Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Tomahawk Steak

2,646 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MW03
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First time, turned out incredibly tender, juicy & great smokey/beef flavor.

3# HEB Prime bone-in, probably 2.5" cut
Seasoned w/ Light avocado oil, coarse sea salt, pepper & Montreal seasoning.
Sat for about 2 hours, 60, before pic
Smoker at 250 w/hickory, ~1.5 hours
Pulled at 110
Melted butter & onto 550 hot coals
Turned several times, pulled at 125, after pic
Rest for 10 minutes, temp increasex to 140 before slicing, home run pic

Cajun tators, sliced tomatoes w/ herbs, olive oil parm sprinkle

Wife was about to orgasm at the table w/compliments, so hopefully that ... gotta go

AKA 13-0
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
I think the proper word is foodgasm.
HTownAg98
The first prime one I ever did was seared well, cooked to the proper temp, and was chewy. I want to try it again, because I think I just got a bad steak. I'll cut it on the bias next time to make sure it isn't tough.
BackPocket
I prefer medium rare instead of medium, but that's a good looking steak.
62strat
AG
A bit over done for my tastes too.. and for a reverse sear, that seems like a lot of gray. Love the visual when the red goes all the way to the edge of the meat. I would have guessed you just threw it on a grill at 350-400 for a while.

Also, no need to turn several times on a sear. Drop it down, let it sit, turn it once, let it sit, then it's done.
ClickClack
AG
Just got my Weber smoker delivered today. I definitely want to attempt this. Looks amazing.
RCR06
AG
The carry over on the sear can sometimes "get you".
DrEvazanPhD
OP user name checks out.

NATE AG03
AG
Don't listen to the gray police. Great looking steak.
MW03
AG
62strat said:

Also, no need to turn several times on a sear. Drop it down, let it sit, turn it once, let it sit, then it's done.

From Kenji:

Quote:

If there's one piece of steak-grilling advice that people seem to get more persnickety about than anything, it's that your steak should only be flipped once.

False. This is another hang-on gleaned from steakhouses in which it's simply impractical for a cook to flip more than once given the number of steaks they have cooking on a grill at the same time. At home, you're probably only cooking a few steaks at a time, and it's okindeed, it's betterto flip your steaks more often.

You don't have to take my word for it either. Famed food scientist and author Harold McGee has been advocating this method for years (and has the data to prove its efficacy). Dave Arnold over at Cooking Issues has replicated his tests, as have I (with hamburgers). You can quite easily do the test for yourself.

By flipping a steak multiple timesas often as once every 15 seconds or soyou not only end up with meat that's more evenly cooked, you also cut down on your cook time by as much as a third, and develop a great crust on top of that. This is because with multiple flips, neither side is exposed to intense heat for too long, nor does it lose much heat to the relatively cool air above. It's the equivalent of cooking it from both directions simultaneously.

That said, the difference in the end result is not too pronounced, so if you want to leave the steak alone and enjoy your beer, or if you feel the need to placate that annoying uncle who gets visibly angered by mutli-flippers, go ahead and use the one-flip methodit won't destroy your steak.

Similarly, using a fork to lift and flip will absolutely not destroy it. To hear people balk at the fork-flippers, you'd think that a steak is something like a water balloon, ready to shed all its moisture from a single puncture. This is not how a steak behaves. Rather than a balloon filled with liquid, a steak is actually a series of many many thousands of long, skinny balloons filled with liquid. Puncturing a single one will have no effect on its neighbor, and the amount of juice contained in a fork-poke-ful of punctures is small enough not to be noticed.

Still, I find it easier to turn steaks with a combination of spatula-and-tong or spoon-and-tong (or check out our favorite kitchen tongs and decide for yourself).
62strat
AG
MW03 said:

62strat said:

From Kenji:

Quote:

If there's one piece of steak-grilling advice that people seem to get more persnickety about than anything, it's that your steak should only be flipped once.

False. This is another hang-on gleaned from steakhouses in which it's simply impractical for a cook to flip more than once given the number of steaks they have cooking on a grill at the same time. At home, you're probably only cooking a few steaks at a time, and it's okindeed, it's betterto flip your steaks more often.

You don't have to take my word for it either. Famed food scientist and author Harold McGee has been advocating this method for years (and has the data to prove its efficacy). Dave Arnold over at Cooking Issues has replicated his tests, as have I (with hamburgers). You can quite easily do the test for yourself.

By flipping a steak multiple timesas often as once every 15 seconds or soyou not only end up with meat that's more evenly cooked, you also cut down on your cook time by as much as a third, and develop a great crust on top of that. This is because with multiple flips, neither side is exposed to intense heat for too long, nor does it lose much heat to the relatively cool air above. It's the equivalent of cooking it from both directions simultaneously.

That said, the difference in the end result is not too pronounced, so if you want to leave the steak alone and enjoy your beer, or if you feel the need to placate that annoying uncle who gets visibly angered by mutli-flippers, go ahead and use the one-flip methodit won't destroy your steak.

Similarly, using a fork to lift and flip will absolutely not destroy it. To hear people balk at the fork-flippers, you'd think that a steak is something like a water balloon, ready to shed all its moisture from a single puncture. This is not how a steak behaves. Rather than a balloon filled with liquid, a steak is actually a series of many many thousands of long, skinny balloons filled with liquid. Puncturing a single one will have no effect on its neighbor, and the amount of juice contained in a fork-poke-ful of punctures is small enough not to be noticed.

Still, I find it easier to turn steaks with a combination of spatula-and-tong or spoon-and-tong (or check out our favorite kitchen tongs and decide for yourself).

We're not talking about cooking the steak.. the steak was already cooked (on his smoker). I am talking about the searing procedure, which is all of 1-2 minutes tops.

Flipping the steak over and over during the sear is counter productive. You want it to go through maillard reaction, and if you are flipping it over and over, it will never get hot enough to do that.

MW03
AG
ahh touche
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.