Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Spice grinders

1,116 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rattler12
Rattler12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reccomendations ? Specifically looking for one where the size grind can be adjusted coarse, medium, fine... if they make such a thing
DiskoTroop
I just use a $10 coffee grinder. Simple blade grinder works pretty good but it's very simplistic. Texture is simply managed by time grinding. Basically just a powerful and fast mortar and pestle.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Agree with above, although some swear by a mortar and pestle. Naturally, you have more control over grind size with mortar and pestle, but they can tend to be more expensive than their electric competition. Can't say I've done side by side to be able to tell a difference in flavor.

Using an electric grinder is SO much easier for large amounts of spice. Usually for me it's when refilling my rub shaker.

I have a molcajete for when grinding up small amounts of spices, and an olivewood mortar and pestle that I use to make compound butter on occasion.
htxag09
AG
Same as above, we have a cheap electric blade coffee grinder.

If you want to be able to control the size and get an extremely consistent grind, you'd need to look at a burr grinder. Honestly, I'm not even sure if they make them for spices. I assume they do, I also assume they are ridiculously expensive and not worth the premium. I can't think of anything I do that would require me to grind spices with that kind of precision.
DiskoTroop
Burr grinders work great for whole spices like whole pepper corns, cardimam pods, etc.

Small stuff like fennel seeds or dried rosemary leaves just slip through the grind plates though.
HTownAg98
Pick it up and shake it like a cocktail shaker while it's running. That's what I do on stuff like that, and it works great.
chilidogfood
AG
Cheap blade coffee grinder for most bulk spices.

I would recommend a unicorn peppermill. I have the keytop model, and love it.
Rattler12
Thanks for the responses
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.