Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

lowest temp and slowest brisket - sous vide

4,947 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NColoradoAG
fta09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did this a few months ago and it worked great. Finished it on my Weber Kettle and even got a little smoke ring, not that it matters. Wasn't planning on posting here so didn't set up for a fancy picture.

DTP02
AG
A major fail would be if it didn't taste good, which it did. I think that's kind of the purpose of these discussions; that and convenience on a thread like this. The higher end pure liquid smoke is literally just condensated smoke, with a few drops adding some additional smoke to a recipe that may not get enough the traditional way.
bobinator
AG
I did this over the weekend for mother's day with very good results.

155 for 33 hours, then i put it in the fridge overnight and then on the smoker for about 3 hours until it got up to 130.

Like some people have said, this isn't the process if you're going for an A+, but if you're doing other stuff or want to eat at a specific time and are okay with a solid 'B' this is a good process. I'm definitely going to be doing it again.

For size purposes I separated the point and the flat before sous-viding. You can see which is which in the photo.

DiskoTroop
bobinator said:

For size purposes I separated the point and the flat before sous-viding. You can see which is which in the photo.

This is how I will end up having to do it due to the size of my smoker. Good to know it came out good!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
What if you smoked at 225 until the meat got to 145-150 internally (the temperature at which the meat stops taking smoker flavor) and then put in the sous code and the crisped it up when done
'03ag
That is my plan
docaggie
AG
I season and sous vide at 180 for a day to render collagen, then lower to 150 for a day. Pull and smoke for 3 hours at 200.

I find if I try for a one day sous vide cook, then it tends to not get tender.

Only caveat is you have to be really good on your sealing. I've taken to sealing it 3 times at each end, as the higher temp tends to open the seals if there's any strain on them.

Works for me, and we do it once or twice a month. Sometimes I throw in pork shoulder on the second day then smoke it as well for both sliced brisket and pulled pork.
Class of 1998;
Husband of an Aggie, Class of 1999;
Father to future Class of 2029 and 2031
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
07ag
AG
agreed about the sealing. first time i tried it i put the whole brisket in a strained vacuum sealed bag and woke up the next morn to a broken bag. that was a mess

nowadays my technique is to slice the brisket to about 4-5 large but more manageable chunks and that seems to work well. also exposes more surface area to the smoke
https://ts.la/eric59704
Cyprian
AG
I like the idea of this, but it still seems like heresy. Maybe I'll come around one day.
NColoradoAG
I did this method last weekend. I bought a prime brisket from Costco a few weeks ago and when I went to get it ready for a traditional smoke found out it was mangled at the processor. Had a couple gouges in the side and a huge gouge down the middle opposite the fat cap, plus a couple bald spots in the fat cap. It's what you get grabbing the last brisket available in the cooler. So I froze it and figured I'd try this method when I had an extra day on Memorial Day.

Thawed the brisket completely and then seasoned with usual salt and pepper rub, plus a 1/2 teaspoon of prague powder #2. That's all I had so I went light with it to be safe. It was a 14lb brisket trimmed.

I cooked at 155 for 24 hours in my cooler rig with the Annova. I pulled the brisket and let it sit on a wire rack to dry a bit for an hour. I also reapplied a 1/4 cup of rub to replace what was lost to the bag. Then put the brisket on my egg at 250-260 with post oak and pecan. Cooked it for 3 hours on the smoke. I sprayed the brisket every 20 minutes with a mixture of pickle juice and apple juice. I was drinking the entire time and forgot to temp the final brisket. I would imagine it got to about 180-185 during the cook. I let the brisket rest for an hour before slicing.

I gave the final product a 7.5/10. I was pretty blown away by how good it was. I think I could improve it significantly too. First, a little more rub applied before it goes on the smoke. Second, an hour longer on the smoke at a lower temp. I think both of those would improve the bark. You definitely want to keep spraying it to keep the surface moist to improve the bark and smoke ring. Lastly, I think just starting with a better beginning product would make a huge difference.

Next time I can get my hands on two briskets Im going to do them at the same time with one traditional and one sous vide and see how they are side by side.

This method was great because it's so hands off. I use a BBQ guru so already sleep pretty well when I cook brisket. But there was no dealing with putting it on at night or super early in the morning. No leaving a cooker unattended while I played nine holes of golf. No dealing with wrapping. No adding more fuel. No worrying about the exact moment it would be ready.

Sazerac
AG
Wouldn't you want less moisture to help with bark?
NColoradoAG
cclearman said:

Wouldn't you want less moisture to help with bark?
Surface moisture is a large component of creating bark. A lot of the water vapor that would come off the meat during a traditional cook has been lost to the sink when you pull the meat from the bag. You could definitely experiment, but I would bet money you get a way better bark if you spray during the smoking stage.

Plus, keeping the surface moist and the outer layer below 160ish is a big component to creating a smoke ring if that's part of what you want in the finished product. Cheating with some curing salt is probably the easiest way. However, I cooked some chuck roasts sous vide and then on pellet grills at work a couple months back and still got a decent smoke ring with no nitrates. Same spray mixture and interval as I used on my brisket.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.