Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Craft ice maker/mold suggestions?

2,644 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BusterAg
Silvertaps
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apologies if this has been discussed in the past.
I did a search and didn't find anything.

There are quite a few molds out there for cube/ball craft ice
Does anyone have suggestions on what they like best?

A few I've found as an example:

https://icecubist.com/

https://www.wintersmiths.com/
gigemags87
AG
I have the Wintersmith Ice Chest with square cubes and it works well. I bought it when it was the only clear cube mold out there but it's way too expensive imo at $120. One fits perfectly in a double old fashioned.

Another option is the Rabbit brand tray on amazon. Way better at $17 but smaller cubes. The size is somewhat odd as one seems too small but two stack and aren't super convenient.

Metrokane Rabbit Clear Ice Cube Tray, Gray - R4-01511 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRM0CJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DH0gFb49PJFD2

Another thing you could try that I've seen but not done is use a small insulated cooler/lunch box (like the 6-can ones from igloo or Coleman) with no top to make your own large clear Ice rectangle and use a serrated knife to cut the shapes you want.
htxag09
AG
The link in the above isn't a bad price. Never tried it as I have never been too worried about clear ice cubes, my cloudy spheres are fine for me. But Alton brown had a good eats reload where he used a standard silicone ice cube mold and a styrofoam cooler.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/dnpc-ice-cubes-dang-near-perfectly-clear-reloaded-8806463
Latrobe
AG
I use the Ticent Clear Ice Ball maker (got it on Amazon). Been very happy with it.
BusterAg
AG
gigemags87 said:

Another thing you could try that I've seen but not done is use a small insulated cooler/lunch box (like the 6-can ones from igloo or Coleman) with no top to make your own large clear Ice rectangle and use a serrated knife to cut the shapes you want.
This is what I do. It takes just under 24 hours in my freezer. It's important that you take it out before the water freezes all the way through, that is when the pressure cracks form. You should have a bit of unfrozen water on the bottom of the igloo if you do it right.

As for cutting, I use an old bread knife to score each side about 1/4th they way through, and then break off into sink. Sometimes you get jagged edges, but I think those look cool, too. You can rinse with water to take off any sharp peices.

I used distilled water out of my counter-top distiller.
In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense -George Orwell, 1984, Part 1, Chapter 7
JYDog90
AG
BusterAg said:

I used distilled water out of my counter-top distiller.

Distilled or purified water?
Formerly Willy Wonka
BusterAg
AG

Not my brand, but something like this.

It distills water.

I like it.
In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense -George Orwell, 1984, Part 1, Chapter 7
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.