Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Am I the only one who thinks a good grilled chopped steak is just fine....

7,295 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MarylandAG
Hwy30East
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Absolutely delicious!!!!!! That pork chop is just not a season it up and throw it on the grill chop either. There's a several day Prep process and brine to it. It's worth every penny and more on those lunch day specials.
Bruce Almighty
AG
What is the pork chop from?
John Francis Donaghy
Bruce Almighty said:

Perry's Steakhouse. And it runs $40-sum at dinner, but they serve it for lunch on Fridays only for dirt cheap, under $20 including sides.
FIDO*98*
AG
SACR said:

Is this a salisbury steak without the gravy?

No, adding things like eggs, binders, etc. means you have individual meatloafs which is essentially Salisbury steak without the gravy.

Chopped Steak was correctly described above as ground beef with a slightly coarser texture when done correctly. This is best accomplished by "grinding" by pulsing in a food processor until 1/8-1/4" cubes are achieved. I season it like steak or a burger and use salt and pepper only, cook to medium, and top with griddled onions and jalapenos.

MarylandAG
What are the rules for posting a recipe from a cookbook? Can they be posted as long as you cite/credit the cookbook?

I have a Luby's cookbook and it has their chopped steak recipe. If allowed I will post it. They call it bacon and cheese steaks.
HTownAg98
John Francis Donaghy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Perry's Steakhouse. And it runs $40-sum at dinner, but they serve it for lunch on Fridays only for dirt cheap, under $20 including sides.

The lunch chop is a three finger chop, while the dinner one is a five finger chop. It usually comes with mashed potatoes and applesauce. It is worth every penny. If you go, get a reservation.
Furlock Bones
AG
Chopped steak with caramelized onions.
cadetjay02
AG
I'd suggest just saying it's your grandma's recipe that she got from working at Luby's in the 80's or some nonsense like that. I don't think you need to worry about a permaban or the copyright police.
Old RV Ag
AG
B-1 83 said:

on occasion? The HEBs had their Prime One chopped sirloin with poblano and cheese on special. I'll season it up, and eat that $#@& cooked medium.
Have you ever tried butter dry aging it?
austinag1997
AG
That Perry's pork chop is 3 meals for me. Damn, its a good deal.
Panama Red
AG
MarylandAG said:

What are the rules for posting a recipe from a cookbook? Can they be posted as long as you cite/credit the cookbook?

I have a Luby's cookbook and it has their chopped steak recipe. If allowed I will post it. They call it bacon and cheese steaks.

You can't copyright a list of ingredients.

Go ahead and list what's in it and tell us "in your own words" what to do with those ingredients.
MarylandAG
From a third cousin, twice removed, who worked at a Luby's in the 80's, he said the non copyright-able list of ingredients was something like this:

A cup of cooked bacon pieces
2 cups of shredded American cheese (8 oz)
1/2 cup of sliced green onions
8 slices of white bread without the crust
1/2 of beef broth
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
2 teaspoons of ground pepper
3 lbs of ground beef chuck
2 XL eggs

mix the bacon, cheese, and onions and set them aside, break bread up by hand and mix it with the broth in a bowl to get it soft, add the salt, pepper, chuck and the eggs, and get it mixed well. Divide it up into 8 portions, make them into a ball then flatten them to an oval shape, keep them in the fridge until you are ready to cook. In a large skillet about medium heat cook the ovals a few minutes each side (about 3 min per), when cooked place in foiled lined baking sheet, top with the bacon, cheese, onion mixture. and place in a preheated 350 F oven for a few minutes to get the cheese melted, these are then topped with a "natural gravy", which is essentially an au jus, found with the powdered gravy, chili mixes and other powdered things at your local super market

The natural gravy had beef broth, pan drippings, worcestershire sauce, kitchen bouquet seasoning, black pepper, bay leaves and salt to taste.

I considered it blasphemy to consume a Luby's cheese steak without a side of mac n cheese, again my distant cousin, said the ingredients included:

8 oz macaroni
4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 1/4 boiling water
12 ounces shredded American cheese 1/4 teaspoon salt

cook the pasta per package directions, drain it, in bowl mix the milk, flour, butter, whisk and add water slowly, add a cup of cheese and keep on whisking until smooth and creamy, add in the macaroni and another cup cheese and the salt, transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 min, remove the foil and add remaining cheese on top, while you are at it, go get some more cheese and get the pasta nice and covered, because you really can't have too much cheese, right? Put it back in the oven, uncovered until the cheese on top melts, dig in!!!
MarylandAG
I suspect those ovals would be right at home on a blackstone griddle, but that is just my opinion.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.