Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pour Over Coffee Question

1,592 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_mae
500,000ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm new to pour over, after using an aero press and french press regularly. The guides for the pour over are for a 1-to-15 ratio for coffee-to-water. The issue is I'm running through coffee much more quickly.

My process is:
1) bloom for 45 seconds
2) fill with water and slowly pour in the middle of grounds
3) let sit for 90 seconds
jah003
S
That's about right. I go 1:16 on my Chemex and Hario.
Sooner Born
I got into this a couple of years ago and make it almost every morning. Here's my method

• 1:18 coffee/water ratio - My morning standard is 30 g Coffee/540 g water - it makes about 16 fl oz of coffee
  • 40ish gram bloom - 30-45 secs
  • Pour 200g in a swirling/circular motion - let it mostly run through
  • Pour 200g similarly
  • Pour 100ish similarly
  • Drink

Edit: Just saw you have an aeropress or French press so my methods don't apply. Sorry!
12thAngryMan
AG
I think he was saying he used to use Aero/French press and now is exploring pour over.

OP, ask 100 "serious" coffee drinkers and get at least 50 different recipes. My current formula for a V60 pour over is below. It's nothing crazy or unusual; just follows many of the basic rules of thumb for pour overs after watching videos from Scott Rao, James Hoffman, etc.

• 1:16.5 ratio (I do 20g coffee to ~330g water); medium-fine grind (21-25 on Comandante grinder depending on type and roast of bean)
  • Bloom is variable depending on quantity and freshness of beans, but roughly double the volume of water to beans (so 40g water for 20g coffee)
  • Gently swirl after pouring bloom water to ensure grounds are evenly saturated and wait ~30 seconds (+/- 5 seconds based on how bubbles are forming)
  • Pour slowly in concentric circles to hit halfway mark (165g water) at 1:15 total brew time (i.e., 45 seconds from end of bloom)
  • Continue circular pour but slightly increase flow to finish pour between 2:00-2:10 total brew time
  • Gently swirl V60 to catch grounds that may be stuck high up on the wall
  • Let water drain undisturbed with target total brew time between 3:15-3:30. If timing is substantially different, alter grind size or get new/better filters. Grounds should have a mostly flat bed at the end which is an indicator of no channeling and thus more even extraction.

Target times vary slightly depending on what ratio/quantity of water you're using. Recipe above makes a large mug of coffee which is normally good for my first cup of the day.

Enjoy the maddening journey of perfecting your pour over!
austinag1997
AG
I weighed coffee/water when I first started using my Chemex. I now eyeball it. Still a very smooth coffee even if slightly off.
Sooner Born
I got lazy and bought myself a Technivorm. In about 30 seconds I can grind beans, pour them in, add some water and then wait five minutes until the coffee is made. It's not quite as good as my Kalita pour over but much better than any other drip system I've ever had.
Aggie_mae
I don't know a lot about coffee, but my roomate took a coffee class at TAMU. She said it was pretty cool.

It was throught the hort or soils department, but she said all the brewing and roasting part was taught by the Coffee Center at the University (I had no clue we had a coffee.center). Best part, you dont have to be a student to go to the center. I think the classes are free even for non students.

I was planning on going, but then covid happen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.