Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Brisket on Traeger?

3,226 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
aggieredneck12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I received a new traeger for Christmas and was informed I am doing a brisket for the ribs family on Thursday. I've never done brisket on traegers so my question is temp recommendation and time/pound?
Thanks in advance.
NColoradoAG
275, wrap when it hits 165-170 if the color is right. Cook to tenderness, not temp. Start probing at 195. An hour per pound is close but dont ever be a slave to time. Brisket holds well so start it early.
oldyella
AG
250 is what I do mine at. I agree with wrapping 6-7 hours in when the temp is in the stall, wrap with the red, unwaxed, butcher paper now available at HEB. Figure at least an hour per pound, each brisket has its own mind, pull like above when it is tender not by temp (usually anywhere from 195-204). Season however you want, I like using the Costco coarse pepper and salt a ratio of 4.5-3. I usually pad my brisket finish time 3 hours before dinner time and let it rest wrapped in a towel in a cooler. Slice as close to dinner time as possible, or if the Mrs. allows, as you serve. Smaller briskets cook faster than the larger ones, above 14 I usually see it going over 1 hour per pound.

If you do not own one yet, invest in a thermapen.
Austintm
1 hour on the smoke setting
COok at 250 until you reach 165-ish
Wrap in butcher paper and set temp at 275
I take mine off at 200-205 degrees (and the probe test feels like butter) and rest
YourFavAggie
AG
Austintm said:

1 hour on the smoke setting
COok at 250 until you reach 165-ish
Wrap in butcher paper and set temp at 275
I take mine off at 200-205 degrees (and the probe test feels like butter) and rest
2nd this. I have done a couple on my pellet grill and have great results with this method.
Eyes of texas Crying
Duncan Idaho
So for you people that wrap....why dont you just move the brisket to your stove instead?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The head chef from Traeger is at Brisket Camp. She said in a pellet smoker fat car should always be down because of airflow
BQ78
AG
You can but real men cook outdoors.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also apparently the quality of pellets varies dramatically
JAG03
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Also apparently the quality of pellets varies dramatically

Let me guess she thinks traeger has the best pellets?
Austintm
Duncan Idaho said:

So for you people that wrap....why dont you just move the brisket to your stove instead?
Ban poster. revoke credentials.
Philip J Fry
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Before I got my pellet grill, I'd smoke for 6-7 hours, then throw it in the oven to cook over night.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Actually she didn't say that the guys at WSM did, the guys that won the world championship used something jack pellets
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I'd go 225 until the brisket hits 140 then crank to 275.
A treager is not going to over smoke it so I wouldn't worry about wrapping but it might help it through the stall
ORAggieFan
Traeger pellets are crap. Go with a brand that doesn't use filler.
NColoradoAG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Actually she didn't say that the guys at WSM did, the guys that won the world championship used something jack pellets

She said they used Lumberjack pellets.
Philip J Fry
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Traeger pellets are crap. Go with a brand that doesn't use filler.

Can you provide an example?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
From what I understand they all use oak as a base, then the flavored wood is anywhere from 20-40%

20% being the average. WSM is on the upper end
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.