Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Offset wood smoker vs ceramic?

5,098 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Avid cook and BBQ person here. I have used a Cookshack electric over the years which produces great BBQ but I want to step it up a notch. What are yall's opinions on offset vs ceramic smokers? Seems the pros using offset. They are less expensive but appear to be harder to control temps.
TexAgs1992
I have a green egg and have mastered cooking pork butts and brisket on it. Temps are easily controllable so long as you know what you're doing. Be patient with it and it can stay at 250-275 for well over 7 or 8 hours. The versatility to cook and sear steaks at temps well above 550 make it worth all the more it costs.
Offsets are great if you have the time. If not, hard to beat ceramics.

Not sure you save much $ with one vs the other though. A well made offset with thick steel is going to be expensive.
80sGeorge
AG
If you are looking at offsets at Academy or HD then yes they are less expensive. If you want one like the pros it will be more expensive.

You will get 10 different opinions but the irrefutable fact is a stick burner cooks a better brisket.

It is also a fact that the stick burner will require more attention and fuel.

I have both, along with a Weber. Not an expert by any means but been cooking on each for over 15 years.

Flame away.
javajaws
AG
Gravity feed...best of both worlds. But $$
Vernada
AG
Quote:

irrefutable fact is a stick burner cooks a better brisket.
lol

one thing's there not much of in BBQing is 'irrefutable' facts.
BSD
AG
I had a XL BGE for several years. I really liked it. It was versatile and easy to manage. But one thing I always noticed was that I got a creosote type flavor on long low cooks. Luckily I won a cheap Old Country Pecos smoker from Daniel Vaughn in some giveaway he did. The long cooks were so much better in that thing. After a few years I found myself using the offset so much more. After not using the egg for a year or two, I sold it and upgraded the pit to a Mill Scale. Now everything I do is live fire (had a live fire table grill fabricated for faster cooks like steaks and burgers). It may take a little longer to get going, but I love the true smoke flavor much better. And it's playing with fire, which is cool.
Bruce Almighty
AG
As someone that doesn't want to babysit a smoker all day, I love my egg. I can put a brisket or a pork butt on in the morning, leave for a few hours, and don't have to worry about anything. I also love the versatility. I can smoke a brisket at 225 one day and cook a pizza at 600 the next. That said, you probably aren't going to win any bbq competitions using an egg.
03_Aggie
Amount may be a good differentiator. I never sprung for a ceramic but did have an Akorn for a while. It cooked completely different than my offset but turned out good BBQ.

Which one I used depended on how much meat I was cooking. I wasn't firing up the offset for a single brisket or pork butt.
Joe Exotic
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

As someone that doesn't want to babysit a smoker all day, I love my egg. I can put a brisket or a pork butt on in the morning, leave for a few hours, and don't have to worry about anything. I also love the versatility. I can smoke a brisket at 225 one day and cook a pizza at 600 the next. That said, you probably aren't going to win any bbq competitions using an egg.

People regularly win bbq competitions with ceramics. Sometimes even with WSM's.
Fleff
AG
Someone above mentioned it but I would ask how much meat you want to throw on the pit when you cook. If it is only one brisket at a time then go with the ceramic. I think the benefits out weigh the negatives for small cooks.

If you want to throw a lot of meat on the pit look at an offset, gravity fed, cabinet, or even a pellet. All are going to hold a lot more meat and have different pros and cons.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Guess the consensus is ceramic. My cooks are usually for <6 people. Like the Primo large oval. But $1500.
Fleff
AG
If cost is a factor, you can pick up a Weber Smokey mountain. It won't have the versatility that a ceramic does but great BBQ will be produced.

Ceramic has that ability to be a grill and smoker. WSM is going to be only a smoker, but that would be the limitation with an offset or all other dedicated smokers.
80sGeorge
AG
Suggest calling PitMan who posts on OB and pricing a small offset. If you want to be able to grill also I'm sure he could make the firebox with a lid and expanded metal for a grate.

https://www.facebook.com/profabtx/?eid=ARDD51TjOTplElfCTtzn67NNu7ZnoqTmtI1oIfgRgFOIrgGV7KT5svkJmXrGzh5jPKZKlctwrx0P3TLI
ftworthag02
AG
After doing a lot of research I went with the primo xl. I love it! So far I've done pork butts, brisket, and reverse sear steaks. My local vendor is a great guy that will answer any question, almost any time of day. They're not cheap but as my vendor said you will probably pass it down to your eventual son in laws and it will still be working perfectly. Plus its made in Georgia.
Best of luck!
BSD
AG
80sGeorge said:

Suggest calling PitMan who posts on OB and pricing a small offset. If you want to be able to grill also I'm sure he could make the firebox with a lid and expanded metal for a grate.

https://www.facebook.com/profabtx/?eid=ARDD51TjOTplElfCTtzn67NNu7ZnoqTmtI1oIfgRgFOIrgGV7KT5svkJmXrGzh5jPKZKlctwrx0P3TLI

Pitman built my fire table grill. It's dry out for a mid-June day so we are about to grill on it here in a few hours!

STX Ag
AG
Dude that is awesome.
CrawfordAg
AG
I have a Primo XL and have cooked on it for 4 plus years. I love the versatility and shape for two zone cooking, makes for an easy reverse sear set up. The setup handles grilling, smoking and even cold smoking with the right ambient temps outside. With that being said , I wanted another challenge and additional versatility so I am working on an outdoor kitchen setup to go along with my primo and a built in griddle top.

I am adding an Argentine grill from Urban Asado simliar to below that should be delivered in July as well as an offset from Mill Scale that should be delivered in the fall. I feel like I should be able to handle anything for groups up to 40 or so which is more than enough. Hoping this set up should take care of me for the next 20-30 years.

BSD- Love those live fire set ups, I am interested in a table/portable version but Mill Scale is a little too proud of their products than I am willing to pay for. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that type of setup put you back?

Urban Asado

Mill Scale

fav13andac1)c
AG
I recently purchased a Vision Grill Kamado from Academy and through 6 cooks have been satisfied with it. Especially with its $700 price tag.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/vision-grills-pro-series-kamado-ceramic-charcoal-grill
BSD
AG
Pitman's table grill was about a third of the cost of the other guys.

I didn't get any pics last night but we had some seriously marbled Wagyu strips, some Flannery hanger steaks, a few other steaks, some Franklin BBQ sausages (bought cold), and grilled asparagus and Halloumi cheese. I'm still full.

Once we remodel the back yard, I'm adding some sort of cooking contraption built in. I'll be using Backline Fabrication for that project.
Duncan Idaho
Ceramic pros:
Much easier and more versatile

Ceramic cons: much small capacity
L8HIT
AG
If you decide on a Primo be sure to get the XL one - I have one and trust me the Large is too small.

I've never had issues with mine but wish they had a rotisserie set up for it.
the pit man
80sGeorge said:

Thank you Sir. Yes I can add a cooking rack for the fire box
GeorgiAg
AG
L8HIT said:

If you decide on a Primo be sure to get the XL one - I have one and trust me the Large is too small.

Will the Joetisserrie work? I have one and it is awesome.
Tailgate88
AG
If you want to dip your toe in the dome category without spend a grand, you can grab an Akorn for about $300. They aren't ceramic but I think triple metal shielded so they hold the weight nearly as well. I got it for Father's Day and so far we've cooked burgers, pizza, lots of steaks, and smoked a pork butt. I'm doing tri-tip this weekend. I love it.

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/kamado-grills

I've got another $70 in mine with a cover and smoking/pizza stone.
88Warrior
I've had my Hasty Bake for close to 10 years now and have been extremely pleased. Made in Tulsa.

?v=1587582322

cecil77
AG
Ceramics have a distinct disadvantage IMO.

One of the biggest enjoyment of smoking is: "Sorry, Honey. I can't. I have to tend the fire."
Tailgate88
AG
cecil77 said:

Ceramics have a distinct disadvantage IMO.

One of the biggest enjoyment of smoking is: "Sorry, Honey. I can't. I have to tend the fire."

All you have to do is fiddle with the air vents every 15 minutes or so and you're "tending the fire". Just don't let the wife know it's unnecessary. 1/16th inch open... 1/16th inch closed.
Dalhousietrio
Wow just checked out Mill Scale! I want one! Anything you don't like about yours?
L8HIT
AG
GeorgiAg said:

L8HIT said:

Will the Joetisserrie work? I have one and it is awesome.
Nope, I have the XL oval.
aTm2004
AG
I have a Kamado Joe and a custom built offset, and I can't tell you the last time I used my offset. The KJ is just too easy, especially with 3 tots running around. I can't get as good of a bark on briskets or pork butts as I can on the offset, but that doesn't mean the meat isn't delicious. I seared steaks on it last night and plan to smoke some ribs on Sunday. I've reverse seared steaks, cooked pizzas, and even baked a cobbler on it.

The ceramics are expensive, but they're worth every penny IMO. Especially if you cook on them often. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the big 3 (BGE, Primo, and KJ), but I can tell you KJ's lifetime ceramic warranty is awesome. I registered my pit when I got it and ended up cracking the fire box when we moved, so I just filled out a form on their website and attached a picture, then I had a new (the new style vs. the old that I cracked) one at my door in about a week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.