Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Traeger Pellet Grills

2,217 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by n_touch
BClark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone own one? Recommend or no? Costco has what looks to be a really nice deal on one right now.
aggiebonzo
AG
Love mine - use it 2 or 3 times a week
ftworthag02
AG
Green mountain or Rectec

Traeger was the first but now it sounds their being passed on the right for better quality product
aggiebonzo
AG
The RecTecs are nice but I would avoid the Green Mountain Grillls after seeing them. My buddy got one bc it's was cheaper and has bad buyers remorse. RecTecs are nice but same price point.
BClark
AG
My propane grill still works fine. Is it dumb to have both?
MikesFamousJava
AG
No, keep your gas grill if you get a pellet grill. Most of them don't sear well, so you'll likely want your gas grill for burgers and getting a seat on steaks (reverse sear method...cook on Traeger until 110-120 then finish with sear on gas grill). I have a Traeger, and it won't sear. Mine is old, and the new models may do better, but I'm not confident that any models with the heat deflector will provide a good sear. Some other brands of pellet grills have portions of the deflector plate that can be removed for searing. If you're only going to have a pellet grill (no gas or charcoal), I'd look for one of those.
B-1 83
AG
Neighbor is a great competition BBQ cook from way back. He still throws briskets, ribs, and chicken on his big stick burner, then uses the pellet grill to finish. The pellet grill just doesn't smoke as well.
ORAggieFan
Depends on the smoker and pellets. A Traeger with Traeger brand pellets, correct. A higher end smoker with quality pellets, I'd disagree. You can make some amazing BBQ with a pellet smoker and quality pellets. Not that a stick burner doesn't make great bbq as well.
n_touch
aggiebonzo said:

The RecTecs are nice but I would avoid the Green Mountain Grillls after seeing them. My buddy got one bc it's was cheaper and has bad buyers remorse.

May I ask why? Had a Green Mountain for two years now and love it. Use it weekly.
pablof
I too have enjoyed the green mountain grill for a couple years. No problems! Getting a Yoder for more cooking surface and better heat retention, but not because of anything negative about the GMG.
Matilda
AG
I bought a traeger one year ago and agree that it's great for smoking but lacks the heat for a good sear. Plus mine screws up if i turn it to the highest setting. I was a complete novice and I've made several briskets that I think have turned out great, however, I'm in the market for a small gas grill for searing.
n_touch
Matilda said:

I bought a traeger one year ago and agree that it's great for smoking but lacks the heat for a good sear. Plus mine screws up if i turn it to the highest setting. I was a complete novice and I've made several briskets that I think have turned out great, however, I'm in the market for a small gas grill for searing.
I dont sear with my Green Mountain either. I do use the pizza attachment on a regular basis though.

Have you tried a smoke tube for extra flavor? I use it on all long smokes and it adds that extra smoke. You can find them pretty cheap on amazon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.