Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Another Damn Brisket Question!!

3,115 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rattler12
1Aggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some guidance... smoking on a kamado joe.

I'm having difficult time getting brisket to turn out like it always did on my offset. Two issues I cannot seem to figure out.

1. Bottom of flat gets way too done... kind of like hard jerky on the bottom layer.

2. Smoke ring is hit and miss. This weekend I had good ring on the point but basically nothing on the flat.

I have a deflector, put a water pay under the brisket, temp was 250-260 majority of the time, took about 11 hours for prime brisket to reach 203 and feel right with probe.

Any suggestions? Good news is, brisket was eatable, beer was really cold, and there was a ****ton of football to watch!
Ag MD 84
AG
On my BGE, I like to cook briskets fat side down and it seems to kinda act like a heat shield, then I trim it off after brisket is done. Seems to help, since adapting this technique, I've been happy with how they've turned out.
aTm_bomb
AG
Agreed, fat side down in a kamado as it shields the flat. This solved my dry and crispy flat issue since kamados are not as indirect as an offset.
ValleyRatAg
AG
I start fat side down and flip it after the first four hours then every 2 hours after that on my BGE, never have to trim anything off. I had the same experience with my first few briskets.

I also quit using a water pan and got a much better bark.
TxSquarebody
Another for fat side down. Or, stick to the offset for brisket. In my experience, you'll never tlget the same smoke ring on the kamado unless you cheat it with curing salt for aesthetics.
1Aggie99
AG
Thanks for the help!

I'll give fat side down a try next time around and remove the water pan... Bark is another issue.
Chip Douglas
Like others said go fat side down. Also, smoke ring does not matter for anything but appearance despite what internet BBQ experts make people believe.
aTm_bomb
AG
1Aggie99 said:

Thanks for the help!

I'll give fat side down a try next time around and remove the water pan... Bark is another issue.
I would try changing one or the other next cook, not both. That way you know what the impacts of each variable are. Change both and you won't know what worked or didn't work.

I still use a water pan as it mitigates spikes in heat as new charcoal lights (most useful in overnight cooks since I am sleeping).
1Aggie99
AG
Good idea. Appreciate it y'all
ValleyRatAg
AG
I bought the Egg Genius to avoid temp spikes. It has also made my brisket taste more like offset cooked. I love that thing.
agfan2013
AG
For the bottom side being like jerky, it's getting too much direct heat. As others have suggested cook fat side down to help have some heat shielding and consider wrapping after the stall to help it from getting too dried out/burnt.

I wouldnt remove the water pan, helps keep moisture in the cooker and regulate temps, if anything it should help you get a good bark, not hinder it.

On the smoke ring, as someone else noted its just aesthetics and I wouldnt personally worry about it, but if you are dead set on wanting a better one without faking it by using the different salts and whatnot, pull the meat out straight from the fridge and go on to the pit, dont let it sit on the counter for awhile. Cold meat will delay reaching the temp where it stops turning pink and get you a better ring. Trim and season the brisket the day before.
lazuras_dc
AG
As others have said, fat down shields the flat so it doesnt get as dried out.
I keep a water pan in my BGE

I use a egg genius to keep temp steady, also it uses a fan so it actually helps produce a little more smoke I've found....but you can get a digiq or equivalent. I start with wood chunks but even so with lump after an hour or two the smoke seems non existent... so i like to add wood chips every few hours in on the sides of the deflector just to get a little more smoke action.
BourbonAg
AG
I get better bark without a water pan in my BGE.

Edited to remove an incorrect statement.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Weber smokey mountain with a DigiQ.

I don't think your temp is right on the smoker. Or you're probing the wrong areas.
Ornlu
AG
BourbonAg said:

If you are just using a water pan to even out the temp then a pan full of sand should accomplish roughly the same thing. I get better bark without a water pan in my BGE.
This is thermodynamically false. The temp "evening out" refers to spreading temperature evenly across time, not across space. Evening out the hot times and cool times is accomplished by the water boiling off, which utilizes the water's heat of vaporization to mitigate sudden temperature changes.

The ability of the smokey air to convey heat into the meat is affected only slightly by the humidity generated by the steam. It only has a slight effect on the bark - but it has a HUGE effect upon keeping temperature spikes in check.
BourbonAg
AG
Makes sense. Thanks for the science lesson.
Rattler12
Yall sure make BBQ'n difficult...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.