Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cold Smoked Cheese

1,636 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ag88man
JoeyB11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody ever tried cold smoking cheeses on a pellet smoker, like a Pit Boss? Tips, tricks, suggestions? Just got my pit boss and wanted to try it out.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I feel like there was a thread on this or someone brought it up on the Outdoors board once. May be worth a search there.
Ornlu
AG
I have not done it on a pellet smoker, but I did it once on an electric smoker.

Fill the water tray with ice. Run the temp at maximum, for about 5 minutes. Should bring the smoke up, and only get the temp up to 150 or so. Then cut the power, and use foil or butcher's paper to plug all of your air openings. The temp should come back down to <90 within about 5 more minutes. Then just let the cheese sit in the smoke for an hour or so. Rinse, lather, and repeat for 2x or 3x more.

I found that the cheese was over smoked with my method, but it mellowed over 5-7 days in the fridge. I did about 10 bricks of it, and the best was the habanero pepperjack.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
I do on my cookshack. They make a baffle specifically for this.
ORAggieFan
I'd get some sort of other box and route the smoke via a dryer hose. An old smoker that doesn't work or even a cardboard box will work.
GeorgiAg
AG
I bought a smoke gun for this. Works well. I smoke it in Tupperware. I will load the container with smoke and keep it until it dissipates. Then try the cheese. If it isn't smokey enough, light the "bong" again and go another round.

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BSM600SILUSC-Smoking-Smoker-Silver/dp/B072RCDQJS
ag88man
AG
I use a smoking tube with my grill turned off. I usually do this when the weather is cooler.
I smoke salt the same way.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.