Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What to do with left over whey?

1,321 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HTownAg98
lb sand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have recently started making homemade yogurt in my instapot. It is super easy to make.
However when I strain the yogurt in cheesecloth I am left with a few cups worth of whey.
I know it is packed full of protein, but I have been just pouring down the sink.

Anyone have experience with using whey like this? I was thinking of pouring on my dogs kibbles at the very least.
Is there any reason to not do this?
Duncan Idaho
I dont strain mine
ValleyRatAg
AG
That may be hard on your dog's kidneys I'd ask the outdoor board on that one.

Other than that I have no idea what to do with it.
Al Bula
AG
Pair with curds and give to the nearest young girl sharing a foot stool with a spider.
HTownAg98
Add a cup of heavy cream and some citric acid and make ricotta. You may never buy ricotta in the grocery store ever again.
lb sand
AG
Thanks.
Im going to try that next time.
GeorgiAg
AG
Just clicked on this post for interest and followed up with a google search. Interesting.

This looks cool:
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/cheese-recipes/ziergerkase-cheese/
BusterAg
AG
Texicurean said:

I have recently started making homemade yogurt in my instapot. It is super easy to make.
However when I strain the yogurt in cheesecloth I am left with a few cups worth of whey.
I know it is packed full of protein, but I have been just pouring down the sink.

Anyone have experience with using whey like this? I was thinking of pouring on my dogs kibbles at the very least.
Is there any reason to not do this?
Recipe? Even a link that worked well for you. Curious on this.
lb sand
AG
My instant pot has a "yogurt" button on it.
If you use ultra-pasteurized milk, you don't need to do the whole bring the milk up to temp and let cool before starting.

So I use 1/2" gallon of HEB organic ultra-pasteurized whole milk. You can use 2% if you want. I only buy the organic milk because it is ultra-pasteurized.

pour the milk into the pot, stir in a few table spoons of store bought plain greek yogurt. must have active cultures.

Put the lid back on the instant pot and press the yogurt button. It takes 8 hrs, so maybe do this before you go to bed. Thats it.
I found that what you get at the end is still pretty runny so I choose to strain out alot of the whey. I line a colander with cheesecloth and put the colander in a bigger bowl. I usually let the yogurt drain in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours.

You can then use this batch of yogurt as your starter for the next batch you make.
GeorgiAg
AG
Directions: Press yogurt button
Kid Shelleen 13
AG
Add pinche to it!
BusterAg
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Directions: Press yogurt button
I own an instant pot, so I do feel kinda silly.
HTownAg98
It's runny because the temperature is set too low. If you can set the temperature manually, set it to 111. I do that when I make sous vide yogurt, and it's the right thickness for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.