Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Least Favorite Cooking Tasks

6,971 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GeorgiAg
fta09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I admittedly got got this idea from Serious eats, but what is your most hated task while cooking?

I hate trying to pick leaves off sprigs of thyme, but I don't find myself doing that very often. I think my least favorite thing is trying to get the papery skins off of garlic cloves. I know the tricks, like putting them in a jar or two metal bowls and shaking around, but I often find myself only needing to mince a clove or two at a time. I usually end up just smashing them with the broad side of my knife and pull the skins off, but sometimes those dang things hold on for dear life!

So, what's your least favorite task?
Potcake
AG
Stirring a roux for 30+ minutes
Matsui
AG
Thyme picking and garlic peeling.
HTownAg98
Potcake said:

Bake it in the oven.
HTownAg98
Matsui said:

Strip the thyme from the top down. Any green stems that come off can easily be chopped up and you won't notice them.
As for garlic, I've found that cutting off the root first, and then lightly crushing it helps it release easier. Smashing it flat just breaks up all the papery skin and is a pain to pick through.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Throw garlic in microwave for 5 seconds

Skin falls off
mike073
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Throw garlic in microwave for 5 seconds

Skin falls off

Works great!
Gig 'em Aggies!

bobsterxxx
AG
cleaning the kitchen
Sorrell Booke
Doing the dishes after I cook
schmendeler
AG
chopping vegetables.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Kneading dough
HHAG
AG
Appearing to listen intently to my wife while she criticizes whatever I am doing.
MichaelJ
AG
Dishes
Sazerac
AG
Cleaning all the produce and fruit from a grocery order
terradactylexpress
I've gotten to the point where I buy the frozen minced cloves so I can just toss them in. Between peeling and them always sprouting I'm just over it
LawHall88
AG
Matsui said:

Broncos
MichaelJ said:

Dishes

The only correct answer.
rooftop18403
Being in a rush and having to thaw meat in the microwave.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Kneading dough

Used to hate it but love it now. It's almost therapeutic for me.
SJEAg
AG
Peeling and cubing potatoes.
ORAggieFan
Dishes is far and away the worst for me. The other thing I hate is the planning. More the day to day versus big party entertainment. The actual acts of cooking I enjoy, even annoying stuff like the garlic.
Bruce Almighty
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Kneading dough

Used to hate it but love it now. It's almost therapeutic for me.
That's how a feel about doing dishes. I actually enjoy doing it.
HTownAg98
I hate doing dishes too, but I've found that if I clean as I go, there's a lot less to clean up after dinner.
TexAg2001
AG
  • Dishes / Cleanup: I clean as I go so it doesn't seem so overwhelming after the meal. I also strive to use as few pots/pans/utensils as possible. On the other hand, when my my wife cooks, she seems to use every single cooking appurtenance and surface we own, does not clean up along the way, and doesn't allow me to help clean up because I'll be "in the way". I've learned to live with it, but it certainly makes my OCD flare up. LOL
  • Following a recipe: I typically cook by feel and taste. I enjoy looking at what's in my pantry/fridge and coming up with a meal based off what's on hand. Sure, I'll also find a recipe and gather the called for ingredients, but hate referring back to the recipe as I cook.

chipotle
kneading dough
HHAG
AG
Dishes don't bother me in the least. Actually it gives me a feeling of accomplishment to see an empty sink/drying rack.
fta09
AG
I might need to try the microwave trick for garlic. I have pulled thyme sprigs through a mesh strainer before, but like the garlic in a jar/bowls, it dirties something else. Which gets to the other item many of you mention - doing dishes. I didn't want to put that as I was thinking more of actual cooking tasks, but it does indeed suck. When we got married, one of the rules was the person who does not cook does the dishes. I always joke that's why I started cooking.
investorAg83
AG
My wife eats salad with just about every meal and is very particular about her salad leaves. Chopping romaine lettuce to her specifications is my most hated task.

Buy the bagged lettuce or let me cut it like a prep kitchen. Damn.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Dishes and clean up. I even clean as I go and I still finish and look around and am like holy hell what happened. Evening meals are the worst bc I am normally tired and don't want to deal with it until the next day but it sucks then too.
mike073
AG
BTW - The peeled garlic recipe is something like 5 seconds for one or two cloves, 10 seconds for three or four and 15 seconds for five, six or seven. It is best to do more batches if you need more cloves peeled. They slide out like a banana. It also sort of pre-cooks the cloves a bit so if that does not compute in your recipe or you just eat raw garlic, beware. I guess nothing is easy.

Just finished a batch of peanut brittle. I hate stirring the peanuts after being added until the proper color brown is achieved. Hot and tiresome.
Gig 'em Aggies!

MichaelJ
AG
Buying fresh corn and getting all the hairs off the cobb and also out of the sink/off the floor etc
HTownAg98
Hit it with a torch.
RCR06
AG
Potcake said:

Microwave it. Lots of recipes online. No babysitting required.

Matsui
AG
Thank you!!
Don't mind cleaning in general but dread cleaning the pot after making sodium citrate queso.

I have a technique where I clean it with scalding hot water right after the cook, and another where I let it soak in soapy water overnight. But it still sucks doing for such a simple dish that I sometimes just drive thru taco c or something.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.