Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Moose Meat Recipes

1,375 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Buck Compton
spongeboob_squaresharts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The title says it all. A family friend bagged an enormous moose this past season and shared some of the meat with me.

Any good recs on how to best cook it or even some go-to recipes?

T&G's.
aggiespartan
AG
I again recommend the book Buck Buck Moose. The guy also has a website with some good recipes too. We use it often for venison recipes. The guy knows what he's talking about.
ToddyHill
AG
I was a kid at the time (many, many, many years ago), when a neighbor came back with a moose from a hunt in Saskatchewan. Mom grilled up a couple of steaks...and in spite of my apprehension, it was great. Far better than venison in my very humble opinion. Good luck!!!!
FIDO*98*
AG
ToddyHill said:

Far better than venison Whitetail in my very humble opinion. Good luck!!!!

Moose is Venison. Meat from any species of deer is considered Venison. It ranges from ass (Texas Whitetail, Mule) to Outstanding (Red, Elk, Axis). It's been a while since I had moose, but, I'd say it's above average Venison for sure.
SACR
AG
ToddyHill said:

I was a kid at the time (many, many, many years ago), when a neighbor came back with a moose from a hunt in Saskatchewan. Mom grilled up a couple of steaks...and in spite of my apprehension, it was great. Far better than venison in my very humble opinion. Good luck!!!!
Had moose and bison meat in Montana years ago, it was all excellent.
SACR
AG

YouTube ideas
Buck Compton
AG
Wrong yet again. Whitetail is behind Axis, etc. for sure, but you're not half the cook you think you are if you can't make Texas Whitetail taste good. It's far from "ass"... And no, I don't mean cook it with bacon. THAT, or you're trolling as usual.

And as an aside, fresh grilled elk heart was one of the weirdest, best meals of my life.

For the OP, Only time I had moose was delicious, but we'd also been drinking a lot. I only remember it being good. Sorry I can't help with recipes or preparation.
wheelz
AG
bryan.walker94 said:

The title says it all. A family friend bagged an enormous moose this past season and shared some of the meat with me.

Are there moose that aren't enormous?
Unemployed
AG
wheelz said:

bryan.walker94 said:

Yes...Asian moose knuckle.
aggiespartan
AG
wheelz said:

bryan.walker94 said:

Enormoose?
Max Power
AG
Moose meat sandwich
Moose meat pizza
Moose meat nachos
SACR
AG
Max Power said:

Moose meat sandwich
Moose meat pizza
Moose meat nachos

Moose meat pepperoni, and then pepperoni pizza!!!

SACR
AG

Cut into strips, tenderize, then fry.

Moose fingers.

Enjoy the knuckle jokes.
FIDO*98*
AG
Buck Compton said:

Wrong yet again. Whitetail is behind Axis, etc. for sure, but you're not half the cook you think you are if you can't make Texas Whitetail taste good. It's far from "ass"... And no, I don't mean cook it with bacon. THAT, or you're trolling as usual.

We've got a simultaneous thread over on the OB about Ducks. Ah, the ole guess you can't cook if you can't make a leather boot taste good retort.

I'll just be honest here. I wish my baseline hadn't been set at Elk from Colorado and Whitetail from Iowa and upstate NY growing up. It would really make life easier if I could just pretend acorn fed Texas Whitetail didn't taste like ass. I envy you thinking it's just a matter of skill
Buck Compton
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Buck Compton said:

We've got a simultaneous thread over on the OB about Ducks. Ah, the ole guess you can't cook if you can't make a leather boot taste good retort.

I'll just be honest here. I wish my baseline hadn't been set at Elk from Colorado and Whitetail from Iowa and upstate NY growing up. It would really make life easier if I could just pretend acorn fed Texas Whitetail didn't taste like ass. I envy you thinking it's just a matter of skill
Wait, you don't like Duck either?!?!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.