Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Drank an entire bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.

5,565 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by htxag09
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tlfw378
AG
Did you drink it by yourself or at least share it with your good friends?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
tlfw378
AG
Where did you acquire such a bottle?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
tlfw378
AG
Send a thank you to your client. Bourbon is to be enjoyed...best with the friends you share it with. I would go as far to say it is all about the friends you share it with and not about the bourbon at all.

Congrats on the bourbon.
Ornithopter
AG
tlfw378 said:

Send a thank you to your client. Bourbon is to be enjoyed...best with the friends you share it with. I would go as far to say it is all about the friends you share it with and not about the bourbon at all.

Congrats on the bourbon.

Kinda harsh considering he drank it alone
TxSquarebody
My only question, having never been close to a $4000 bottle of bourbon, is it worth the hype?
Bruce Almighty
AG
TxSquarebody said:

My only question, having never been close to a $4000 bottle of bourbon, is it worth the hype?

No
Ducks4brkfast
AG
It's not a 4,000 dollar bottle.
Ornlu
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3113207/replies/56606438/

SlipNslide.gif" />
AggieChemist
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
15 Year is the best tasting Pappy. They are not worth what secondary is charging. I've tasted a couple of William Larue Wellers and they have been better tasting to my palate than the Pappys.

Martin Cash
AG
msechelski said:

Drank it by myself over the course of two evenings. I didn't mix it with anything, so I guess I can be glad about that.
Do you go to meetings?
John Francis Donaghy
TxSquarebody said:

Not even close. Worth a couple hundred bucks tops to someone who buys it to drink. Everything above that is collector value for people who want to put it on a shelf to show off.
TxSquarebody
Willing to trade a fully cooked rack of ribs for a 2-3 fingers glass from one who drinks it and doesn't collect it!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Ducks4brkfast
AG
msechelski said:

I agree with this statement. Apparently, you can get your hands on for less than $200. I guess it's just hard to get ahold of, unless it's secondary market. After a little googling, I was able to find one that was bottled in 2008, and the asking price was $4000.
I can get 08 15 year for closer to $2000
EastTexAg14
AG
Ducks is right, it can be had for 2k. I would chase down some pre-prohibition whiskey before I bought PVW.
Duncan Idaho
TxSquarebody said:

Willing to trade a fully cooked rack of ribs for a 2-3 fingers glass from one who drinks it and doesn't collect it!

Since you weren't clear...2 full racks of beef ribs and you might have a deal. Let me check with my wife Lucy
TxSquarebody
Duncan Idaho said:

TxSquarebody said:

Since you weren't clear...2 full racks of beef ribs and you might have a deal. Let me check with my wife Lucy

I'll meet you halfway...two full racks of pork ribs!
StEdsCOOG
I had the opportunity to buy a 2020 Double Eagle Rare at retail which I jumped on. I bought the bottle with the full intention of selling on the secondary at a later date but the longer I have the bottle the more I want to drink it. Then I remind myself what all I could do with the money and that I'm just fine drinking $40-50 bottles.
Duncan Idaho
TxSquarebody said:

Duncan Idaho said:

TxSquarebody said:

I'll meet you halfway...two full racks of pork ribs!

There was an old episode of I love lucy, where Ethel and Lucy buy a freezer and decide to fill it with two sides of beef instead of two sides of pork.
CharlieBrown17
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

I had the opportunity to buy a 2020 Double Eagle Rare at retail which I jumped on. I bought the bottle with the full intention of selling on the secondary at a later date but the longer I have the bottle the more I want to drink it. Then I remind myself what all I could do with the money and that I'm just fine drinking $40-50 bottles.

Usually drink what I buy. However, that is one I'd flip the **** out of. Even if you don't want the money, the amount of BTAC/similar you could get would be worth it to me.
True Anomaly
AG
Furlock Bones said:

15 Year is the best tasting Pappy. They are not worth what secondary is charging. I've tasted a couple of William Larue Wellers and they have been better tasting to my palate than the Pappys.

Agree to disagree. 20-year to me is best tasting

None are worth multiple thousands of dollars
Goodest Poster
AG
True Anomaly said:

Furlock Bones said:

I think 23 is the best. They are absolutely worth 2k if its a business deal. No Bourbon should cost more than 200. Period. But they do, and stuff like Dry State, Pappy 23, and Bookers 25th will continue to gain value into the absurd.
John Francis Donaghy
jftx04 said:

True Anomaly said:

Furlock Bones said:

I think 23 is the best. They are absolutely worth 2k if its a business deal. No Bourbon should cost more than 200. Period. But they do, and stuff like Dry State, Pappy 23, and Bookers 25th will continue to gain value into the absurd.

Said the tulip collector....
expresswrittenconsent
I doubt the whiskey "bubble" pops any time soon, but it doesn't seem super dissimilar from the 90s cigar trend.

I also don't think there is a ton of overlap btwn whiskey drinkers and marijuana users, but mass legalizations down the road could potentially push mj into the trendy spot whiskey now has.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

I doubt the whiskey "bubble" pops any time soon, but it doesn't seem super dissimilar from the 90s cigar trend.

I also don't think there is a ton of overlap btwn whiskey drinkers and marijuana users, but mass legalizations down the road could potentially push mj into the trendy spot whiskey now has.

Man if you think whiskey is expensive, you should take a stroll down the wine aisle at your local liquor store.

You'd probably be shocked at what a bottle of wine containing 4 to 5 pours costs!
AggieBarstool
Ducks4brkfast said:

Man if you think whiskey is expensive, you should take a stroll down the wine aisle at your local liquor store.

You'd probably be shocked at what a bottle of wine containing 4 to 5 pours costs!
What are you talking about? Allocated bourbons are absolutely in the same "this is outrageous" price category as the higher-end wines.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Ok so we agree with each other.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Bruce Almighty
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

What are you talking about? Allocated bourbons are absolutely in the same "this is outrageous" price category as the higher-end wines.
Wines are much worse when you consider how many servings a bottle of wine is compared to a bottle of bourbon.
Cromagnum
AG
Rare whiskey prices are dumb. Plenty i can enjoy the hell out of and easily find for less than $200, even less than $100 in many cases.
Trajan88
AG
Couple summers ago I was in Rhode Island ... went to a small package store to buy liquor.

Saw one bottle of Pappy on a shelf behind the counter. Had what I thought was a $140 price tag.

Was going to buy it until I saw there was another "0" at the end of that $140.

:-)
BurnetAggie99
Even Weller 12 Year which used to be easily found and about $50 is now hard to find cause it's very close to Pappy. Before Buffalo Trace took over both brands Pappy and Weller help create Stitzel-Weller distillery. Both Pappy and Weller bourbons are distilled using the same mash bill.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.