Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

L&L hawaiian bbq

2,189 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Johnny2Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They have a few in Texas. One in san Antonio. Anyone ever eat there?
FIDO*98*
AG
Yes, it's very good
Philip J Fry
AG
Total garbage compared to real Hawaiian food.
Austintm
Philip J Fry said:

Total garbage compared to real Hawaiian food.
Actually, L & L is all over the place in Hawaii. It actually is "real" Hawaiian fast food, which typically consists of a meat, 2 scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. This type of "Hawaiian" food is pretty prevalent, and is incredibly unhealthy along with a substantial portion of the Hawaiian diet. No, this is not the traditional Hawaiian fare, but it is what a lot of people eat, especially for lunch

We go over to Hawaii regularly, and have kids that live there.
Philip J Fry
AG
McDonalds is there as well. Wouldn't call it legit island fare. Go to Kauai and eat at any of the hole in the wall joints like the Pono Market. Nothing like L and L.
FIDO*98*
AG
Man must be nice to be TexAgs rich and get to hop a private plane to Maui when the mood strikes for some Hawaiian food. Maybe you can continue the Pacific crossing and report back on the Thai food or Japanese sushi
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm not going to lie. It is nice.
Austintm
Philip J Fry said:

McDonalds is there as well. Wouldn't call it legit island fare. Go to Kauai and eat at any of the hole in the wall joints like the Pono Market. Nothing like L and L.
Did you read my post? I didn't say it was "legit". I said L & L is all over, and the stuff they serve is the basic meat +2 +1 served at any number of places. It's a standard plate. It's not healthy, and it's not good. But they eat it a lot over there.

"Real" modern regional Hawaiian cuisine has been pretty much defined by Roy Yamaguchi, Peter Merriman, Sam Chou, Alan Wong and a few others. Sheldon Simeon and Lee Ann Wong (who has an awesome breakfast/brunch place called KoKo Head Cafe) from Top Chef are part of the newer guard. There is a lot of good food in Hawaii, but not L & L. That said, L & L, crap though it may be, is a Hawaii staple.
Tailgate88
AG
My wife is from Honolulu and we stop at L&L for "plate lunch" whenever we go back.
Philip J Fry
AG
So we are agreed. It's total crap compared to real Hawaiian food. Not sure what the argument is.
FIDO*98*
AG
It's not as much of an argument about quality as it is about context. I don't eat at places like Whataburger, Pei Wei, or Taco Cabana if I can possibly avoid it because better alternatives are always right around the corner. If you live in SA and want Hawaiian food, guess what? You have exactly one option.

I've only been once, had the garlic shrimp, and it was solid. It is out of the way and as has been pointed out not healthy at all so I would doubt I'll visit more than once a year or so if that.
Johnny2Fan
We just went to the opening in greenbrier va. Food was awesome. Will go again soon.
Johnny2Fan
Very true, he doesn't get that though. Probably a know it all.
Austintm
Philip J Fry said:

So we are agreed. It's total crap compared to real Hawaiian food. Not sure what the argument is.
(sigh). We agree it's crap. We disagree on the term "real." To use your place above, McDonald's sucks, but it is "real" American food. L & L sucks, but it's 'real" in the sense that what they serve is actually part of the (bad) diet in Hawaii.
Tailgate88
AG
The Whataburger comparison is a good one. There are local places in Hawaii that serve fantastic plate lunch and then there is L&L which is a chain and pretty good. There are local places in Texas that sell fantastic burgers and then there is Whataburger, which is pretty good.
Duncan Idaho
If they sell that spam sushi or what ever the real name is, they are alright in my book.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.