Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Truffles - what is a good way to sample ?

2,990 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DuncanLEO
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Want to sample these but don't know the best to go about it. Amazon has some black truffles

not too expensive .

Any help appreciated .
Max Power
AG
Honestly it's probably better to try them via a nice restaurant with them on the menu. A good restaurant should have good suppliers. Whatever shows up on Amazon might be questionable at best. Also if you're trying to see whether or not you enjoy truffles it's better they be handled by someone that knows exactly what to put them on and in what amount.
schmendeler
AG
Max Power said:

Honestly it's probably better to try them via a nice restaurant with them on the menu. A good restaurant should have good suppliers. Whatever shows up on Amazon might be questionable at best. Also if you're trying to see whether or not you enjoy truffles it's better they be handled by someone that knows exactly what to put them on and in what amount.
if nothing else, this gives you a chance to see what they SHOULD taste like, so if you enjoy them, when you order them you can tell if you got bad ones or not.
Max Power
AG
Or throw caution to the wind. Buy the truffles from Amazon and just try to have your own version of Iron Chef at the house, secret ingredient, you guessed it, truffles. You could make truffle sandwich, truffle nachos, truffle pizza, etc.
BSD
AG
I looked on amazon and found only truffles preserved in oil or a brine. Seems like you'd be missing the purity of pure truffles. I'd suggest going to a restaurant or buying from Sabatino on a 25% off sale. Ideally go with black winter truffles from France or white truffles from Alba, as I found those to be the best expression of truffles. Be careful buying "cheap" truffles because China does counterfeit these. That's why I use Sabatino.
Furlock Bones
AG
Go to Italy during truffle season.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
BSD said:

I looked on amazon and found only truffles preserved in oil or a brine. Seems like you'd be missing the purity of pure truffles. I'd suggest going to a restaurant or buying from Sabatino on a 25% off sale. Ideally go with black winter truffles from France or white truffles from Alba, as I found those to be the best expression of truffles. Be careful buying "cheap" truffles because China does counterfeit these. That's why I use Sabatino.
Sabatino is a good site. But they charge for delivery. I ordered Sabatino Zest with free delivery from Amazon.

Figured a powder would be the best and cheapest to try truffles .

Thanks for the tip .
Spore Ag
I absolutely love truffles with a planned return trip to Alba at this time. First try I did not think much of them which I think some but not all would agree. Have to be open minded.

Saffron was the same way but learn some application, enjoy the complex flavor and enjoy.
FALE
Fancy restaurants are probably your best bet since the flavor degrades pretty quickly once they're dug up. So I doubt store bought or ...lol...amazon is worth a damn
BSD
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

BSD said:

Sabatino is a good site. But they charge for delivery. I ordered Sabatino Zest with free delivery from Amazon.

Figured a powder would be the best and cheapest to try truffles .

Thanks for the tip .

Truffle powder ain't even close.
ORAggieFan
Michelin starred restaurants are the way to go. Saison in SF and French Laundry were both great in mid Feb for truffles.
schmendeler
AG
If you're in Houston, Tony's is known for their black truffle dish treatments.
BSD
AG
Sabatino is doing a 35% off white truffle sale. Use code WHITEFALL35
NATE AG03
AG
If you are close to a Central Market, you can often find them. They sell them individually. About $30 per from what I recall.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
What is the medium cost for a meal at a Michelin starred restaurant ?

How many are in Dallas ? ( friend wants to know )
schmendeler
AG

I don't know that there are any Michelin starred restaurants in Texas.
Buck Compton
AG
schmendeler said:

I don't know that there are any Michelin starred restaurants in Texas.
There aren't any.

The Michelin guide used to really look down on American restaurants. But they started rating in NY and San Fran and expanded to Chicago and D.C and Los Angeles... if you're not in one of those cities then you're not even considered for a Michelin Star.

Now, That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of good restaurants in Texas where you can taste truffles. Same with Los Angeles until 2019. The Michelin guide just isn't going to put in the effort to find them all over the US, but they will in Europe, where the densely populated cities are much closer.
BSD
AG
I forgot to mention, Urbani is another reputable source of truffles.
Sazerac
AG
Houston has had a truffle celebration / competition / tasting / gala the last couple years. I'm sure it got canceled this year. All the best chefs in the area make a dish(es) and patrons cast their vote. It was over 25 stations last one I went to. Fantastic.
jh0400
AG
As was posted above, Michelin Guide coverage is sparse in the US, but you should be able to get fresh truffles in most high end French or Italian restaurants.
ORAggieFan
They've expanded beyond those cities. They do all of CA now.
ORAggieFan

Low end is about $200/person without booze.
jh0400
AG
There are several Michelin star restaurants in CA that are nowhere near that expensive. $200 is probably low end if you're talking tasting menu.
ORAggieFan
jh0400 said:

There are several Michelin star restaurants in CA that are nowhere near that expensive. $200 is probably low end if you're talking tasting menu.
Yeah, I was talking tasting menu. Good point.
Buck Compton
AG
ORAggieFan said:

They've expanded beyond those cities. They do all of CA now.
That's why I said, they included Los Angeles in 2019. They expanded it to a full state guide, but most are San Fran (incl. wine country) or Los Angeles. I think there was one or two in Sacramento and a few in San Diego.

I was also under the impression that this wasn't going to be an every year deal for the full state Michelin guide, but could be wrong. They had done an initial pass at LA about a decade ago too.

They still aren't going to do Texas or anything in the south anytime soon.
ORAggieFan
Just making sure our one in SD wasn't forgotten.
Buck Compton
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Just making sure our one in SD wasn't forgotten.
Fair enough! Really wish they'd expand, but I get how much work it is, as well.
GAC06
AG
The Central Market near me in Dallas has truffles for sale. Only $399 per pound
GAC06
AG
Went ahead and bought a black truffle from CM. Tomorrow night will be cacio e pepe finished with truffle
schmendeler
AG
Had anyone tried this product? Saw at my local Costco and I was intrigued if it might be edible.

Ornlu
AG
How much $$$?
schmendeler
AG
i thought i took a picture of the price tag, but i didn't. $25 i believe.
HTownAg98
They will likely taste like something resembling a truffle, but nowhere near a shaved truffle.
Spore Ag
Correct, not like the real shaved truffles but have to say I liked them. Nephew works for Regalis which is a big importer of truffles.

Good on everything from a sandwich to breakfast eggs or whatever.
DuncanLEO
FALE said:

Fancy restaurants are probably your best bet since the flavor degrades pretty quickly once they're dug up. So I doubt store bought or ...lol...amazon is worth a damn
And they are probably the fake Chinese truffles.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.