Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smoking Ribs Question

2,114 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ornlu
PanzerAggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my dad gave me his electric smoker and I'm trying my hand at ribs for the first time. How often should you replace the wood chips? Is it simply a matter of when smoke is no longer being produced or can that lead to over-smoking them (if that's even possible)?
TxSquarebody
Disclaimer: I have never used anything but an offset smoker, so take this how you will.
I would keep the clean smoke rolling for 2 hours at 275, then sauce and wrap. Keep the heat at 275 for another hour. Unwrap and rest for 30 before slicing. Enjoy!
HTownAg98
Can it cook without burning wood chips? If so, smoke them for two hours and kill the smoke. Then finish to doneness. Don't wrap them. Wrapping breaks them down too much.
GtownRAB
AG
You can over smoke them for sure, but it comes down to personal preference on how much smoke you like. I would start with less or milder smoke, than add more next cook if needed.

What kind of chips? Fruit wood or milder woods, you can use more. Stronger woods like mesquite will over power food pretty quick

Clean smoke - I don't have much experience with electric smokers either, but pretty sure with the small chips you mainly get white smoke until the chips are gone. This is the more bitter smoke that stick burners will let burn off before cooking, so it will over power the food pretty fast.

Wrapping - some people prefer the more fall of the bone rib, if that is the case, wrapping them mid cook works well and let them braise in liquid. I prefer unwrapped, tender, but a nice bark and the meat stays on the bone.

Basically, play around with different methods of rubs, amount and kinds of smoke, wrapping, etc....and find what works best for you. Don't rush it or cook to a certain time, the meat will tell you when it's ready. Each cook is different.
Ornlu
AG
I used an electric for years, though I've now graduated to propane.

Htown's advice is solid. 2 hours w smoke at 275, and add more chips about an hour in. That's about when the first chips will be nothing but ash. Then finish to desired tenderness w no smoke, at around 250.

Select the wood to match the seasons on the ribs. I do mesquite for a spicy dry rub. Oak for salt+blackpepper only. Apple, cherry or peach for anything sweet/saucy.
Ornlu
AG
Oh, 1 more thing: that water pan has nothing to do with humidity. It has EVERYTHING to do with temperature control. It is just a giant heat sink.

Electric and propane smokers have a very constant, predictable heat input. If the pan goes empty and stops absorbing energy, the temp will rapidly spike because the heat input won't slow down to match. Refill the water pan when you add chips 1 hour in, and then again when you turn the heat down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.