Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Meal ideas

2,782 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rwtxag83
Stringfellow Hawke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been cooking/grilling/smoking the same meals for awhile and looking for new ideas. Thanks.
BackPocket
Crock pot
French onion soup mix
Any meat
Any liquid
Some veggiea

Take pics and post on IG
eric76
AG
A dinner of Polish sausage, German potatoes, saurkraut, and Carlsberg Elephant Beer is good once in a while.

Also, your favorite Mexican foods are good. Say guacamole, tacos, refried beans, and Mexican rice.

Also chicken fried steak with cream gravy, mashed potatoes, and another vegetable such as either field peas or green peas make a wonderful meal.

Fried chicken, country fried potatoes, and okra patties can't be beat.

For okra patties, get some small okra and slice about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Mix flour, water, baking soda, and salt to the consistency of a pancake batter. Mix in the okra pieces, and drop a half cup at a time into hot oil in a pan. Fry until a golden brown on each side. Eat while still hot.

Regarding the okra patties, I've always made them with fresh okra. Growing up on the farm, my mother always made them with fresh okra. That makes them kind of seasonal. I'm thinking about getting some frozen sliced okra and seeing how that works. If it does work, then we could have okra patties year round.
GIF Reactor
AG
To me the recommendations depend on how much prep and effort you want to put in to it. I'll assume you want some fast and / or easy ideas.

It doesn't get any easier than crock pot Mississippi roast, and it tastes great. Pick your favorite roast, au jus powder, ranch dressing powder, butter, and pepperocini peppers. I add in sliced onions in mine.

There is a Detroit-style deep dish pizza recipe on this forum that was super easy and turned out great, even for a first timer. Just takes a little planning ahead with the dough. Good for a Friday night or weekend.

Cheese enchiladas are tasty, easy to make in large batches, and also easily customized. Left overs are great with these as well.

We like to do breakfast tacos for supper every once in a while. The HEB pre-baked tortillas are great. Lots of salsa recommendations on this forum.

SOS tastes good, is easy to prepare, and is filling.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup - fast and easy.

Crock pot ideas can be found by the billions on the innerwebs. I like the sloppy joe, Mississippi roast, and chicken and dumplings.

We recently made a sheet pan chicken pot pie using a recipe found on HEB. It was actually pretty good and wasn't difficult to throw together.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

To me the recommendations depend on how much prep and effort you want to put in to it. I'll assume you want some fast and / or easy ideas.

It doesn't get any easier than crock pot Mississippi roast, and it tastes great. Pick your favorite roast, au jus powder, ranch dressing powder, butter, and pepperocini peppers. I add in sliced onions in mine.

There is a Detroit-style deep dish pizza recipe on this forum that was super easy and turned out great, even for a first timer. Just takes a little planning ahead with the dough. Good for a Friday night or weekend.

Cheese enchiladas are tasty, easy to make in large batches, and also easily customized. Left overs are great with these as well.

We like to do breakfast tacos for supper every once in a while. The HEB pre-baked tortillas are great. Lots of salsa recommendations on this forum.

SOS tastes good, is easy to prepare, and is filling.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup - fast and easy.

Crock pot ideas can be found by the billions on the innerwebs. I like the sloppy joe, Mississippi roast, and chicken and dumplings.

We recently made a sheet pan chicken pot pie using a recipe found on HEB. It was actually pretty good and wasn't difficult to throw together.

I enjoy cooking and prep/cook time is not a big concern. Mainly just looking for ideas you cannot get from google. For example, recipes handed down from grandparents etc.
MizooAg94
AG
Cover the bottom of a pan with good olive oil. Quarter and season a chicken and brown. Remove from pan. Add lots of onion and soften, then plenty of garlic. Add a cup or so of water and chicken bouillon or just chicken stock. Now add as much curry as you desire and saffron. Return chicken and cook covered. Boil some rice, we use two cups because it's amazing leftover. When the rice has a bite add to the sauce and chicken and finish uncovered. It will need to be salt and peppered but we do that on the plate. It is Haitian and called spicy chicken. Enjoy...
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
That is what I am looking for. Thanks.
The Sparrow Prince
What's your meal rotation now? Specifics
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Typically grill or smoke steak, brisket, chicken and sausage along with a salad and a vegetable.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
MizooAg94 said:

Cover the bottom of a pan with good olive oil. Quarter and season a chicken and brown. Remove from pan. Add lots of onion and soften, then plenty of garlic. Add a cup or so of water and chicken bouillon or just chicken stock. Now add as much curry as you desire and saffron. Return chicken and cook covered. Boil some rice, we use two cups because it's amazing leftover. When the rice has a bite add to the sauce and chicken and finish uncovered. It will need to be salt and peppered but we do that on the plate. It is Haitian and called spicy chicken. Enjoy...

That's a big pan.
HTownAg98
https://www.simonmajumdar.com/life-saving-dahl

You can grill some eggplant and then do this. I make this 2-3 times per month in the summer.
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/health/nutrition/02recipehealth.html

Dried bean salads are a great source of protein and you won't heat up the whole house cooking them.

This soup is great on its own, can be served warm or cold, and it great with some soft boiled eggs. http://www.myfudo.com/stew-soup-recipes-cold-tomato-bisque-recipe-by-jacques-pepin/
aggiespartan
AG
We had crawfish etouffee tonight. We don't have it that often, but it's always good when we do. We've been doing a lot of stir fry because it's easy. All of the roast chicken recipes in The Food Lab are great.
JCA1
AG
I made risotto the other day using pho soup broth as the stock. Turned out very good.
Rattler12
Ham SOS , Bite size chunks of a good smoked ham in a butter based white gravy of flour, half and half, garlic salt and black pepper to taste. Garlic mashed potatoes with chopped cilantro mixed in. Baby limas w/bacon
GarlandAg2012
AG
Simple as hell but it's been one of my go-to's lately:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/stuffed-peppers/63e29e18-903e-467c-aec5-fba4ce3a138f

I use the microwave-in-bag rice to make it even quicker/easier.

If you make a little extra filling, then reheat in a skillet with some blistered cherry tomatoes and eggs, you end up with one of the best breakfast taco fillings out there.
Tailgate88
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Simple as hell but it's been one of my go-to's lately:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/stuffed-peppers/63e29e18-903e-467c-aec5-fba4ce3a138f

I use the microwave-in-bag rice to make it even quicker/easier.

If you make a little extra filling, then reheat in a skillet with some blistered cherry tomatoes and eggs, you end up with one of the best breakfast taco fillings out there.
Will definitely be trying these!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Very similar to the recipe I use. Might want to add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes to the linked recipe.
rwtxag83
AG
[url=https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/creamy-baked-fettuccine-with-asiago-and-thyme-recipe-1948190]https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/creamy-baked-fettuccine-with-asiago-and-thyme-recipe-1948190[/url]

incredible
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.