Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

getting started in canning

1,417 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SACR
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The 1955 recipe book I received for Christmas has a chapter on preserving vegetables.

I figure I'll start with a simple recipe for pickling peppers that doesn't require any water bath or pressure canning, and eventually move on to preserving tomatoes/sauces, which is my ultimate goal.

Other than making sure my jars/tops are sanitized and sterile, anything else I need to be aware of as I start?

I've watched a few videos online of people canning tomato sauce. Some say they don't require a water bath to seal because the heat from the sauce creates the seal. Anyone have experience in this area?
HTownAg98
With regard to the videos about not using a water bath for tomato sauce, it's baloney and not safe. In fact, most modern recipes will say you need to pressure can tomato products because tomatoes generally don't have enough acid in them. However, you can use a water bath for tomato products as long as you add acid and boil it for the right amount of time.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html This is what I use for home canning, nothing that I've made has failed so far.
Tanya 93
SACR said:

The 1955 recipe book I received for Christmas has a chapter on preserving vegetables.

I figure I'll start with a simple recipe for pickling peppers that doesn't require any water bath or pressure canning, and eventually move on to preserving tomatoes/sauces, which is my ultimate goal.

Other than making sure my jars/tops are sanitized and sterile, anything else I need to be aware of as I start?

I've watched a few videos online of people canning tomato sauce. Some say they don't require a water bath to seal because the heat from the sauce creates the seal. Anyone have experience in this area?

You must at a minimum water bath can them and use lemon juice
SACR
AG

Today was the big day.

Pleasantly surprised at the intensity of the heat of the peppers, a nice spiciness. The garlic definitely kicked it up a notch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.