Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Good Food options in Houston Galleria area?

4,288 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpiderDude
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I grew up in Houston but haven't been back in a while. Will be there 3 days on business next month staying in the galleria area. Looking for recommendations for eating in that area without having to drive super far. Open for whatever really. Doesn't have to be too pricey. Will probably stop at Tejas Chocolate in Tomball for BBQ on the way in.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
I love Gloria's Latin Cuisine. It's in midtown, about 6 miles from the galleria. I also like Marini's Empanada House if you're looking for something a little more casual.
DiskoTroop
Oh lord, you mean the area with perhaps the highest concentration of restaurants in the Greater Houston Area?

I'll start...

Kenny and Ziggy's Deli
htxag09
AG
I personally prefer Truth to Tejas, but can't really go wrong with either.

As for restaurants around the Galleria, as said, there are a lot. We like Rise, Fig & Olive, Pappas Steakhouse, Christies for fried shrimp....

Any particular type of food in mind?
Cassius
EKKO's is pretty good if you like falafal or gyros. It's a hole in the wall that is part of a Shell gas station.
SpiderDude
AG
Honestly, no nothing particular. May grab a steak. Been a while since I bought one I didn't cook myself!
Austintm
Killen's STQ is a 10 minute drive from the Galleria
FarmerJohn
AG
And next to Roegel's. It's the meat sweats district.
Old RV Ag
AG
25 years ago, I say go to the Ale House on W Alabama St. But, sadly it's gone now.
jwoodmd
Old RV Ag said:

25 years ago, I say go to the Ale House on W Alabama St. But, sadly it's gone now.
Blast from the past. Forgot all about this place. We use to go there all the time.
ChipFTAC01
AG
One of the best meals I've had recently was at Le Colonial just across 610 on Westheimer. French-Vietnamese.
Diggity
AG
Pappas Bros. Get the bar strip or fillet
RK
AG
Mastro's for a ribeye and prostie.
RK
AG
Or, if you're not into that, Moxie's for a cocktail and a prostie.
aTm2004
AG
SpiderDude said:

Honestly, no nothing particular. May grab a steak. Been a while since I bought one I didn't cook myself!
If you're going to do this, go to Pappa Bros off of Westheimer just past the Galleria or Del Frisco's in the Galleria. Can't go wrong with either. Vic & Anthony's is my favorite and is in downtown if you want to drive there.

Ouisie's Table is just in the loop off of San Felipe and one of my wife and I's favorites.

There's an El Tiempo off of Richmond in the Montrose area.

Avalon Diner off of Westheimer ITL if you're wanting an old school diner breakfast.

Barnaby's is a local chain (if you want to call it that) that I really like. Everything from burgers to omlets to hot dogs. A few locations in the Galleria/Upper Kirby/Midtown area.

All of the above is a 5-10 minute drive from the Galleria, but I'd probably Uber to most so I wouldn't have to deal with parking.
Matsui
AG
Love barnaby's
JCA1
AG
Can't go wrong with stone crab at Truluck's.
Cyp0111
Nobu
waryman
AG
If you want more BBQ, Brisket House at Augusta and Woodway. Vibe of old Tom's BBQ in CS. They have an Aggie Special lookalike. Very good BBQ.
Old Saigon Cafe on Westheimer just East of Voss. Get the Old Saigon Bun bowl. Lots of meat.
Masraff's is always consistent and excellent. Father or son will stop by your table.
Original Carabbas at Voss/Woodway or Kirby. The real deal. Not like the chain version.
cc10106
Roostar Vietnamese Grill on Richmond is great for banh mi and wings. Also, Los Tios on Westheimer for Tex-Mex. Roegels or Feges for BBQ.

You might as well go to Tejas Burger Joint as well while in Tomball.
jh0400
AG
I'd try to get a seat at the bar at MAD.
Fall92
AG
Club. No minors.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
rononeill
I wouldn't come to Houston and pick Glorias, but Glorias is surprisingly excellent. Great and cheap margaritas and really well flavored Latin style steak.
mazag08
AG
North Italia.
schmellba99
AG
For a blue collar meal, Pete's Fine Meats makes a hell of a burger and has some other things on the menu as well.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Chama Gaucha
Kasra
Ragin Cajun
Take your pick of Indian food off Hillcroft

Club Luby's if want to go to the fanciest Luby's.
MM12thMan
AG
Referring back to Brisket House ....
It is not just sort of like Tom's the manager actually managed Tom's for 7 years. It is Tom's reincarnated and with silverware.....
SpiderDude
AG
Diggity said:

Did this last night. Had the off menu featured fillet with roasted Foie Gras and mushroom. Also sampled several good pours off the whiskey menu...WLW, TH Saz, Old Fitz BiB 13, Pappy 12.
SpiderDude
AG
Tried El Tiempo as suggested. A bit pricey honestly but it was fine. Brought back memories as I grew up eating Ninfas.
Aggie09Derek
AG
SpiderDude said:

Diggity said:

Did this last night. Had the off menu featured fillet with roasted Foie Gras and mushroom. Also sampled several good pours off the whiskey menu...WLW, TH Saz, Old Fitz BiB 13, Pappy 12.
What did all that run your company?
Diggity
AG
Same family as old school Ninfas...but definitely pricier.

I'm in the Woodlands now and they just opened an El Tiempo that has intown pricing but they actually weigh the damn meat. We split 1/2 a pound and were barely able to make two tacos.

I told the waiter it was a bit light, which is when he told me they were very strict about weighing the meat at that one. I don't know how that's going to go over. Strip mall suburban tex mex with $60/lb fajitas.
SpiderDude
AG
Diggity said:

I'm in the Woodlands now and they just opened an El Tiempo that has intown pricing but they actually weigh the damn meat. We split 1/2 a pound and were barely able to make two tacos.

I told the waiter it was a bit light, which is when he told me they were very strict about weighing the meat at that one. I don't know how that's going to go over. Strip mall suburban tex mex with $60/lb fajitas.

Hard pass.
DiskoTroop
SpiderDude said:

Diggity said:

Hard pass.

A half pound is a small portion. If you tried to split an 8oz steak, would you consider that a lot of food?
austinag1997
AG
SpiderDude said:

Tried El Tiempo as suggested. A bit pricey honestly but it was fine. Brought back memories as I grew up eating Ninfas.

I like El Tiempo.
austinag1997
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

SpiderDude said:

Diggity said:

What did all that run your company?

Still waiting...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.