Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sourdough

2,115 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SACR
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying this for the first time this week. Don't have much experience with bread, but a great sourdough is one of my absolute favorite things, and after reading about the process decided I have to give it a try. I've read a few blogs about sourdough starter, and it seems that most people follow a fairly similar process, but with some subtle differences.

I got my starter going this morning. My general plan is to check daily to see that it's bubbled and risen. One article I read said to only feed when it's "hungry", as indicated by the volume receding slightly and the starter getting less pasty and more liquidy. I'll see if I have that happening tomorrow I guess. I've also read conflicting reports on whether a rank smell is acceptable or evidence that you have a bad batch.

I'm interested to hear thoughts from anyone who has experience with this, on what has worked for you...any tips, tricks, things to look for, potential pitfalls, etc.
terradactylexpress
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/05/sourdough-starter.html
aggiespartan
AG
We've followed Ken Forkish's recipes before from Flour Water Salt Yeast. I'm starting a new one using this guy's recipes now. Artisan Bryan
Duncan Idaho
When you get a stable mature culture going. Dry some out and freeze it so you can jump start a new culture after you inevitably kill yours
FancyKetchup14
AG
I always feed mine in the morning in ~24 hour windows. Equal parts whole wheat and water. Once it's strong I store in the fridge and feed once a week.

Making bread with sourdough starter can be a huge pain in the ass, but it's really good when you nail it.
SACR
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

I always feed mine in the morning in ~24 hour windows. Equal parts whole wheat and water. Once it's strong I store in the fridge and feed once a week.

Making bread with sourdough starter can be a huge pain in the ass, but it's really good when you nail it.
I talked to a NY-style pizza consultant once about making sourdough pizza.

He cautioned me to not waste my life, said many people have spent years 'chasing the dragon', trying to make the perfect sourdough pizza dough, and it becomes an obsession that ultimately makes you unhappy.

I've never been tempted enough by sourdough to want to make the bread, but I did heed his warning about pizza.

Maybe one day I'll try it for kicks, but for now, I'm happy sticking with regular dough, and occasionally make pizza with biga.
SACR
AG

If you do a search on this forum for the last 6 months, pretty sure we had an active sourdough bread thread with lots of advice. Think it kicked off around the time the pandemic lockdown happened in March, but can't be certain.
SACR
AG

Found the thread I was looking for - Sourdough starter

Scotts Tot
AG
Thanks!
Scotts Tot
AG
After the first feeding on day 2 it grew like crazy, like tripled in 12 hours. This was way faster than what I had read, which mostly says wait 24 hrs between feeding until a few days in. So I decided to wait until the next morning to feed, and sure enough it was totally deflated and I haven't been able to recover it in the 2 days since. Starting over now...
aggiespartan
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

After the first feeding on day 2 it grew like crazy, like tripled in 12 hours. This was way faster than what I had read, which mostly says wait 24 hrs between feeding until a few days in. So I decided to wait until the next morning to feed, and sure enough it was totally deflated and I haven't been able to recover it in the 2 days since. Starting over now...
I had mine in a plastic container. My husband and I went to have drinks outside with the neighbors. When we came back, the container was chewed open and completely empty. The dog may be developing some separation anxiety with both of us working from home.
SACR
AG
aggiespartan said:

FlyFisher09 said:

I had mine in a plastic container. My husband and I went to have drinks outside with the neighbors. When we came back, the container was chewed open and completely empty. The dog may be developing some separation anxiety with both of us working from home.
For a second there....."She created THE BLOB?!?!"
FancyKetchup14
AG
SACR said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

I talked to a NY-style pizza consultant once about making sourdough pizza.

He cautioned me to not waste my life, said many people have spent years 'chasing the dragon', trying to make the perfect sourdough pizza dough, and it becomes an obsession that ultimately makes you unhappy.

I've never been tempted enough by sourdough to want to make the bread, but I did heed his warning about pizza.

Maybe one day I'll try it for kicks, but for now, I'm happy sticking with regular dough, and occasionally make pizza with biga.

It's definitely a labor of love. I got started, like many others, by reading Flour, Salt, Water, Yeast. Not sure if you have it, but the poolish recipe from that book is my favorite one. Taste like butter and makes an amazing pizza, too.
SACR
AG

I have Forkish's Elements of Pizza , although I understand some people's criticism of the book.

I've never bought FWSY, probably because I'd already been making bread and pizza for a while before I heard about his book.
FancyKetchup14
AG
If you're ever wanting to make it...this makes one loaf

Poolish (pre-ferment):
  • 250g white flour
  • 250g water
  • 1/8 tsp of yeast
  • let sit for 12 hours

Final dough:
  • 250g white flour
  • 125g water
  • 10g of sea salt
  • 2g of yeast
  • all of the poolish

Timetable I use is as follows:
  • 12 hours for poolish to ferment (mix at 8pm)
  • mix poolish with final dough (8am)
  • shape loaves 2-3 hours later
  • proof one hour
  • bake

It's incredible. Super gassy and really airy crumb.
SACR
AG

I make a focaccia bread with biga that is very similar to this recipe, except you let the biga sit for 24 hours.

One of the intellectual problems I have with my own recipe (and this recipe) is the use of yeast after already having a biga or a poolish.

In theory, you already have a starter going in biga or poolish, so you shouldn't need to add yeast because the biga/poolish is the yeast replacement.

Yet adding that yeast can make the difference in rising time and taste.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.