Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What was your first cookbook?

1,942 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmellba99
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spin off of this thread, what was your first cookbook, and do you still have it?

Do you remember the first recipe you made out of it?

My first ever recipe book was Steve Raichlen's How To Grill, and the first recipe I made from it was pork babyback ribs.

I still have the book in a cupboard above the stove.
Vernada
AG
The first cookbook that I remember is Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

Don't recall the first recipe I cooked from it... We're talking over 20 years ago.

Yes, I still have it and count it as the best cookbook I have.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Some pork chop recipe from a cookbook by Emeril Lagasse. This was around the time Food Network started becoming popular and I just graduated college a year or two ago.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Homesick Texan
TxSquarebody
My first cookbook was given to me out of my mother's collection. It was compiled by the First Baptist Church in Lampasas in 1988....still have it. Some great recipes in there!
Vernada
AG
TxSquarebody said:

My first cookbook was given to me out of my mother's collection. It was compiled by the First Baptist Church in Lampasas in 1988....still have it. Some great recipes in there!
I have one or two of these cookbooks and I love them. They have all the 'old' salads, casseroles, etc that I remember from church pot lucks.
Tanya 93
I got this for Christmas when I was 7 or 8

jtp01
AG
I have a family cookbook that was given to me when I went to college. My mom, grandmother and all aunts cousins, uncles all submitted recipes for the book to my mom and she and my dad put it together.

Still use it to this day. Mom passed away in October and her cookbook was still on the counter along with Tons of her hand written notes and some added recipes. One of these days when one of us can we will recreate hers with the notes for her grandchildren. I figure it will mean more to them to have their nanny's handwritten notes than a typed version of her changes/additions.
SACR
AG
jtp01 said:

I have a family cookbook that was given to me when I went to college. My mom, grandmother and all aunts cousins, uncles all submitted recipes for the book to my mom and she and my dad put it together.
A friend did that when her son married, she asked for recipes from all family members and extended family/friends. She included pictures of him growing up and then with the bride and groom, matching the people to the recipe, and had it professionally bound by a vanity press, so it looked like any other published book. It was honestly fantastic work, and serves as a cookbook and a scrapbook of memories.

It is one of the most thoughtful wedding presents I've ever seen.

Quote:

Mom passed away in October and her cookbook was still on the counter along with Tons of her hand written notes and some added recipes. One of these days when one of us can we will recreate hers with the notes for her grandchildren. I figure it will mean more to them to have their nanny's handwritten notes than a typed version of her changes/additions.
Scan all of her notes along with the recipes. Add in pictures of your kids with their grandmother. Compile all of it in Illustrator/Photopshop/some pushing program, then publish it as a bound book. Give it to your kids at HS graduation or some other significant milestone.
jtp01
AG
That is the exact plan. Mom loved to cook she is the primary reason for my love of cooking. I am convinced the good Lord was ready for momma's dressing for thanksgiving dinner and called her home. The whole idea of scanning her notes was apparent when we were trying to clean the kitchen through the tears. We knew exactly what we needed to do, just needed some time.
Duncan Idaho
How to serve man
gif
?v=1492029143

Got this from my Mimi when I was around 8. I had always loved cooking with her, so she pulled this cookbook out so we could make a pie together. She got about 2 lines into following the recipe and closed the book and just started doing her own recipe from memory.

When we were done she handed me the cookbook and told me it would be in better hands with me.
nai06
AG
Bell's Best Cookbook by Mississippi Telephone Pioneers of America
CactusThomas
AG

Marlboro cookbook
HtownAg92
AG
Vernada said:

TxSquarebody said:

I have one or two of these cookbooks and I love them. They have all the 'old' salads, casseroles, etc that I remember from church pot lucks.
I have several of those "pot luck fare" cookbooks. I think my first was from the Bell County Mothers' Club (my grandmother was in it since the late '60's) that was in my first finals care package. Lot's of cream soups and Velveeta used.
Vernada
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Vernada said:

TxSquarebody said:

I have several of those "pot luck fare" cookbooks. I think my first was from the Bell County Mothers' Club (my grandmother was in it since the late '60's) that was in my first finals care package. Lot's of cream soups and Velveeta used.
and don't forget the oleo. Always oleo.
HTownAg98
One of the first I got was a Houston Junior League cookbook. It's actually pretty good, and has my go-to gumbo recipe. They used butter instead of oleo in that cookbook because those ladies are rich.
Old RV Ag
AG
Vernada said:

HtownAg92 said:

Vernada said:

TxSquarebody said:

and don't forget the oleo. Always oleo.
Wow! I haven't heard oleo for decades but that's what everyone called it 40-50 years ago.
Vernada
AG
And these old church lady recipes always call for oleo.
An Ag in CO
AG
lb sand
AG
I came here to post exactly that.

Pre-scandal of course, lol.
LawHall88
AG
Still have it, but haven't used it in years.

SACR
AG
Texicurean said:

I came here to post exactly that.

Pre-scandal of course, lol.

Just read about the scandal on wiki. I wonder if it would have been settled so quietly in today's environment.
schmellba99
AG
I think it is an old Southern Living cookbook - mom had it for years, handed it off to me when I went to school. Still on my counter, still gets used today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.