Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Mexican Vanilla Expiration?

1,286 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 62strat
txaggie_2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a few bottles of Villa Vainilla Vanilla Concentrate (one open, a couple unopened) that I got in Mexico on a cruise some years ago. Today I noticed that they have an "02 20" expiration label on the bottom of the bottle. I've used the open bottle a couple of times since February without issue so I'm wondering how long it will really last. It contains alcohol but the label doesn't say how much (their vanilla extract that you can buy online is in 35% alcohol but that's a different product than the concentrate, which is not available online). Certainly the quality will degrade over time but does anyone have any thoughts regarding when it would actually expire from a food safety perspective and be unusable?
Duncan Idaho
it will be as safe to use as it was the day you bought it.
Austintm
Duncan Idaho said:

it will be as safe to use as it was the day you bought it.
That could go either way
Diggity
AG
your liver will thank you if you just throw that crap out
Joseydog
AG
Someone gave me a large bottle years ago and I still use it. It is almost gone now, but no one has experienced any issues when I cooked with it.
jel_2002
AG
I had a bottle that was so old that the cork started deteriorating. Wife got it from her Grandma's house. We used almost the whole thing, and finally gave up on it when there was lots of crumbled cork pieces in the very last of what was left.
aggiespartan
AG
It's fine. It's mostly alcohol anyway.
62strat
AG
Vanilla concentrate?

Not familiar with that terminology.. I've only seen extract, or flavoring which is fake stuff.

Extract, by definition, will have a lot of alcohol in it.

read this.
https://kitchensavvy.com/mexican-vanilla-extract
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.