Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best Store Bought Salsa

18,763 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BurrOak
ValleyRatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's right.
HTownAg98
For some nostalgia, does anyone remember the Van de Walle salsa that you used to get at HEB? It was really good before they sold the label to someone else.
PooDoo
AG
El Paco chips and salsa is the best. Best store bought corn chip I've ever had. A few Krogers carry them.
ValleyRatAg
AG
We used to get Fajita tacos at the Van de Walle Farms tent when we'd come up to the SA Stockshow to show pigs. We would take home enough Van de Walle Salsa to last a few months. This was late 80's early 90's. My Dad loved the stuff.

Took my kids a few years ago. Now it's the H-E-B Van de Walle tent and it's not nearly as magical as I remember.
SchnauzerMom
I picked up some El Tucan this weekend! It's great, reminds me of the taco truck that comes to my office. Thanks!
country
AG
Glad you liked it!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Honestly, as one that eats it too, me too. I don't understand it, and I think a lot is nostalgia. I cognitively know it's not good, but I add some garlic and onion powder, and I enjoy it despite knowing it's bad.
Pace is to salsa as Totinos is to pizza. The appeal is embarrassing, but I can't help it.
HtownAg92
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Bulldog73 said:

Honestly, as one that eats it too, me too. I don't understand it, and I think a lot is nostalgia. I cognitively know it's not good, but I add some garlic and onion powder, and I enjoy it despite knowing it's bad.
Pace is to salsa as Totinos is to pizza. The appeal is embarrassing, but I can't help it.
My wife likes Pace. It is useful when I need to add some flavor to beans, or even as a Rotel substitute in queso.

It does do the trick by itself when purchased because it is the only salsa the little bait shop / convenience store near the lake has on the shelf and you forgot to pack some.
moo
AG
Thank you for introducing me to El Gallo. This has taken my homemade breakfast tacos to the next level!
Bruce Almighty
AG
I bought all four of the El Gallo and have been eating breakfast tacos all week. The habanero is my favorite and addictive as hell.
gigemags87
AG
El Fenix is my go to for eggs and general use.

moo
AG
Habanero has become my favorite as well. Since I'm not near an HEB for distribution, I'm planning on ordering more in bulk.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I bought Kylito's salsa based on this thread and was completely underwhelmed.

Everyone should try Julios first and then recommend based off of that.

And Marks sucks as well.
halibut sinclair
BurrOak
AG
big-ag said:

Hard to beat Mateo's hatch green chile.
I bought a jar of this last weekend. Very good stuff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.