Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anyone cook with ghost peppers?

6,016 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spud1910
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Over the past few months, I've been working on building up my tolerance for spice. I'm at a point where habaneros are virtually painless. Anyone ever made the jump to something so high on the scoville scale? Is there a pepper between a habanero and a ghost chili I could try first?
austinag1997
AG
That's the next one up. But why are you on that mission?
OasisMan
AG
msechelski said:

...Is there a pepper between a habanero and a ghost chili I could try first?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Not really a mission. I think eating hotter foods has caused me to have a stronger craving for the spice, and I'm just not getting it from Habaneros. Yesterday I ate 3 of them just trying to get a little burn, and I got nothing. It's weird.
Anyway, I found a seed company (hippy seed company) that specializes in peppers from around the world. I ordered some seeds from them, and we'll see what happens. I got a carbonero (cross breed between a habanero and ghost chili), a chocolate habanero (hottest habanero), a brazilian moruga scorpion, and a yellow bhut jolokia.
RK
AG
I bought some reaper hot sauce a while back without really knowing what they were. Wowza. Hottest stuff I've had.
GIF Reactor
AG
msechelski said:

Not really a mission. I think eating hotter foods has caused me to have a stronger craving for the spice, and I'm just not getting it from Habaneros. Yesterday I ate 3 of them just trying to get a little burn, and I got nothing. It's weird.
Anyway, I found a seed company (hippy seed company) that specializes in peppers from around the world. I ordered some seeds from them, and we'll see what happens. I got a carbonero (cross breed between a habanero and ghost chili), a chocolate habanero (hottest habanero), a brazilian moruga scorpion, and a yellow bhut jolokia.
Have you lost your sense of taste or smell? If so, ruh roh...
CDub06
AG
I hate to tell you this, but you're an addict.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Must be the 'rona!
GeorgiAg
AG

Mad Dog Plutonium. 9 MILLION SCOVILLE UNITS. I bought this from Amazon, because I love hot sauce. Sure $100 for a little bottle is a lot, but I will probably never run out of it. Whenever I have a big amount of something I want to heat up, a toothpick will do it.

This stuff is no joke. If you look at it for too long, you start burning. It is a solid at room temp. I will put a toothpick in it and run it around in soup/salsa/bbq marinade and it is enough to light up an entire gallon + of liquid. I got some on my hand unknowingly and luckily only touched my lip. It burned up my entire mouth.

It's fun to play with, but be careful. The Youtube videos are funny. One guy ate it straight, was acting like it was nothing, then the video cut off - he had to go to the hospital.
True Anomaly
AG
Johnny Scoville on YouTube is incredible. That guy isn't human
Potcake
AG
So you eat them without a problem, the exit situation hasn't changed?
AggieOO
I love spicy food, and eat serranos almost daily. Habaneros still have some kick, but the don't really bother me.

The problem I find is that at some point shortly after habanero, there's no flavor, just heat. I like flavor with heat, not just spicy for the sake of being spicy.
austinag1997
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Mad Dog Plutonium. 9 MILLION SCOVILLE UNITS. I bought this from Amazon, because I love hot sauce. Sure $100 for a little bottle is a lot, but I will probably never run out of it. Whenever I have a big amount of something I want to heat up, a toothpick will do it.

This stuff is no joke. If you look at it for too long, you start burning. It is a solid at room temp. I will put a toothpick in it and run it around in soup/salsa/bbq marinade and it is enough to light up an entire gallon + of liquid. I got some on my hand unknowingly and luckily only touched my lip. It burned up my entire mouth.

It's fun to play with, but be careful. The Youtube videos are funny. One guy ate it straight, was acting like it was nothing, then the video cut off - he had to go to the hospital.
GeorgiAg
AG
AggieOO said:

I love spicy food, and eat serranos almost daily. Habaneros still have some kick, but the don't really bother me.

The problem I find is that at some point shortly after habanero, there's no flavor, just heat. I like flavor with heat, not just spicy for the sake of being spicy.
I agree with this. Anything above Habanero is just heat.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
So far, so good.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
The place I bought my seeds from does a video review of almost every pepper they sell, and the guy does nice reviews. It's not just a video of him eating something hot and talking about how hot it is. He'll note the flavors, when the heat hits, and when the heat starts to subside. He'll mention if he can still taste flavor or if it's just heat.
GeorgiAg
AG
Also, I recommend putting habaneros in vodka. I like the flavor of it & it's spicy!
GIF Reactor
AG
msechelski said:

Must be the 'rona!
If you had it, you probably burned it all away with the habaneros...
Slicer97
AG
GeorgiAg said:

AggieOO said:

Disagree. Ghosts, Scorpions, and Reapers have a flavor profile that other chiles do not. Yeah, it might need to be toned down a bit for most folks, but they definitely have a good, unique flavor.
HHAG
AG
9 million scovilles? Pure capsaicin is 16 million.

I have gone to slow smoking/drying my habs and then grinding them to make a coarse powder to add to soups and chilis.
SACR
AG
If habaneros aren't doing it, pickle one for 10 days, then try it.
austinag1997
AG
Slicer97 said:

GeorgiAg said:

AggieOO said:

Disagree. Ghosts, Scorpions, and Reapers have a flavor profile that other chiles do not. Yeah, it might need to be toned down a bit for most folks, but they definitely have a good, unique flavor.

I have to say, the vast majority of folks would disagree. You have some different taste buds. By way of example, Tabasco is too hot for most folks I know. Most folks in the deep south prefer Cajun Chef or Louisiana Hot sauce for flavoring their food. Why? Flavor and heat.

By your example, that is childs play. Consuming ghost or reaper peppers has no purpose in my world. May God be with you.
Slicer97
AG
I got it so bad, I made my own.

This bottle contains roughly 2.5 Reapers (the base is arbol with a little guajillo and chipotle and tempered with mesquite honey and blackstrap).

This is the same as above but with 5 Reapers and a little cayenne to prolong the burn.
SACR
AG
Does a drop of either sauce irritate the skin?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I had to put the bottle down a while back. I have a taste for alcohol the same way I have taste for heat.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Do you grow your own peppers? Up to this point, everything I have had was purchased at the grocery store. This will be my first experience with growing them.
austinag1997
AG
Whoa.
Slicer97
AG
Never tried growing them.
expresswrittenconsent
Give an idiot a label maker charity strikes again
AggieOO
Filled two Mason jars with serranos and black pearl peppers today to ferment.
RCR06
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Also, I recommend putting habaneros in vodka. I like the flavor of it & it's spicy!
There was a place under the Kemah bridge that did this to the vodka they used for bloody marys. I now do it myself. Makes a great bloody mary.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CBa4FGOpCOq

It's happening.
TXAG 05
AG
austinag1997 said:

Slicer97 said:

GeorgiAg said:

AggieOO said:

I have to say, the vast majority of folks would disagree. You have some different taste buds. By way of example, Tabasco is too hot for most folks I know. Most folks in the deep south prefer Cajun Chef or Louisiana Hot sauce for flavoring their food. Why? Flavor and heat.

By your example, that is childs play. Consuming ghost or reaper peppers has no purpose in my world. May God be with you.

Do you live up north? Most of the people I know don't think Tabasco or Louisiana have any heat at all. Like Slicer said, each pepper has a different flavor, and will use different sauces for different foods, depending on the flavor I'm going for. Just got Tabasco scorpion sauce that is pretty good.
austinag1997
AG
I'm from Metairie. Its north of something... like Lafourche Parish.
austinag1997
AG
Interestingly enough, Tabasco sauce was the 2nd patented food item in the U.S. Only 2nd to the deviled egg.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.