Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Slicing brisket

2,662 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HtownAg92
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there regional variations for slicing brisket in Texas?

I went to a fairly new barbecue (i.e. it was opened within the last year) yesterday and ordered sliced brisket. They cut it in large chunks.

The flavor was okay, but I couldn't get it to slice against the grain with their plastic eating utensils and ended up having to just tear it apart to eat it. I ended up with fibers of brisket caught in my teeth in several places. I just now, about 18 hours later, managed to dislodge the final tangle of fibers! It wasn't at all tender enough to get by with chunks instead of slices. I'll probably go there again some time, but not for brisket.

I've also seen this with the biennial 4th of July celebration in the city park. The barbecue is in large chunks instead of slices. They basically just rip it up into chunks. I always just bring it back to the office where I can slice it up with a sharp knife before eating it.

I've seen other places serve it in chunks as well in the Panhandle.

There was one barbecue place in the county for many years that would always serve brisket chopped if you didn't ask for sliced. But when you ordered it sliced, they did slice it properly. I often wondered if they did it chopped so that you couldn't see how much fat was in the meat -- they apparently bought brisket with a whole lot of fat on it and wouldn't trim it at all. I can see brisket chopped for a sandwich, but eating it on a plate with a fork is really sloppy.

I quit eating barbecue there several years ago after getting sliced barbecue twice in a row that was more fat than meat.

I don't remember it ever served this way in Central Texas and along the Gulf Coast. Is this really a regional variation in slicing brisket or is my memory faulty?
chipotle
savages
schmendeler
AG
Bird Poo
AG
If you can't cut against the grain, then they didn't smoke it long enough. They likely just threw the brisket on a pit for a standard amount of time without checking internal temp.
The Milkman
AG
schmendeler said:

What is this garbage
Duncan Idaho
Beat me to it
Duncan Idaho
The Milkman said:

schmendeler said:

What is this garbage

The natural result when you cook a brisket fat cap down
752bro4
AG
100% chance Italian Dressing is apart of his overnight marinade.
MW03
AG
schmendeler said:

Mathguy64
AG
In the early 80s I worked a pit and cut BBQ for a Houston based chain called Gabby's and then later at Luthers. That is exactly how we were taught to trim the fat and separate that flat from the point (we called them the lean and lifter). Back then no one wanted moist or fatty brisket. Everything was sliced off the flat and the point was almost exclusively kept for chopped beef sammys. Different times.
HtownAg92
AG
schmendeler said:

HtownAg92
AG
That reminds me, does anyone still have that video that may have been the biggest brisket travesty in the history of all time? It was the one where the guys "double dunked" the brisket, mis-identified burnt ends, and did all sorts of blasphemy on the meat. It was almost like a troll but real. I know I saw it on here, but can't find it.
Duncan Idaho
Wait there is a video that is worse than This one?
Guessing that guy was trained to cut pastrami for sandwiches. I'm not sure why he is cutting a Texas style smoked brisket (I'm being generous) that way.
bmc13
AG
and on newspaper
bmc13 said:

and on newspaper
ha I did not even notice that

i also have not listened with sound. I assume there are other nuggets.
HtownAg92
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Wait there is a video that is worse than This one?
Yes, worse. And I seem to recall another one that was basically the guy trimming all sorts of good parts off and pushing them into the trash. Like almost the whole point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.