Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's Your Signature Dish?

5,181 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scotts Tot
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My Carnitas recipe:

4 pounds (or 2 kg) skinless, boneless pork butt (or shoulder or have even used loin in a pinch)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon dried oregano (or Mexican oregano)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 large brown or white onion , cut into wedges
8 cloves garlic , smashed
2 limes , juiced
2 large oranges, juiced (or 3/4 cup natural orange juice)
3/4 cup coke (Original or Mexican coke is ideal)
2 bay leaves

Rinse and pat dry pork with a paper towel.

In a 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven sear salted and peppered pork, add oregano, cumin, onion, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, coke, and bay leaves.

Cover and cook for 2-3 hours. Shred with two forks in the pot, in the liquid.

For service crisp up in a frying pan with some oil or butter, serve in fresh tortillas as mentioned in my post above.

Just fantastic.
True Anomaly
AG
Definitely chili or gumbo. Although I have a spicy miso ramen with ground pork and pork belly that my wife loves
schmellba99
AG
Probably my gumbo, or my red snapper
aTm_bomb
AG
schmellba99 said:

Probably my gumbo, or my red snapper
You and your wife's s3x names are not dinner table appropriate conversation.
Max06
AG
Beef ribs
beagle2009
AG
Probably shrimp and crawfish etoufee or a basic orecchiette and spicy Italian sausage pasta dish that is always a crowd pleaser amongst our friends and fam.
NoahAg

"It's a hamburger. Made with meat. You can put ketchup on it if you want. I couldn't care less."
chico
AG
salsa -
roast green chiles (jalepeno or serrano) over open gas flame on stove, when blackened - scrape off skin
cut off stem & clean out veins inside if you want
roast some white onion & tomato (peel skin) & garlic
use a molcajete - this is key!
mash up the chile, tomato, garlic & onion
add very small bits of raw white onion, salt, lime - stir & let settle a few minutes
I don't have amounts used, just kind of eyeball it from experience
jtp01
AG
In most cook offs with an open category I will typically enter a bacon wrapped pork loin stuffed with cream cheese, spinach and roasted green chilies.

It's done well for us. We've won several open categories with it and it seems to be enjoyed.
dmart90
AG
Bucatini all'Amatriciana

I use pancetta in place of guanciale. Such a simple recipe with so much flavor!
ValleyRatAg
AG
I make a spinach artichoke cream cheese garlic stuffed flank steak everyone loves. I'm going to try the stuffed pork loin. Care to share your recipe?
BusterAg
AG
Tunisian spiced leg of lamb roast.

Use all of the C spices:

cumin
caraway
coriander
cinnamon
(if you cook with cardamom pods, these will go well with this dish too).
One star anise pod
roasted garlic or garlic powder
Ancho chili powder (aleppo if you can get it, but ancho is pretty close)
Salt
Pepper or red chili flakes if everyone likes heat
Olive oil

For the cumin, caraway and coriander, best to toast whole seeds first, then grind with the cinnamon star anise, ancho, and pepper/chili flakes. Use pretty close to equal parts with the exception of the star anise (1 pod, very strong!), half part for cinnamon and the chili flakes will be to taste.

You can use this as a dry rub, or mix with olive oil and roasted garlic to make a paste. I prefer the rub using garlic powder, but will do the paste if my wife will roast the garlic for me.

A little salt on the lamb, then apply the dry rub/paste until you get a very good coat. Cook over coals on indirect heat at 250 to 350. Use either lump charcoal or briquettes, not wood coals, too much smoke doesn't help this dish.

Take it off when the center, or meat close to the bone, is rare to medium rare (127 degrees or so). You can finish in the oven on broil for like 2 minutes if you want a nice crust. Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting.

I like to pair with roasted potatoes, which can be cooked in quarters on the grill. Alternatively, couscous works too. Can be served with Harissa, but good without it. Just about any Mediterranean salad. Fried brussels sprouts with chili oil / flakes also go good. Or maybe grilled broccolini.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
Slim Isle
Barbecue Shrimp
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Hmmm. Lately. Paninis with spinach / basil pesto spread on home baked bread. Homemade pickles on the side.

Served with freshly made tomato basil soup.
Scotts Tot
AG
Do you follow the purist form of guanciale/pancetta, tomato, pepper, pecorino, or do you add to it with onion, garlic, etc? Just curious...this dish was my favorite when I visited Rome and I make it every once in a while.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.