues as a dealer.

As far as the product goes, it works great and the app interface is good. Good price point. Haven't had any issues and we have sold north of 100 units.
Sazerac
AG
Smoke Rf didn't work even one street over for me. Too much interference. Returned.

MEATER Bluetooth is garbage for a smoker.

ThermoWorks signals has been nails.
AggieSam02
AG
Thermo works is great but I wouldn't call it wireless.

Haven't had any issues with Meater in the smokers I've used it in. What issues have you had?
Sazerac
AG
Thermoworks smoke/signals is wireless from the transmitter to the receiver/app
probe - wire - receiver (water resistant) - WiFi/RF - receiver & app

Meater is
probe - bluetooth - receiver (not water resistent) for wifi option - app

The Meater bluetooth range sucks. The receiver Wifi range sucks. The receiver (Block) can't be in the elements.
Diggity
AG
I would probably have bought the signals if it was out when I bought the Smoke.

For my purposes, it has been fine, but it would be nice to use it anywhere.
jh0400
AG
I have a Thermoworks Smoke as well, and the receiver does OK but not great. I've been considering buying the gateway for it so I could use the app, but I'm torn between that and upgrading to the Signals.
Diggity
AG
I had the same thought when Signals came out. Couldn't justify it for the 4 long cooks I do a year though.
jh0400
AG
The Signals is overkill for what I do for sure. I may keep an eye on their website to see if the gateway goes on sale around Black Friday.
AggieSam02
AG
165 foot range works great on the Meater+. App interface is super easy. It's completely wireless.

From their website
We do not recommend MEATER to be fully submerged in liquid since it is WATER RESISTANT, not water proof. If you will use it in a slow cooker, please make sure the ambient end is not submerged and is not touching any of the walls.

Thermo works has wires for each probe and is overkill unless you're a professional caterer or competition cooker.

Not trying to be argumentative because I think both products are good but for 95% of people, the Meater plus is the best main stream solution.
Diggity
AG
Good to hear. It sounds like the got their QC problems under control.

A lot of small companies really underestimate what it takes to ramp up a concept from a few dozen to tens of thousands.
Sazerac
AG
I had the MEATER block. Absolutely sucked.

Also the probes have to be buried several inches in. Works for large cuts but not small.

It also took them 2.5 years to send me mine after Kickstarter and the first never worked. So I will never give them more business.
sanitariex
AG
I have Thermoworks Signals + Billows on my BGE and it is an absolute game changer. I set my alarm early in the am, go hook it up, use a torch to heat up some coals, get the temperature set in the app and walk away to go prep meat. It gets the temp to 250 or whatever I'm cooking at and holds it without any adjusting of the vents. What really sets it apart is the lower temp cooks it holds better than I could manually adjusting vents.
austinag1997
AG
The probes eventually become inaccurate. Range is an issue for me also.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.