Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's Your Signature Dish?

5,188 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scotts Tot
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you were in an open cooking competition what would you prepare?
lunchbox
Spice-rubbed roasted pork tenderloin with a fig compote.
DiskoTroop
At this point probably my pork carnitas.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Lasagna bolognese with a bechamel sauce.
BackPocket
Flaked sea salt and thyme spatchcock chicken
FIDO*98*
AG
Probably Gumbo or Fried Fish/Shrimp. I get lots of best I've ever had comments on both. My Lasagna is up there too
Bruce Almighty
AG
Probably fajitas, though my fried scalloped potatoes get requested a lot.
aTm_bomb
AG
Pork chili Verde or Fido's gumbo... Or Fido's cheese enchiladas...
MizooAg94
AG
Rosemary garlic venison tenderloin with black cherry sauce.
GAC06
AG
Probably the best thing I've made was ricotta gnocchi with gorgonzola cream sauce. My go to for company though is rib roast and Yorkshire pudding. Lasagna bolognese is up there too
HTownAg98
It would be my lasagna bolongese with fresh pasta, bechamel, and Sunday sauce. I don't make it very often because it's a lot of work. Second would be David Chang's Bo Ssam.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
The Roasted Chicken recipe from Thomas Keller's cook book. I usually sub in wild pheasant since I typically have some in the freezer.
https://www.amateurgourmet.com/2010/01/thomas_kellers.html

Or a Crab pasta dish if I can get my hands on some fresh crab.
WES2006AG
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

fried scalloped potatoes get requested a lot.
You have a recipe?
bmc13
AG
salsa
Bruce Almighty
AG
WES2006AG said:

Bruce Almighty said:

fried scalloped potatoes get requested a lot.
You have a recipe?

Its a two day process and kind of a pain in the ass, but here it goes:

Heat up a cup of heavy cream in a pot with five whole cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of thyme.
While that's going, peel some russet potatoes and use a mandolin to slice thin (about 1/16 in).
Grease a meatloaf pan and stack two layers of potatoes, season with salt and pepper.
Stack two more layers, season with salt and pepper, spoon some of the cream and top with shredded gruyere.
Repeat this process until you get to about a 1/2 inch from the top.
Make sure the top has no cream or cheese, and put some pats of butter on the potatoes.
Cover with foil and cook in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Let the potatoes cool. place plastic wrap over and weigh down with heavy cans. Place in fridge overnight.
When ready to serve, heat up 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a cast iron over med high.
Slice potatoes about an inch thick (they'll look like meatloaf slices) and fry on both sides until golden brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side)
If done right, the potatoes will be fried on the outside, but just cooked through on the inside that the cheese isn't oozing though.
Keep warm in oven while cooking the rest of the potatoes.
WES2006AG
AG
That sounds awesome, thanks for sharing.
Mathguy64
AG
That sounds like Keller's recipe. I made that once. It was really good but it felt like 1/2 the work was invested in ending with a gorgeous product that hid the fact it was scalloped potatoes.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Mathguy64 said:

That sounds like Keller's recipe. I made that once. It was really good but it felt like 1/2 the work was invested in ending with a gorgeous product that hid the fact it was scalloped potatoes.

It's similar to Keller's recipe. His recipe doesn't use cheese. Also, I don't worry about making it look pretty with perfectly even cuts.
Max Power
AG
Potato soup my number 1 crowd pleaser, the following round out my top 5.

Chili
Gumbo
Chicken tacos
Ice cream

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Probably fajitas, though my fried scalloped potatoes get requested a lot.

Recipes please. Never mind. See it was already posted.
Ornlu
AG
Chicken and Artichoke Florentine fettucini with roasted garlic cream sauce.

It's about 1900 calories per serving tho, so doesn't get made as often as I'd like.
Tanya 93
Chicken pot pie
Texker
AG
Max Power said:

Potato soup my number 1 crowd pleaser, the following round out my top 5.

Chili
Gumbo
Chicken tacos
Ice cream

Everything sounds awesome but I love potato soup!
Ag_07
AG
Smoked brisket

I'd like to see Bobby Flay cook that in 45 mins
ValleyRatAg
AG
MizooAg94 said:

Rosemary garlic venison tenderloin with black cherry sauce.
Recipe, Please.
pdc093
Cheeseburger Chowder in bread bowls.

TxSquarebody
Paella. The answer is Paella. Nothing I cook combines so many different subtle flavors into a single dish that work so well as a collective. Second to that would be my pork spare ribs, smoked pork loin, or brisket.
Here4Beer
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Paella. The answer is Paella. Nothing I cook combines so many different subtle flavors into a single dish that work so well as a collective. Second to that would be my pork spare ribs, smoked pork loin, or brisket.
Do you mind posting your recipe? The wife studied abroad in Spain and has always talked about Paella. Would love to give a go for a date night.
DeWrecking Crew
phideaux_2003 said:

Of all the things the wife makes, this is my favorite of hers. I don't know all the ins and outs, but I know it has to be done in a certain pan and it has to slow cook in Coca-Cola, it is straight phenomenal.
Vogon Poet
AG
Guacamole.

Unless that's not considered "cooking", in which case, something else.
Vernada
AG
I probably have a handful, but the first thing I thought when I read the subject was:

My grilled cheese sandwiches!
TxSquarebody
Paella

1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
4 cloves of garlic
3 Roma tomatoes
Bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
1 pinch saffron threads
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup white wine
4 skinless chicken thighs or breasts
2 cups bomba rice
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb of jumbo shrimp
1/2 on of mussels

Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add chopped tomato, bay leaf, paprika, saffron salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add white wine and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.

Add chicken pieces and rice to the pot. Cook for 1 minute.

Pour the broth slowly all around the pan and jiggle the pan to get the rice into an even layer. (Do not stir the mixture going forward!).

Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Give the pan a gentle shake back and forth once or twice during cooking.

Cook for about 15-18 minutes (uncovered), then nestle the shrimp and mussels into the mixture. Continue to cook (without stirring) for about 5 more minutes. Watch for most of the liquid to be absorbed and the rice at the top nearly tender. (If for some reason your rice is still not cooked, add cup more water or broth and continue cooking).

Remove pan from heat and cover pan with a lid or tinfoil. Place a kitchen towel over the lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Garnish lemon slices. Serve.

Edit: I also like to add a little chorizo. Not exactly Spanish or Valencian, but I like it. If doing so, cook a link before sauteing vegetables. Set it aside and add back with chicken.
Here4Beer
AG
Thank you!!
DiskoTroop
DeWrecking Crew said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Of all the things the wife makes, this is my favorite of hers. I don't know all the ins and outs, but I know it has to be done in a certain pan and it has to slow cook in Coca-Cola, it is straight phenomenal.

Sounds like my recipe!! Fresh tortillas, sour cream, onion, cotija, some Yellowbird Serrano sauce, cilantro and a squeeze of lime and my whole family is in heaven. Just kills every time.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife's signature dish: extra crispy shake n bake pork chops and Velveeta shells and cheese.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.