Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

No-Knead Bread

3,069 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wadd96
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bread newbie here. After trying and failing to cultivate a sourdough starter as a fun new project, I cut my losses but still wanted to make some kind of good rustic bread with a crackling chewy crust. It doesn't take much googling before you see the no-knead process show up everywhere. Having never researched bread-making this was foreign to me, but apparently when the NYT published a recipe with this process 15-ish years ago (from a NYC bakery) it was somewhat groundbreaking.

So I gave it a go. This was literally 20 minutes of hands-on time, and would be less if I knew more what I was doing. A few minutes to mix up the dough the night before, a few minutes to shape the next afternoon before a final rise, then into the Dutch oven to bake. The results were phenomenal. I'm a little shocked that bread this good can come from such simple and easy process. Very complex flavor with a thick chewy crust. I'm sure this is nothing new for most of you, but feels like kind of an epiphany to this novice.
wadd96
AG
My version

No Knead rustic style bread

Step 1
In a large bowl:
3 cups regular flour
1 tsp regular salt or 3/4tsp coarse salt
tsp INSTANT yeast (not quick-rise, must be instant)
Mix dry ingredients well with a fork etc.
Add just over 1 cups water (temp doesn't matter, but not ice cold) and stir together into a big tacky blob. Cover in saran wrap tightly and let sit somewhere warm at least 12, up to 18hrs. I like to start mine around noon that way its ready to cook the following morning.

Step 2 (after the 12 to 18 hrs have passed)
Lightly flour countertop and your hands
Scoop wet dough from bowl onto floured countertop and quickly form a rough round shape.
Cover in saran wrap for 15-20 mins
Put a piece of parchment paper on countertop
Remove plastic wrap, grab the loaf and plop it on the parchment paper, quickly shape it round or oblong your choice.
Dust the top with flour and cover with a clean dishtowel for 90 minutes

Preheat oven to 450. You need a large heavy pot with lid, dutch oven style not a thin-walled sauce pot. I have an aluminum heavy pot it does not have to be cast iron.
Heat the pot in the oven 30 mins
With a sharp knife, score the top of the loaf three parallel lines so that it can expand while baking
Remove pot from oven, pick up the loaf using the parchment paper corners and gently as possible plop it in the pot
Bake with LID ON for 30 mins, then remove lid and bake another 25-30 until as brown as you like
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Scotts Tot
AG
Yep...pretty much exactly what I did.

400g flour
10g salt
1g yeast
300g water

Mix together in a bowl and cover, let rise at room temp (I did 15 hrs). Turn out on floured surface. Pull and fold over a few times and leave covered on parchment for another couple of hours. Preheat Dutch oven to 450 a half hour before its time to bake. Score loaf and set it in Dutch oven on paper. Cook covered for 30 minutes, and uncovered until desired level of browning is reached (another 30 minutes for me).
tendiesinvesties08

No pics?
25 years ago, if you said you'd be more successful in life if it wasn't for people actively working against you or oppressing you, they called you a paranoid schizophrenic. Today, they call those people Progressives.
fta09
AG
This recipe was easy and tasty.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe.html
Scotts Tot
AG
Nice thing about this bread is that is very forgiving for a beginner. As you can see in the photos below, my scoring and loaf shaping were awful, but it doesn't matter because it's a rustic type of bread anyway.

fav13andac1)c
AG
Recent no-knead bread I made. No-knead will be the primary method I use moving forward. 15 minutes of work for an awesome product? Easy. I've also made cast iron garlic focaccia using no-knead, and oh my word

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/better-no-knead-bread-recipe.html
FightMilk
AG
This is one of my favorite recipe's for focaccia

https://slate.com/human-interest/2015/10/no-knead-vs-traditional-bread-is-a-false-dichotomy-you-should-make-slow-bread.html
"mc donads big hamburger no tomato on rye"
TX AG 88
AG
Introduced to the concept of "no knead bread" on this forum, maybe this particular thread.

made "faster no knead bread" recipe (jenny can cook) yesterday to accompany my wife's gumbo. resorted to the "faster" version because we forgot to get it started Friday night. It turned out really good.

Started a proper no-knead bread dough last night and will bake it later this afternoon. this recipe uses slightly more flour (3 1/3 cups) and twice the salt (2 tsp) but those are the only real differences aside from cold vs hot water and longer rising time. I think the extra salt will help the flavor, but am really glad to have come across this. Hope to use it a bunch. (Gotta get my money's worth out of the $30 dutch oven I picked up for it, if nothing else!)
alabamaaggie12
AG
No knead beer bread recipe I posted several years ago. Great with soups/chili.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2388577
AggieFlyboy
AG
No knead bread works because it is a high hydration dough and you let the yeast develop the gluten over time. If you are trying to make a bread that will be ready in a couple hours, you reduce the water and knead the dough to get the gluten chains to form.

In the end it is physics - work and time are inversely related
kurt vonnegut
AG
It's a great and easy recipe. Try putting stuff in it when it's rising. I like either adding rosemary or cheddar/jalapeo.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Big fan of adding Rosemary and a few cloves of crushed garlic to bread.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just took my first loaf out of the oven

Scotts Tot
AG
Take any cross-section photos? Curious how open/airy your crumb came out compared to mine.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CharlieBrown17
AG

Round 2 today. Shaping and scoring worked a lot better this time
fav13andac1)c
AG
Also seems to be a little darker as well.
Scotts Tot
AG
Nice! My last couple of attempts have been more dense...not sure what the deal is. I've followed the same protocol every time.

Did your loaves turn out a little burned on the bottom? Wonder if I should do the uncovered portion of the bake on something other than the hot Dutch oven...
CharlieBrown17
AG
More done on the bottom for sure, wouldn't call it burned
wadd96
AG
Today's effort...

wadd96
AG

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.