Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best Vacuum Seal device?

1,424 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agcrock2005
bloom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am purchasing one as a wedding gift for a young couple. They did not specify a brand, but I imagine it will be used for venison, re-packing value packs of grocery store meats and sous vide. They love to cook but are on a tight budget. Can anyone guide me to a good brand? TIA
jh0400
AG
I've had a Food Saver for close to a decade with no issues. If I had to buy a new machine I'd probably go with a chamber-type, but those are pricey for a wedding gift.
fav13andac1)c
AG
The food saver brand has worked well for me.
htxag09
AG
Food saver +2 here. Had mine for 8+ years and no issues. If you're vacuum sealing a lot of meat the over heating issue can be a bit of a pain. Just have to give it a couple minutes to cool down. But for most people, its plenty sufficient
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I purchased a Geryon vacuum sealer from Amazon a couple of years ago for about $70. It has worked perfectly and has many great reviews.
RCR06
AG
Many people package everything up then want to seal all at once. If you seal as you go it gives the sealer plenty of time to cool down.
schmellba99
AG
My Food Saver is going on 13 years old and has done dozens of deer, a few elk, Lord knows how much chicken and beef over the years. Vacuum sealed 50 lbs of sausage after deer season last year without a hitch.

Takes up way less counter space than a chamber version as well. But this is texags, so you'll probably need to go spend the most amount of money possible to get something in the realm of acceptable.
Max Power
AG
Another vote for food saver, gotten more use out of it than any other wedding gift. Been used a couple of times per month for 8 years.
bloom
Thanks for the repliesFood Saver with extra bags has been purchased.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Might want to consider buying the rolls instead of the bags next time. More versatile (i.e. sealing a rack of ribs) and less expensive.
Rattler12
I've had a food saver for years and have tried to wear it out. I had to replace the upper and lower seals a year ago but they were $3 a pair from the mfg so I bought 2 pair.
AggieChemist
AG
I usually kill 5-8 deer a year, along with lots of small game and catch a bunch of steelhead.

I use this one.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-12-commercial-grade-vacuum-sealer
agcrock2005
AG
Really depends on what it's used for. Until recently I had a Foodsaver that worked decently well. I bought a Weston as an upgrade and it put the Foodsaver to shame but was more expensive. Recently I also bought a vacmaster chamber machine and it puts them both to shame but they're very expensive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.