Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

European restaurant recommendations

2,252 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dc509
Prophet00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might be a far reach, but we're heading to Europe in March for about 9 days. We'll be in Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris, with the majority of our time in Paris.

Obviously there are tons of choices for food, but curious if anyone has some can't miss locations in these cities?
Joe Exotic
AG
Any doner kebap place full of Turks
Matsui
AG
Which region are you at in Paris?
Prophet00
AG
We're still lining up our apartment, but looking around the 7th or possibly 18th arrondissement.

Since we'll be in Paris for 5 days, I'm sure we'll go to a wide variety of areas.
Tumble Weed
Hotel Plaza Athenee
for dining in Paris

Laduree
for breakfast in Paris
Vernada
AG
Cafe Du March is a great typical patio cafe. (Avoid Le Central across the street)

38 Rue Cler, 75007 Paris, France
rononeill
Went here on a rec from my wife's Parisian boss : [url] https://anysetiersduroy.com/[/url]

If you like cassoulet, you'll be amazed. Service was great. I asked for help with the wine list and the old lady waiting tables insisted on the house vin rouge instead of the chateau neuf or whatever I was pointing at at 3x the price. If it's cold or rainy this is about as awesome as it gets. It's on the island across from the Notre Dame island.
Duncan Idaho
I always eat one meal at a McDonald's in every country i go to.

It is interesting to see how they localize the menu.
Sooner Born
I just booked an Airbnb in Paris that is around the corner from a McDonalds. Looking forward to my Le Big Mac.
Vernada
AG
Sooner Born said:

I just booked an Airbnb in Paris that is around the corner from a McDonalds. Looking forward to my Le Big Mac.

Royale with cheese.
Duncan Idaho
You laugh but I am not alone

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/why-travelers-eat-at-international-mcdonalds/
I don't seek them out but MCD is often the best choice near major tourist attractions (castles, parks, monuments).

If you are going to be surrounded by tourists trap options, might as well pick something cheap with fast service and predictable quality. Plus, mcccafes mean one stop shopping for food, bathroom and coffee.
Sooner Born said:

walking out of your apartment to grab McDonald's, no way. But after 4 hours at Versailles, you can bet your ass you'll be picking up a royale w cheese and some coffee and macaroons for the train ride back.
Bulldog73
AG
Don't forget the free WiFi.
dummble
AG
We went because we were meeting my boss and even he said it is a little touristy but Le Relais de l'Entrecote was amazing. We are not "buffet people" and I do not like steak houses since it is pretty much all the same food in the US but this was something else. They do seatings and you wait outside and they let in a bunch of tables. You pay one price, add some house wine to your bill and you get a salad then unlimited steak and frites with this green sauce that is just so damn good. Never had anything like it since.
Prophet00
AG
I was recommended this place as well a few weeks ago. I think we'll be adding it to our list!
Agree - one of the few tourist traps that actually has a really great product. Note the one in NY is not as good.
heddleston
AG
Plus many of the workers there speak English, they know that Americans like to ask for ice, they have the touchscreen menus in English, and their bathrooms are usually clean. The food is about the 4th or 5th thing on my mind at best when I decide to go to McDonald's
ValleyRatAg
AG
dc509
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Hotel Plaza Athenee
for dining in Paris

Laduree
for breakfast in Paris
Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athenee is incredible.

At the George V
http://www.restaurant-lecinq.com/en/

Both restaurants are very high end, but they're amazing.

For a more reasonably priced experience skip McDonalds and walk through the side streets and find restaurants that French people are eating in. Oh and make sure to order the table wine. Always order the table wine.

Also, when you're in Amsterdam if you go to the Van Gogh Museum make sure to buy some of the premium Gouda they sell there. I know that sounds like an odd purchase at a museum, but if you like cheese it's awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.