Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

OK, I am late to the party, Insta Pot your favorite recipies?

6,559 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Vernada
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, late to the game, just got the 6 qt Insta Pot from Amazon, favorite recipies?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
HTownAg98
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

If you have some favorite pressure cooker recipes, you can easily adapt them by just adding 10% to the cook time. Also, be very leery of any recipe that calls for cooking pasta in an Instant Pot. Pasta typically does not do well in a pressure cooker.
Tanya 93
HTownAg98 said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

If you have some favorite pressure cooker recipes, you can easily adapt them by just adding 10% to the cook time. Also, be very leery of any recipe that calls for cooking pasta in an Instant Pot. Pasta typically does not do well in a pressure cooker.
Arey ou saying that commercial where the father makes mac and cheese is lying?

I have never done it. Don't see a reason.
aTm_bomb
AG
I've done a chili Mac that came out well... Just need to vent the pressure and use whole wheat. It holds up better
aTm_bomb
AG
DP
chipotle
Instant pot is a less powerful pressure cooker and a terrible slow cooker. My recommendation is get you a decent one of both.
Vernada
AG
I've cooked spaghetti noodles in mine. Worked great.
Vernada
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3055707

Recent instant pot thread.
turfman80
AG
After two years of the InstantPot, my regular uses are to cook dried beans (excellent!) and to make heavy broths using chicken, beef or seafood to then make soups, stews and gumbos. My regular IP dinner recipe is:

https://www.platingsandpairings.com/instant-pot-cheesy-southwestern-lentils-brown-rice/

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Rexter
I use it mainly for pot roast. Brown the toast on the stove and then drop it in the pot with carrots. I don't care for potatoes cooked in with it. I sub broth for water. I've tried several scratch recipes for seasoning, but the family prefers the Crockpot Slow Cooker seasoning packet. I make gravy with the broth, and have mashed potatoes. It's great to be able to do a roast in 1.5 hours.
SpiderDude
AG
I second the pork verde although I cheat and just throw in a bottle of Herdez brand salsa verde among with fresh onion and cilantro... maybe a jalapeno for added heat.

This is also a bomb chicken tortilla soup:

https://flavorrd.com/2014/03/chicken-tortilla-soup
gigemags87
AG
More on the pork verde recipe and experiences:

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3018280/replies
ftworthag02
AG
We mainly use it for steel cut oatmeal, have done the chicken w/ green Chiles and also a recipe using frozen chicken breasts, cream, noodles, and spinach (can't remember where I found the recipe)
HTownAg98
Instant Pots also make excellent risotto, because they have a non-stick coating and don't get hot enough under pressure to scorch the rice.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
My Instant Pot is stainless steel and doesn't have a non-stick coating and I've had excellent results making risotto.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Here are two pasta recipes that I have had good luck with:

Creamy Tortellini Soup - Not really a soup, super easy dump and go recipe

Penne and Italian Sausage - I use this for meal prepping (5 meals)

Gig-Em2003
AG
Make this, it's incredible:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/pressure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe.html
NATE AG03
AG
Quote:

terrible slow cooker
How so? I bought the Instant Pot glass lid and haven't had any issue. Admittedly, I've pretty much used the slow cooker function only for queso, so I don't have much experience beyond that for that specific use. It's become my go-to rice cooker though.
95_Aggie
AG

Quote:

Different Heat Sources
To understand why the Instant Pot fails as a slow cooker, you need to understand how heat is generated in both these appliances.
A slow cooker heats from the bottom. That heat spreads up the sides so the heavy ceramic bowl of the slow cooker will soak it all up and heat all over.
An Instant Pot also derives its heat from the bottom, but the thin metal pot that it uses does not have the same heating effect as that of a slow cooker. The heat that is used to cook in an Instant Pot comes from steam that is pressurized and trapped in the pot. This works well at high temperatures to cook complex meals within an hour. But for slow cooking it is incredibly problematic.
Instant Pot states that you need somewhere between 1.5 and 2 cups of water (or other liquid like broth) in the pot for the slow cooker function to work. This is fine for soups and other liquid-based recipes, but what about thicker foods that don't require such a large amount of liquid?

https://thecookful.com/should-you-use-instant-pot-as-slow-cooker/
Lucky Jack Aubrey
AG
Kalua pork with cabbage. Several recipes around. Use the Hawaiian pink salt for best results, and be sure to add the cabbage in at the end. If you cook it the same duration as the pork, it will liquify.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Keto crack chicken.
Best tip for instapot cooking is to add a fair bit more salt than you normally would to get actual flavor.
BAT2007
AG
I posted a lengthy post in this thread with some links and hopefully helpful information

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2819699/replies/48666755
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Made the Penne and Italian Sausage tonight. Added 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes. It was excellent.
SACR
AG
I read through the penne and sausage recipe, I don't understand why you'd need an instant pot to make it. You can simmer Italian sausage in water for 12 minutes and it is done, which is also the time it takes to make pasta in a one pot meal. That recipe looks like one you could make in a regular skillet on the stove in under 20 minutes, and you don't need chicken broth.
Vernada
AG
I guess it depends how folks are using and what else they are doing.

There are some things I've started using the Instantpot for that I could easily do on the stove, but this gives me a set-and-forget thing that I can use and keep the stovetop free for other things.
HtownAg92
AG
We use it all the time for roasts, whole chicken cut up, ribs, etc. I also like it for quick rice dishes like jambalaya or fried rice. Saute your vegetables and meat a little, add rice, broth and spices, set it and it is done quick.

For anything with pasta, I just cook the pasta normally on the stove then mix it in the Insta pot with whatever I cooked there -- like short ribs.
JYDog90
AG
I cook green beans and collard greens in it at least once a week. Love it.
chipotle
HtownAg92 said:

I also like it for quick rice dishes like jambalaya or fried rice. Saute your vegetables and meat a little, add rice, broth and spices, set it and it is done quick

Can you expand a bit on your jambalaya? Is it more of a wet rice recipe or dry? Most YouTube videos I've seen for instant pot jambalaya comes out rather wet. I prefer my rice to fall apart from each other.
HtownAg92
AG
Definitely dry. Just enough stock for the rice to absorb. I do it by sight so don't know exact, but barely covering it in the pot.
TexAg2001
AG
We actually now own 2 Instant Pots. Started with a 6qt and moved to an 8 qt, and, yes, we've actually used both at once. We cook at least 1 meal a week in the Instant Pot. Some of our favorites have already been mentioned on this thread, but here are some other things we use it for:

• Brown rice. We make a batch of rice every weekend and use it throughout the week as needed
  • Hard-boiled eggs. We do them on Sunday and eat during the week for breakfast
  • Always a hit: https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-cajun-sausage-potatoes-and-green-beans/
  • Pasta nearly always turns out good, but we typically reduce the cooking time by a minute or 2. Mac & Cheese is a kids favorite. We've several types of pasta for this recipe and it always turns out good: https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-mac-cheese/
  • Risotto. Someone already mentioned, but I was very surprised by how fantastic it turns out
  • Shredded Chicken
  • Pot Roast
  • Pulled pork
  • We've made pork ribs. I finished them on the grill to get a char. They were incredibly tender and obviously missing smoke flavor, but it was kind of nice to be eating ribs less than an hour after starting the cook.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Hard-boiled eggs. We do them on Sunday and eat during the week for breakfast
Have you found the sweet spot? I have tried:

5 min cook, release after 5 min rest > green around the yolk
4 min cook, release after 3 min rest > soft yolk

I use Eggland's Best ... sometimes they are smaller than the store brand large egg.

TexAg2001
AG
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

Hard-boiled eggs. We do them on Sunday and eat during the week for breakfast
Have you found the sweet spot? I have tried:

5 min cook, release after 5 min rest > green around the yolk
4 min cook, release after 3 min rest > soft yolk

I use Eggland's Best ... sometimes they are smaller than the store brand large egg.

I have a mild egg allergy, so I never eat them, but my wife and kids do and say they are great. This is how she does it:

She adds 1 cup of water and cooks them on the trivet inside the Instant Pot. 4 min cook, 4 minute rest, 4 minute in ice water. Usually 10-12 eggs at once. HEB brand large eggs

They peel incredibly easy also. The eggs just pop right out of the shell.
HTownAg98
This is another one I've never understood for eggs. You can boil them for 11 eleven minutes and they're done, and supposedly steaming them for 11-13 minutes makes them easiest to peel.
95_Aggie
AG
I have steamed eggs both in the instant pot and on the stovetop with a steamer insert in a saucepan.

They turn out basically the same (easy to peel). The instant pot method is just more "set it and forget it".
HTownAg98
So is a pot of boiling water.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.