Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Tell me about the new (maybe just to me) Bone Broths

2,437 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bonfirewillburn
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Living is a small town, Rockport, our HEB just started stocking the BONE broths in Beef and Chicken. Are there advantages to using them in cooking over the more common Broth or Stock?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
HTownAg98
Depends on how they are made. They're just chicken or beef stocks that have an alleged higher concentration of meat and bones in them. You can make a gallon at home for the same price as a pint.
PooDoo
AG
Matsui
AG
Be careful. Mostly just better marketing than chicken broth.
Old RV Ag
AG
Matsui said:

Exactly. When I make stock, I always use all the bones.
Max Power
AG
If you're looking to make some this would be a good place to start.

SpiderDude
AG
Old RV Ag said:

Matsui said:

Exactly. When I make stock, I always use all the bones.

Isn't that literally how you make stock... with bone?!
Vernada
AG
What I think I've learned from reading on this topic.

A lot of things marketed as 'bone' broth aren't really all that different from regular stock.

"Real" bone broth will be refrigerated, and when cool/cold will be gelatinous like jello because of how much collagen is in it.

Yes stock and bone broth are made using bones - but I think the difference is that true bone broth cooks for a whole lot longer removing more of the collagen from the bones.

I've summarize my interneting for you. And I have had bone broth that had to be refrigerated and was almost solid... it has a lot 'richer' flavor than any stock I've had.

Does that mean it's better? Healthier? I have no clue.
RK
AG
if that is the criteria, then that's what i typically make. i will typically throw whole wings in along w/ the other carcass items and let it roll for a long time. i think the wings have significant collagen so i guess that's driving the results. turns to jello in the fridge has has a deep brown color. made some gumbo recently with it and it was very good.
Tumble Weed
If you start making your own you will not want to buy stock or broth from a store.

We now keep beef, chicken, and veal stock in the freezer and it is the flavor base for many great dishes. I have recommended this chef before, but this guy has the best recipes that I have run across. The Great Canadian Chef From France

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Making seafood stock is a game changer for your seafood dishes
jwoodmd
Vernada said:

What I think I've learned from reading on this topic.

A lot of things marketed as 'bone' broth aren't really all that different from regular stock.

"Real" bone broth will be refrigerated, and when cool/cold will be gelatinous like jello because of how much collagen is in it.

Yes stock and bone broth are made using bones - but I think the difference is that true bone broth cooks for a whole lot longer removing more of the collagen from the bones.

I've summarize my interneting for you. And I have had bone broth that had to be refrigerated and was almost solid... it has a lot 'richer' flavor than any stock I've had.

Does that mean it's better? Healthier? I have no clue.
Interesting take on that. I, like many on here, use the bones and pieces to make what I always called stock. However, I refrigerate it and let the fat accumulate and harden on the top so I can remove it. Then I freeze the remainer which is always a gel consistency. But, I also boil down my "stock" to high concentration levels so it saves space.
Vernada
AG
I think the consistency thing is more to differentiate store-bought products - pretty sure you'll never buy something called 'stock' or 'broth' at the store that will get that gelatinous consistency.
BusterAg
AG
1) Buy instapot
2) Never buy meat without bones again
3) Fill your freezer with the type of gel broth discussed above
4) Profit

This was the biggest single improvement to my culinary game, and an easy change to make. Instapot can keep things warm all day long if you put it in the pot in the morning, so it is really easy to keep the freezer full.

Wingtips of chickens are full, full of collagen. Ribeye bones are great too.
HTownAg98
Pressure cookers are great for making stock. Two hours in a standard pressure cooker (one that actually gets to 15 psi) and 2.5 hours in an InstantPot will get you a good stock.
SACR
AG
I think the gelatinous consistency is because the collagen has come out of the bones into your broth. This is also why animal bones are used to create the gelatin in Jello.
bonfirewillburn
AG
bonfirewillburn
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.