Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite non-Texas style BBQ recipe

3,433 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
Seersucker Ag 2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've smoked plenty of Central Texas-style meats on my smoker. What's your favorite BBQ recipe for a different style of BBQ?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/sausage-recipes/texas-hot-guts-smoked-sausage
NColoradoAG
Santa Maria style tri tip
Bruce Almighty
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/sausage-recipes/texas-hot-guts-smoked-sausage

OP asked for a non Texas recipe.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Pulled pork with Memphis dust and Carolina gold bbq sauce

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/columbia-gold-south-carolina-mustard-bbq-sauce-recipe

Jock 07
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Santa Maria style tri tip

This, especially directly from a vendor on the side of the road on a Sat in Lompoc or from a small market in Los Olivos.
Also like burnt ends when done well.
ORAggieFan
I've got a Carolina style cider vinegar based sauce that goes great with pork butt. Santa Maria style tri tip pretty popular being I live in CA.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What are y'all doing for your tri tip? That sounds mighty good this time of year.
NColoradoAG
Chipotlemonger said:

What are y'all doing for your tri tip? That sounds mighty good this time of year.
I can find prime grade tri tip at Costco. Assuming you don't have a santa maria style grill, reverse sear. Season heavily with salt, pepper, and garlic. Smoke at 225 preferably with oak until 120. Rest while getting the grill as hot as possible. Sear flipping frequently to develop a crust until 135. Rest 10 minutes. Slice against grain (tri tip grain runs two ways so cut in half first). Serve with pinquito beans (available online, cranberry beans are a decent sub), tossed green salad and grilled garlic bread. Traditional central California BBQ.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Ha yes I see that now. I thought he said non Central Texas
Mathguy64
AG
Pork belly burnt ends.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice. Yea I've done the reverse sear before with tri tip and really love it that way. You do the rub down with garlic powder or minced garlic?
ORAggieFan
I use garlic powder. I do pretty similar to mentioned and make a red wine BBQ sauce to go with it.
William Larue Weller
AG
Memphis ribs... dear lord they are amazing.
HTownAg98
I love doing tri-tips. They don't take long, and they taste great. Plus, I can now find them with some fat left on, which makes them even better.
RafterAg223
AG
Go to Harry Soo's YouTube channel. He has a ton of non traditional takes on all kinds of meat.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I can't seem to make a good tri-tip. I've used the amazingribs recipe and it always comes out tough, even though cooked medium rare and sliced against the grain.
ORAggieFan
Bruce Almighty said:

I can't seem to make a good tri-tip. I've used the amazingribs recipe and it always comes out tough, even though cooked medium rare and sliced against the grain.
Strange, that's pretty in line with how I go about it and described in this thread. It is a bit chewy as a cut though, but i wouldn't say tough.
cb1919
AG
https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-sticky-asian-ribs-sticky-sauce/

Not really BBQ but I've taken this seasoning and sauce to the green egg and it is one of my favorites
TXAG 05
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Strange, that's pretty in line with how I go about it and described in this thread. It is a bit chewy as a cut though, but i wouldn't say tough.

I do them pretty often and some can be a little chewier than others, but never had one come out "tough. "
88Warrior
Oklahoma style smoked bologna.
NColoradoAG
Bruce Almighty said:

How thick are your slices? I usually slice pretty thin. Slightly thinner than youd slice brisket.
Bruce Almighty
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Bruce Almighty said:

How thick are your slices? I usually slice pretty thin. Slightly thinner than youd slice brisket.

I could be slicing to thick, but I'd say maybe 1/4 inch. It could just be personal preference though as I find the meat somewhat bland, or it could be quality. The beef in stores is somewhat lacking in quality where I live, so I get most of my beef from a local rancher. Tri-tip is a cut I buy at the store.
Mathguy64
AG
Tri tip isn't rich like a rib eye. It's lean and beefy in the way brisket is beefy. It also takes smoke really well.
HTownAg98
Bruce Almighty said:

NColoradoAG said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I could be slicing to thick, but I'd say maybe 1/4 inch. It could just be personal preference though as I find the meat somewhat bland, or it could be quality. The beef in stores is somewhat lacking in quality where I live, so I get most of my beef from a local rancher. Tri-tip is a cut I buy at the store.

Choice and prime tri-tip are delicious. Select is not so much. With the additional marbling of those higher grades, you've got a wider margin of perfect doneness.
Personally, I think 1/4" is too thick. That may be why it's tough.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tri tip 2 hours in the smoker, 18 in the sous vide at 131 and a quick sear with just salt and pepper and stuffed in an old shoe and it'd still eat close to prime rib.

Love sweet sauce on anything, also the whole hog smoke, I like Korean and Japanese spice profiles on any rib or chicken over a coal fire
HTownAg98
Bo ssam done on a smoker is awesome. Go lighter on the smoke if you can, and go to the trouble of making all the accompaniments.
https://mykoreankitchen.com/bo-ssam/
JAG03
AG
I saw someone who made pulled pork with a pork belly and it looked really good. I think I might try that and it shouldn't take to long either.
maverick2076
Picanha. Cook it just like the Tri tip described above. Similar results, but more tender
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Living out here on the west coast... so tired of tri-tip. It's okay, but it's basically just grilling a cheap piece of sirloin.
NColoradoAG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Living out here on the west coast... so tired of tri-tip. It's okay, but it's basically just grilling a cheap piece of sirloin.

Must be eating some ****ty tri tip.
Ag_07
AG
I do a jalapeno jerk baby back ribs recipe with a jalapeno pineapple bbq sauce that's amazing.
lb sand
AG
When I saw this thread, I came to post Jamaican jerk chicken.
GSPag`
I second the Memphis style ribs.

Get online and find the fake Rendevous Greek rib rub they perfected. And then dry cook them over real charcoal about 2'-3' above the coals if possible.

edit: and although I do not care for much vinegar in anything, I do really like the vinegar based BBQ sauce in Memphis.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Must be eating some ****ty tri tip.

Could be. But literally getting it from people from Santa Maria cooking it on a Santa Maria grill, so I doubt it.
It just sucks.

Part of it could be because the Californians keep saying its better than Texas bbq.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.