Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

2020 Beer Innovations

5,659 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bmc13
CheersforBeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any ideas on what the alcoholic beverage trends will be for next year? Do you think the seltzer craze will continue? Any particular flavors that might become very popular?
Liquid Wrench
What is your job at Karbach?
SpiderDude
AG
Bourbon in a can.
Punked Shank
AG
Hard kombucha. Its been big out here in san diego the last year and a half or so.

White ckaws were big 2 summers ago, so im going by whats good in SD is going to get big in the country on a delayed time line.
tlepoC
AG
Hard kombucha would be actually be pretty good.

CheersforBeers
Unfortunately I don't work for Karbach.
wessimo
AG
Why did you start a thread about beer innovations and then bring up seltzer?

I think the trend of drinking at the local brewery will continue, and hopefully some of these neighborhood breweries will focus on some unique styles instead of chasing fads and making whatever everybody else is.
schmendeler
AG
is cider over now?
62strat
AG
SpiderDude said:

Bourbon in a can.

Punked Shank
AG
Aggierific said:

Hard kombucha would be actually be pretty good.

It is actually pretty tasty. There are multiple brewers now; Local Roots, Juneshine, BoochCraft being 3 of the big ones. Local Roots is my favorite.

They all run around 6 to 8%...lotta different flavors.
HTownAg98
62strat said:

SpiderDude said:

Bourbon in a can.

My first impression was that Stillhouse looks like it is paint thinner. When I tried it, that was confirmed.
Matsui
AG
spiked cold brew coffee
HTownAg98
Back to beer, next year's fad will be a pecan chocolate caramel vanilla coconut stout double aged in rum and bourbon barrels.
wessimo
AG
ISO!!
Punked Shank
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Back to beer, next year's fad will be a pecan chocolate caramel vanilla coconut stout double aged in rum and bourbon barrels.

On nitro
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Time for the pendulum to swing back the other way. Expect to see ambers, browns, bocks and other tasty beers get some overdue attention and the bitter beer scene slowly descends back to somewhat normal portion of the market.
NColoradoAG
Matsui said:

spiked cold brew coffee
I think you will start to see some beers along these lines soon. I believe PBR's venture into this style tested really well over the summer and is about to be released nationwide. I think youll see craft breweries jump on the trend utilizing a milk stout base with heavy additions of lactose, whole milk, or cream and heavy additions of coffee. Basically a hard frappuccino.

I also thing that dry hopped hard seltzer is going to become more popular.

You are also going to see alot of experimenting with low cal/low carb hazy ipa's
dallasiteinsa02
Low carb/Low cal IPAs would be great. Hope they can figure it out to not screw up my favorite taste.

62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Matsui said:

spiked cold brew coffee

I also thing that dry hopped hard seltzer is going to become more popular.

I had a dry hopped wine from infinite monkey. It was.. interesting.

Would love to see the oenobeer trend take off. Liberati's offerings are out of this world. I brought my brother and wife who are sonoma/napa snobs, and they were genuinely really liking them.
redag06
Matsui said:

spiked cold brew coffee
Already seeing hard coffee at ingenious in Humble.
Punked Shank
AG
I feel like hard coffee wluld just be a strong porter with coffee. Is this not the case?
Ornlu
AG
fav13andac1)c
AG
Not trying to turn this into beer thread lite, but that beer was not terrible.
Ornlu
AG
It was the weirdest thing I've ever drank. Smelled like 100% dill juice, but the taste started off like Salty Lady and ended like a pickle-juice snowcone.

Terrible.... at first. But then it grows on ya.
schmendeler
AG
That's what she said
BusterAg
AG
Cannibus seltzer waters are starting to take off in states where it is legal. Some are dry hopped.

For beer, I have started seeing more ipas with higher carbonate contents. I think that may turn into a big thing.

I still think that Sake is due for some love in the next 5 years or so. We need more good sake brewers in the US.
Punked Shank
AG
BusterAg said:

Cannibus seltzer waters are starting to take off in states where it is legal. Some are dry hopped.

For beer, I have started seeing more ipas with higher carbonate contents. I think that may turn into a big thing.

I still think that Sake is due for some love in the next 5 years or so. We need more good sake brewers in the US.

I can never taste a difference in sakes
mazag08
AG
I had a candy corn cream ale around Halloween that was pretty spot on in flavor to its name. And Shiner has the Smores beer.

I could see a candy bar trend..

Snickers
3 Muskateers
Butterfinger (would be weird, but I weirdly want it to happen)
Mounds (already exists with Kona's Toasted Coconut)
Milky Way
Kit Kat
Reeses (plenty of breweries have done good work with chocolate and peanut butter flavors)
Twix
etc.

We already have plenty of sour beer that tastes like sour candy.
mazag08
AG
Hopefully there isn't a "meal" sort of how lays did a bunch of experimenting.

Wasabi & Ginger
Mac N Cheese
Loaded Baked Potato
Caeser Salad
SoTxAg
AG
Between Ingenious, Martin House and a couple other breweries, i think all food-flavor profiles will be covered soon.
AggieOO
mazag08 said:

I had a candy corn cream ale around Halloween that was pretty spot on in flavor to its name. And Shiner has the Smores beer.

I could see a candy bar trend..

Snickers
Redhorn's Superfly Jimmy Snicka Stout is one of my favorite beers they make.
johnnyblaze36
AG
A buddy of mine just launched this line of vodka sodas in a can out of Austin. The appeal isn't really there for me and I love vodka but he was responsible for growing Deep Eddy into a national brand so I'm interested to see where it goes.

https://drinkcanteen.com/product-lineup

Quote:

AUSTIN, Texas Serial beverage innovators from Austin, Texas are making moves once again. Founders Brandon Cason (Waterloo Sparkling Water & Deep Eddy Vodka), Daniel Barnes (Waterloo Sparkling Water & Treaty Oak Distilling) and Caroline Fabacher are excited to unveil CANTEEN, a sparkling vodka soda lineup made with all-natural flavors but without sugar (0 grams), carbs (0 grams), or sodium (0 grams). Better still, each can contains only 99 calories. CANTEEN will be a driver in the "ready to drink" ("RTD") category as it looks to launch at a $12.99 retail price point which is a clear value to consumers.

Launching this Fall, CANTEEN is a 5% ABV beverage in the convenience of a standard 12 oz. can that delivers a premium, fresh taste without the nutritional facts consumers want to avoid. The debut line up of all-American flavors will include Black Cherry, Watermelon, Grapefruit, Lime, and Cucumber Mint. Sold in 6-packs, CANTEEN will hit stores this fall, just in time for tailgate season.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Where did you buy that Best Maid beer? I've not seen that in B/CS and I love dill pickles. Looks...interesting.
Punked Shank
AG
Cutwater and a number of others have released similar lineups 1 or 2 years ago.

They are okay and 7% at the same price point.

Edit: theyve done vodka sodas canned plus a wide variety of other drinks canned. Im curious about the cold brew one.

https://cutwaterspirits.com/canned-cocktails/
JCA1
AG
PKL FKR by New Braunfels Brewing is another pickle-based beer. I'm a fan.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.