Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Good Etouffee recipe?

2,167 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by schmellba99
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TIA. Plan to use crab, shrimp, and mud bugs.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't mix all three. If I had to use all of those ingredients, I'd make crab-stuffed shrimp separate from the crawfish etouffee.
Carolin_Gallego
Potcake
AG
Gramercy Riffs
AG
That recipe is very similar to mine but I'd use stock from your shrimp heads instead of the chicken bouillon and water.

Edit: I also add some fresh peeled/diced tomato after the trinity. Maybe a cup or so. Let that break down and combine with the stock before you add the crawfish.
beagle2009
AG
Can't go wrong with Emeril's shrimp etouffee recipe.

https://www.emerils.com/126622/shrimp-etouffee
Max Power
AG
This is pretty similar to what we had growing up, but no chicken bouillon. Some of you use tomatoes? I don't think I've ever had etoufee with tomatoes in it.
aggiespartan
AG
My recipe is similar, but I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned.
BMX Bandit
Max Power said:

This is pretty similar to what we had growing up, but no chicken bouillon. Some of you use tomatoes? I don't think I've ever had etoufee with tomatoes in it.
tomato in etoufee is the Creole version. Tomato usage is key difference between Cajun and Creole

Gramercy Riffs
AG
Max Power said:

Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. Just depends on which version I'm making. The way they cook down, it wouldn't surprise me if people had eaten that version and didn't realize it.
Teslag
AG
Potcake said:

I see someone else has the greatness of the Lonestar Legacy Cookbook.
Potcake
AG
Nope, Cajun Revelation, from my grad school days in Lafayette.
schmellba99
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Max Power said:

tomato in etoufee is the Creole version. Tomato usage is key difference between Cajun and Creole

One of them anyway. Butter is another - creole uses a lot more butter than traditional cajun does.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.