Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Finally found yeast and flour, so I made some bread

3,579 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SACR
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It works for teaching fractions and science

FIDO*98*
AG
Looks great! Nothing better than homemade bread.

Got a Recipe? I'm planning on making some vegan Bahn Mi later this week. I was toying with the idea of making the bread from scratch
Tanya 93
It is my grandma's recipe, so it is not precise. It is more about feel and touch and knowing when there is enough flour.

I start with measuring 4 cups of flour. That is what she said.

Then take one packet of yeast and mix it with a cup of water, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, and 1 and 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of salt.

Then mix in 2 cups of flour. Mix until blended. And then add flour by 1/4 cups until it is kinda stiff

knead until it is a smooth dough. It took like 10 minutes

Put it in a greased bowl and let it rise for two hours. I put it on the stove at 200.

Then punch it down and let it proof another half hour off the stove

Then put on a baking sheet in at preheated 375, for 25-30 minutes. I slash the top and do a water and egg white wash, but you don't have to do that.

Then serve with awesome butter
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
The Farm Patch across from Chicken Oil is stocked with flour. They have been since this whole thing started. I go there once a week to get my flour.
FIDO*98*
AG
I'm really pleased with how these turned out. I was wanting more rustic than Sub rolls, but, not looking for baguettes. This recipe fit the bill perfectly.

amanda04
AG
Tanya,

When say "Put it in a greased bowl and let it rise for two hours. I put it on the stove at 200." Are you putting in the oven at 200 degrees? I've never proofed bread at a temp that high, so I'm intrigued!

When do you shape, just before putting it in the oven, or is that before you let proof the second time?

Looking forward to trying this!
FIDO*98*
AG
My interpretation was to put the oven on 200 and then put the bowl on top of the stove so where the ambient air would be warmed a bit by the oven.
amanda04
AG
That makes sense Fido. My oven and cooktop are not one piece, so I might try it in the oven with the light on.

Did you shape then second proof, or proof then shape and bake?
FIDO*98*
AG
Proof 2 hrs, punch down and divide into 4, rest 10 mins, shape, proof another hour, then bake

I should have divided by 5-6 for sandwiches
dahouse
AG
I need help.

Scored some yeast from a neighbor and I have failed three (3) times in attempting bread.

The first failure was caused by me. I have instant yeast and I tried a recipe with active yeast instructions (yeast was in a small tupperware, no label). No rise.

Next try. Half recipe so I don't waste too many ingredients.

3 cups flour
1-1/8 tsp Instant Yeast
1Tbsp sugar
1Tbsp Salt
4.5 tsp oil
1 cup warm water

Combined dry ingredients and split in half. Liquid in stand mixer bowl. Added first half of flour and mixed on speed 2. Once combined, slowly added remaining dry ingredients. Once it came together, kneaded 6 mins. Placed in greased bowl. Never rose.

Tried again, made sure water was 105 degrees. This time, dry in the bowl, added wet, proceed the same. Placed covered bowl on porch where its warm. Never Rose.

So, today I am trying a new recipe, random found online.

2.5 cups flour
1TBSP yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2tsp salt
1/8 cup oil

Combined dry then held out a cup, added wet. Mixed. Added remaining dry and mixed until it came together. Removed for kneading. Felt better, more sticky, had to flour the board a few times.

It's in a greased bowl with a towel covering it.

I need help...

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
FIDO*98*
AG
Today's project: Burger Buns.

Missed my count again and should have divided dough by 6. These measure right at 4" wide so if you like that size 8 is perfect. Looks like I'll be going with Steakhouse burgers instead of smash.

BurnetAggie99
Can make bread with baking soda and lemon juice if having a hard time getting yeast.
Tanya 93
amanda04 said:

Tanya,

When say "Put it in a greased bowl and let it rise for two hours. I put it on the stove at 200." Are you putting in the oven at 200 degrees? I've never proofed bread at a temp that high, so I'm intrigued!

When do you shape, just before putting it in the oven, or is that before you let proof the second time?

Looking forward to trying this!
I meant I turned the oven on and set the bowl on the stovetop.

I shape it after the first proofing on a baking sheet
Tanya 93
FIDO*98* said:

I'm really pleased with how these turned out. I was wanting more rustic than Sub rolls, but, not looking for baguettes. This recipe fit the bill perfectly.

THEY LOOK AWESOME!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My latest

End Of Message
AG
Yeast can be killed with too hot of water or air...I prefer ambient temps around 78-80 when rising and proofing
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I temp everything the whole way through, water never higher than 95 and usually lower. I like my dough at 78-80 for proofing
End Of Message
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I temp everything the whole way through, water never higher than 95 and usually lower. I like my dough at 78-80 for proofing

Do you try to keep at 78-80 until proofing or through proofing? Or does it make a difference?

I've always shot to hit 78 at rise (and hopefully at proof) but stopped measuring thereafter.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
aggiebq03+
I'd tried in the past to make bread but always turned out rough. Got the Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast book and did it in the Dutch oven as suggested and it turned out amazing. Now might need to branch out and try some of these other options.

Impressive work by several of you gals and guys to be able to do that at home and have it turn out looking so good in my opinion.
jtp01
AG
When this all began, my wife made some sourdough starter and we have been using that for most everything. From baguettes to rustic loaf, to Dutch oven bread to sourdough biscuits this morning. It's been really good for my 2 sons to learn real math and we get fresh bread about every other day of some kind!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Today's batch 70/20/10 white/wheat/rye my best yet

Tanya 93
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Today's batch 70/20/10 white/wheat/rye my best yet

Awesome
SACR
AG
Just eyeballing that first recipe, that is a ton of salt. I suspect you killed the yeast, hence no rise.

Did you try proofing your yeast to make sure it is alive?
dahouse
AG
I proofed it after the the third attempt. No bubbles or anything. It was instant yeast. Another poster sent me some and it worked great, different recipe though.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
SACR
AG
dahouse said:

I proofed it after the the third attempt. No bubbles or anything. It was instant yeast. Another poster sent me some and it worked great, different recipe though.
Then it was dead. There was your problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.