Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Birria tacos

6,668 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tailgate88
Lola68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These seem to be the newest rage. Anyone had them? Got any recipes?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
No, but JQ's in Cypress are excellent
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've made them, and had them in restaurants. I think they look better than they taste. Something about the broth just isn't my favorite.
TxSquarebody
Don Chente in Bryan has good ones. Apparently only new to us TexMex loving heathens. A coworker from San Diego says they have been there forever.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Lola68
Thanks for the responses.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks for the link. Definitely going to be making that soon!
WES2006AG
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

I came across this and followed the recipe a few weeks ago and they turned out fantastic. This is now in the rotation when I am looking to braise something.
96ags
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

The not knowing what a mutton truly is was annoying.

Otherwise, looks good.
OasisMan
AG
i think hers look better

cypress-ag
AG
Making these today. Cooler weather and braising just works. Those look amazing.
TXAG 05
AG
96ags said:

ValleyRatAg said:

The not knowing what a mutton truly is was annoying.

Otherwise, looks good.

To be fair, it's not like knowing different cuts of beef. I don't know if I've ever seen it on a menu.
WES2006AG
AG

Chef John joining the Birria party.
Silver Arrows
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

We followed this guy's recipe and really liked them as well. Definitely something fun to try making at home OP.
La Fours
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Don Chente in Bryan has good ones. Apparently only new to us TexMex loving heathens. A coworker from San Diego says they have been there forever.

Went to Don Chente yesterday specifically to try the birria tacos. It was my first time having them and they were good. I honestly didn't notice much difference between a bite of just the taco and a bite after dipping in the broth.

Matsui
AG
They got some awesome spots in ftw.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Made these tonight. Delicious. Used short ribs. Kinda fatty. Anyone have advice re alternative beef? Pulled pork would be delicious too.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Made these tonight. Delicious. Used short ribs. Kinda fatty. Anyone have advice re alternative beef? Pulled pork would be delicious too.

I always use a lamb roast. Goat is traditional, but that's a little hard to find.
Belton Ag
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Chuck roast cut up should work well, you can remove the large pieces of fat prior to going in the pot. Just be careful not to overcook it, I'd keep the oven temp down to 275 or so.

The other thing that I would be careful of when using the cascabels like he does is that not straining the pured chilis can result in a grainy texture and a bitter taste. I guess that's why he uses the vinegar in the video.
Diggity
AG
There's a pop up restaurant at the Rice Village food hall that will be serving these all month. https://houston.eater.com/platform/amp/2020/10/19/21523153/jqs-tex-mex-bbq-open-politan-row-rice-village-guard-and-grace-reopens-urban-harvest-fundraiser?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yeah that's who I mentioned in the 2nd post. Worth a visit.
Naveronski
Diggity
AG
made some of these last night with a buddies recipe.

We used lamb and they were fantastic.

Did my best "food blogger" attempt to show the insides. Burned my damn fingers too

TxSquarebody
Will be smoking some briskets this weekend. Maybe I should try making these with any leftovers/trimmings? Depending on how they turn out, and available leftover brisket, I'll post up for B/CS locals to come try them.
Naveronski
AG
They're delicious.

WES2006AG
AG
I made another batch yesterday and they turned out great again. Wish I would have snapped a picture now.
Tailgate88
AG
I made these a couple weekends ago and was really excited about them but mine didn't come out. Started late and didn't get the meat softened up enough, and my wife is allergic to jalapenos so we had to cut the chipotles in adobo. I ended up with a non-spicy, tough meated quesadilla.

I'll probably try them again sometime but my first attempt was not good.
Naveronski
AG
I also started late. Once then went into the oven, I made the call to order pizza. I delayed them by a day instead of pulling them early.
keysercade
AG
Say more about this place, I live in CCL but haven't heard of it and can't find it online...
Tailgate88
AG
keysercade said:

Say more about this place, I live in CCL but haven't heard of it and can't find it online...
It's in the strip center across from the HEB at the corner of Texas & Villa Maria.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/don-chente-mexican-and-seafood-restaurant-bryan
Tailgate88
AG
Naveronski said:

I also started late. Once then went into the oven, I made the call to order pizza. I delayed them by a day instead of pulling them early.
Good call, what I should have done. I also used chuck roast instead of a more tender piece of meat which was probably not a good idea.
Naveronski
AG
I used beef short ribs, with bone.
I removed bone before cooking, but left most of the connective tissue.
Once they're cooked, that tissue was very easy to remove by hand. Much easier than it would have been to cut off when raw.

Also, instead of shredding manually, I used my wife's mixer with the bread attachment. It's worked great for pulled pork in the last, and good for this too.

Might have to use beef chuck roast for this next time - more time cooking, but less time cleaning? Fine with me.
trouble
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Don Chente has very good ones.
ME85
AG
So do I have this right, birria taco and fat quesadilla are the same thing?
Diggity
AG
It's a hybrid taco, quesadilla, enchilada thing.

All about the braised meat.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.