Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smugglers Cove - tiki and rum

1,426 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dragmagpuff
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome book I got for Christmas and have been flipping through.

Has a lot of recipes and talk about techniques for making and serving drinks along with history about the tiki bar culture and decor and all that.

Really like the way they list what rums to use in each drink. He uses a system of 8 styles of rum and just list which style (s) that drink uses. There's a chapter that goes into which rums each style is and has a list of suggested rums.

Definitely worth having if you're into rum drinks or general Americana history and booze

https://www.amazon.com/Smugglers-Cove-Exotic-Cocktails-Cult/dp/1607747324/ref=nodl_
steve00
AG
The book is great, but it is nothing compared to going to the bar. It is the best tiki bar in the country.
SpiderDude
AG
Yes, it's one I need to get! I've heard nothing but good things. I still need to work on making some stuff from my The Aviary book. That book will show you what's possible at the highest level of cocktail creation.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely on my list if I make it out to San Fran.

There's a list of well renowned tiki bars in the resources at the back of the book.

So far I've been to one of the two in Nola and one of the two in Vegas.

Beachbum Berrys in NOLA and Golden Tiki in Vegas are worth the stop. Especially for happy hour. Beachbum also ages Wray and Nephew overproof in house, makes a killer daiquiri
AlaskanAg99
AG
If in Houston hit up Lei Low for tiki drinks.

We've been making cocktails from the Sumgglers Cove book for awhile now. Thankfully rum isn't that expensive so it's easy to swap out different rums as you experiment with what makes cocktails to your liking as your tastes develop.

I do recommend getting pearled ice, you can buy this by the bag at Sonic. The type of ice really can make a difference.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah between what I had and what I picked up in Texas at total wine (Doorlys) I think I had stuff that fit five of the 8 categories already. Not really a Rhum fan though so no rush to fill some of those.

Thinking an ice crusher is on the short list for drink upgrades

ETA going to a wedding in Houston end of the month, Lei Low is definitely on my radar
dragmagpuff
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

If in Houston hit up Lei Low for tiki drinks.

We've been making cocktails from the Sumgglers Cove book for awhile now. Thankfully rum isn't that expensive so it's easy to swap out different rums as you experiment with what makes cocktails to your liking as your tastes develop.

I do recommend getting pearled ice, you can buy this by the bag at Sonic. The type of ice really can make a difference.
Lei Low is awesome. I particularly like their take on the Manhattan with a blow-torched banana slice (caramalized sugar crust) as garnish.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.