Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Water Pan and Brisket

3,023 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by austinag1997
SidetrackAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of you use a water pan when smoking a brisket on offset smoker? I've never used one, but keep seeing people's post where they are using them, and they say it makes a ton of difference. Couple of questions:
1. Does it really make a difference?
2. Can I just use an aluminum disposable cake pan instead of buying a solid one?
3. When using, do you continue to use/refill with water after wrapping the brisket?
n_touch
I do in the beginning and watch how much moisture is building on the brisket. To much and you wont get a good bark. Once wrapped it will more moisture. Yes a cheap pan is fine.
Sazerac
AG
Water pans are used as a heat sink if your heat source isn't stable. Doesn't t do anything for moisture of the meat. If anything it can impair making the bark.
aTm_bomb
AG
Definately useful in kamados to moderate heat. also keeps the bottom from charing.
aggielax48
AG
Aaron Franklin does, so there's that.
SidetrackAg
AG
Thanks
ValleyRatAg
AG
Definitely use one in a Kamado. If your offset doesn't have a good deflector use one.
CDub06
AG
I always use one simply because Aaron Franklin does. He talks like a bbq scientist, so I'm taking his cues.

I don't refill and a cheap one is fine.
austinag1997
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

Definitely use one in a Kamado. If your offset doesn't have a good deflector use one.

This goes into BBQ pit construction. The gap between the firebox and smoking chamber should be calculated when constructing. This "offset" should provide for the only airflow and deflection needed. Too small of an offset affects airflow; too large an offset would provide too little heat moderation. I had a pit custom built with an adjutable baffle in the offset; however, it remains open and is never used.
There are formulas for determining offset.
DiskoTroop
cclearman said:

Water pans are used as a heat sink if your heat source isn't stable. Doesn't t do anything for moisture of the meat. If anything it can impair making the bark.

This. Precisely.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
You want to be careful when selecting the size of the water pan... I tried a 9x13 once in my Kamado and ended up with steamed pork loin. I have found that using a mason jar is the perfect amount of heat removal/evaporation for that style of pit.
tsuag10
AG
https://www.scienceofcooking.com/why_is_humidity_important_in_cooking.htm

austinag1997
AG
I think water vapor may be a benefit in a reratively closed cooking system (oven, kamado). I fail to see any measurable benefit in an offset smoker where there is constanly a flow of air/smoke from the fire box through the stack.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.