Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sean Brock's Fried Chicken

4,153 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SACR
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw this guy on the Netflix Documentaries 'Ugly Delicious' and 'Chef's Table.' I decided to give his Fried Chicken recipe a try. I love fried chicken, and I wish it wasn't so easily accessible. This is pretty labor intensive. It brines 4 12 hours, soaked in buttermilk and spices for an hour, and sits in flour for another 12 hours. Then it's fried in 5 different fats (veggie oil, bacon fat, ham fat, chicken fat, and butter). I tried making fried chicken one other time in my life and it was NOT good. It definitely takes practice. I learned a lot this time around, but it's a good recipe, and I recommend it to anyone.

https://instagr.am/p/B7hABXchrKz
SACR
AG
msechelski said:

I saw this guy on the Netflix Documentaries 'Ugly Delicious' and 'Chef's Table.' I decided to give his Fried Chicken recipe a try. I love fried chicken, and I wish it wasn't so easily accessible. This is pretty labor intensive. It brines 4 12 hours, soaked in buttermilk and spices for an hour, and sits in flour for another 12 hours. Then it's fried in 5 different fats (veggie oil, bacon fat, ham fat, chicken fat, and butter). I tried making fried chicken one other time in my life and it was NOT good. It definitely takes practice. I learned a lot this time around, but it's a good recipe, and I recommend it to anyone.

Stellar video, but making the mashed potatoes seemed out of place.

Did you throw the bacon into the potatoes after?
MichaelJ
AG
msechelski said:

Where did you find all those fats?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
No, but I should have.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Got the vegetable oil and butter at the grocery store. I usually save the bacon fat from my breakfast in a mason jar (bacon fat is really good for making tortillas). As for the chicken fat and ham fat, you can usually ask for trimmings at a butcher shop. Take it home and render the fat out.
HTownAg98
Seems like a lot of trouble for a marginal increase in the result. Of course, if you're a restaurant, you've likely got good access to these fats since they're likely trim byproducts.
SACR
AG
msechelski said:

Got the vegetable oil and butter at the grocery store. I usually save the bacon fat from my breakfast in a mason jar (bacon fat is really good for making tortillas). As for the chicken fat and ham fat, you can usually ask for trimmings at a butcher shop. Take it home and render the fat out.
Making your own lard to make tortillas, interesting.

Have you tried making tortillas with using butter as the fat? Better or worse than using lard?

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've used butter. It feel like it gives the tortillas a slightly sweeter taste, in a good way. I think the lard gives it a different texture that I prefer.
SACR
AG
msechelski said:

I've used butter. It feel like it gives the tortillas a slightly sweeter taste, in a good way. I think the lard gives it a different texture that I prefer.
Have you made both corn and flour tortillas?
Bruce Almighty
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Seems like a lot of trouble for a marginal increase in the result. Of course, if you're a restaurant, you've likely got good access to these fats since they're likely trim byproducts.

Agree. I would never do this in my own kitchen.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm always looking to try something different. It is definitely more effort, but I'm always curious to know if it is worth the extra effort. From this time around, I'd say the 5 different oils was not necessary (maybe playing with the ratios would change that).

The 12-hour brine was worth it, and letting it sit in the flour for 12 hours was also worth it. By that point, the flour had become part of the chicken, so if you like it extra crispy, it's the way to go.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yes, and a hybrid of both.
Duncan Idaho
All that hassle and then you use preground pepper? And iodinized salt in the other video
MoreCushing4thePushing
SACR
AG
I think you need to wear that t-shirt in all of your videos and make it your trademark.

He is a 'classically trained' chef.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.