Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Beef Ribs in Houston?

3,385 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jswags
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So after dropping my mortgage payment at Pete's for some beef plate short ribs, I figured I need a new place to acquire them. Does the Bunker Hill HEB or Costco carry them? That area is preferred.
Road_ag
AG
Costco in Katy does off and on. Seems to be only available Thurs-Sun when they have them but could be because that's the only times I go. The later you go in that time frame the more picked over they are I have noticed.
Two Down
AG
Assuming you indeed want plate over chuck - I've had pretty poor luck finding them inside Houston.

If you don't need them today though, I've ordered from Rosenthal @TAMU - they are relatively inexpensive and will ship.

Also this assumes you're looking for rib, bone-in slab.
DiskoTroop

H-E-B in Kingwood
JCA1
AG
BSD said:

So after dropping my mortgage payment at Pete's for some beef plate short ribs, I figured I need a new place to acquire them. Does the Bunker Hill HEB or Costco carry them? That area is preferred.
The Bunker Hill HEB usually has short ribs. I've had them pull out a still cryo-vac'ed, uncut rack from the back and cut them to order.
Two Down
AG
Those pictured and all the racks I've ever seen at HEB are chuck short ribs (4 bone). While I enjoy these a lot (may even prefer them) BSD had mentioned he wanted plate short ribs which come from a different section and are typically longer.
DiskoTroop
Two Down said:

Those pictured and all the racks I've ever seen at HEB are chuck short ribs (4 bone). While I enjoy these a lot (may even prefer them) BSD had mentioned he wanted plate short ribs which come from a different section and are typically longer.

Ah ha!! Missed that bit!
AggieFabricator
Just go to Pinkertons.
BSD
AG
I don't think they'll let me smoker their ribs there. I don't want to get arrested again.
80sGeorge
AG
Convinced the bbq spots get all the best plate ribs.

The ones at Costco are thin. BBQ spots get the thick meaty ones.

Tried twice now talking to butchers at Central Mkt and they act like I'm crazy for not taking the chuck ribs and insisting on plate.

How were the ones from Rosenthal??
DiskoTroop
I've had to explain to butchers at both Central Market and H-E-B what the cap of the ribeye was and why I didn't want a crappy end cut steak.
BSD
AG
I'll keep looking but $80/plate just isn't reasonable. Lesson learned!!!

But the results were fantastic!

80sGeorge
AG
Regret that I have but 1 blue star to give. Looks awesome
fav13andac1)c
AG
Love the creeping dog in the first pic
BusterAg
AG
If you can find a way to shop at restaurant depo, I routinely find plate ribs there. Usually still pretty expensive, and not restaurant quality (irony, I know), but pretty nice quality.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Any suggestions on finding a way to shop at restaurant depot?
BusterAg
AG
I do a lot of cooking for events for my church. That is how I shop there.

Quote:

For Members Only

We are not open to the public. Free membership cards are issued at our warehouse stores to those who own or manage a restaurant, coffee shop, bar, pizzeria, night club, caterer, deli, foodservice distributor and non-profit organization.

scrimp
AG
If you join Kansas City BBQ Society ($40/yr), you can get day passes at Restaurant Depot. When I went to my local RD, they just printed out a membership card when I showed the KCBS membership.
95_Aggie
AG
You must torture your neighbors with awesome bbq smells
Tumble Weed
I have not found a piece of meat that the Ruffinos cannot source for me, given a heads up.
Call Readfield's in Bryan and have them ship it.

Tell us about the offset in the picture and the cook time on the ribs.
BSD
AG
95_Aggie said:

You must torture your neighbors with awesome bbq smells

Haha. They were all invited that night. But today's briskets...well these ain't for them!

(I'm cooking for tomorrow's office thanksgiving lunch so I'm working from home today)
BSD
AG
Tumble Weed said:

I have not found a piece of meat that the Ruffinos cannot source for me, given a heads up.
Call Readfield's in Bryan and have them ship it.

Tell us about the offset in the picture and the cook time on the ribs.

I'll look into it. Or maybe Rosenthal might have em?

The offset is from Mill Scale Metalworks in Lockhart.
Cook time was about 9 hours (I had 3 plates in there)
jswags
AG
Try Smitty's in Tomball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.