Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anyone cook with ghost peppers?

6,008 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spud1910
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
austinag1997 said:

I'm from Metairie. Its north of something... like Lafourche Parish.

Gotcha. You just sounded like those guys up in the Midwest who think black pepper is too spicy.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Got my hands on some Carolina Reapers yesterday. It was hot, but it wasn't "freak out on a YouTube video" hot. I actually ate two of them straight up. The heat peaks at about 5 minutes, and it was completely gone in about 20 minutes. My eyes watered a little bit, and there was a little sweat. My lips were the hottest.

That being said, about an hour afterwards, the pain sensors in my stomach went pretty wild. It felt like a really bad case blue "circular objects." I fought thru it for about 9 hours, and then I had enough. I had a small bowl of ice cream, and the pain went away within 15 minutes. No problems during the morning purge.

Biggest lessons learned. Don't eat them on an empty stomach, and chew, chew, CHEW! You want it going down like a paste. Make it easier for your stomach to digest. I eat about 6 habs a day. I could see myself replacing a couple of those with the reaper.
Ornlu
AG
Uhhhhh YEP. You got a problem buddy.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Made my own hot sauce this evening. 6 Carolina reapers, 12 ghost peppers, carrots, garlic, salt, vinegar, water, and lime juice. Smoked the peppers, carrots, and garlic. Pureed it all, and then strained it. I just put it in an old bbq sauce bottle. It's like a hotter version of Marie Sharp's habanero hot sauce.
Sazerac
AG
" I fought thru it for about 9 hours, and then I had enough."
tendiesinvesties08
AggieOO said:

Filled two Mason jars with serranos and black pearl peppers today to ferment.

Update?
25 years ago, if you said you'd be more successful in life if it wasn't for people actively working against you or oppressing you, they called you a paranoid schizophrenic. Today, they call those people Progressives.
SpiderDude
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Also, I recommend putting habaneros in vodka. I like the flavor of it & it's spicy!

Or Tequila. Torchy's tacos in Austin does a habenero infused Tequila for their Palomas that's excellent! I asked their Bartender for the method and they recommend infusing for 12 hours... tasting and either pulling or going another 12 hours if the heat isn't there yet. Anything beyond 24 hours and at that point it's pulled so much heat out that it's more of a spicy bitters than an infusion.
Here4Beer
AG
msechelski said:

Made my own hot sauce this evening. 6 Carolina reapers, 12 ghost peppers, carrots, garlic, salt, vinegar, water, and lime juice. Smoked the peppers, carrots, and garlic. Pureed it all, and then strained it. I just put it in an old bbq sauce bottle. It's like a hotter version of Marie Sharp's habanero hot sauce.

I can't imagine how hot that must be but it makes my mouth water looking at it.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It good, and after a few weeks of sitting in the fridge, it has gotten considerably hotter. Exactly what a super hot should be.
spud1910
AG
SpiderDude said:

GeorgiAg said:

Also, I recommend putting habaneros in vodka. I like the flavor of it & it's spicy!

Or Tequila. Torchy's tacos in Austin does a habenero infused Tequila for their Palomas that's excellent! I asked their Bartender for the method and they recommend infusing for 12 hours... tasting and either pulling or going another 12 hours if the heat isn't there yet. Anything beyond 24 hours and at that point it's pulled so much heat out that it's more of a spicy bitters than an infusion.
I did vodka with scorpions this summer. And made some salsa with them as well.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.