Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Attempting another brisket this weekend

4,759 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BusterAg
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
4 day weekend for me, doing a brisket on Sunday.

Got a Prime brisket at HEB for a reasonable price ($3.59/lb), at 13.x pounds untrimmed. I've never had one turn out TERRIBLE, but I haven't knocked one out of the park yet, either. This will be my first time to try a Prime brisket, so I want to do everything as "spot on" as possible.

My usual process is to coat liberally with Bolner's Brisket Rub the night before and leave it in the fridge until I get up in the early a.m. to start my fire. I have used yellow mustard in the past to give the rub something to stick to. Never noticed any mustard flavor in the finished product, so may do the same again.

I have an egg-type smoker (Grill Dome), and use lump charcoal. Usually my pit is closer to 250* than 225*, and I keep the meat on the grill 1-1.5 hrs per pound, taking if off the grill at just over 200* internal temp.

I've never gotten really great bark, and never much of a smoke ring. I do have some oak limbs from trees in my yard that I cut and stacked a few years ago. Thinking about getting my coals going and then throwing a few sticks on top before putting the brisket on this time.

Also thinking about skipping the Bolners and using Franklin's "coarse salt and ground black pepper" rub instead. I have whole peppercorns and will grind them the night before.

Anyone see any red flags or have any other suggestions to help me get to that "next level" brisket?

Also, I bought the brisket last night and was hesitant to leave it just in the fridge all the way until Sunday, so I had the wife put it in the freezer a few hours ago. Good/bad move?

TIA
NColoradoAG
It doesnt need to be in the freezer if you're cooking it Sunday. Youre going to have to pull it out on Friday anyway to thaw it back out.

I would definitely find some wood chunks to add to your fire. Ive never done a brisket on my Egg with straight charcoal, but I'd imagine the flavor could be a little lacking without some wood chunks.

Ive been mixing some pickle juice with mustard before I coat my brisket. I just do equal parts kosher salt and fresh coarse ground pepper. I usually trim and season the brisket in the PM before the cook.

I cook at 275 on my Egg and always have a nice bark and smoke ring. I wrap in butcher paper as it starts to creep out of the stall (165ish) and cook to tenderness and not temp. I've had primes done anywhere between 195 and 203.

The biggest key to cooking a nice brisket, or all bbq for that matter, is just maintaining a nice clean fire and not messing with things too much.
Tumble Weed
Get it out of the freezer.

Better smoke makes a better brisket. I use mesquite, but I would like to try pecan.

I don't use other people's spice blends, I want control of each amount of spice. Adjust it to your taste and you will have your own custom blend.

best to go by feel but at 250 you can probably let temp run to 202-203 or so and then cooler for an hour and a half.

remember that pull temp is inversely related to smoker temp. for instance, i've let hot and fast (325 smoker temp) go to 210-215 degrees internal but I've pulled sous vide at 150 internal because i have them in the bath for 24-36 hours.

salt and pepper is good for the rub.

agree with others on adding a few wood chunks but make sure you know what you are adding and that they wood isn't green. if the smoke smells bad, pull your brisket and fix your fire. or just buy chunks from a commercial source vs. scavenging around in your yard.

good luck!
Max Power
AG
I'll echo what others have said, you need wood for smoke, not just charcoal. And you need chunks of wood, not just sticks, and not green wood, needs to be dry. You can get those at any bbq store or even hardware store normally, I've ordered plenty from amazon. Better to get it on earlier rather than later and plan for rest. The biggest thing I've done to swing the quality of my briskets is to make sure they get enough rest, I like to give them a couple of hours in a cooler once they're done.
BourbonAg
AG
Quote:

The biggest key to cooking a nice brisket, or all bbq for that matter, is just maintaining a nice clean fire and not messing with things too much.
This is very true. I do competitions and have done well with everything from BGEs to large offsets. If you are going to wrap, make sure your bark is set and looks like how you want it before you wrap. When you are getting close to it being done, don't worry about the actual temp. Instead, use a probe or skewer or something to poke it. It should slide in like you are putting a toothpick into a pad of butter that has been sitting out on the counter.
lazuras_dc
AG
Make sure you're getting temp reading at the grate and not the dome (big difference!)

For rub mustard is fine to help stuff adhere. use Coarse Salt and coarse Pepper and I've heard (but not tried ) brown sugar for better bark. Also spritzing with pickle juice is a trick I've heard some of the top guys do. Can also use apple cider vinegar or apple juice.

As other said. Get better smoke with wood chunks don't wrap until you have good bark. You can make it the whole cook without wrapping if your bark isn't there when you're expecting it to be. When you hit 200 run ur probe thru to make sure it's tender in all the different spots and pull when it slides thru all areas without resistance. definitely towel it up and put it in a cooler to rest it when it's done. The longer the better 2-3 hrs.
ORAggieFan
You didn't mention trimming so I suggest that if it wasn't an oversight.

Won't matter too much but Franklin actually suggests pre ground pepper to not over power it.

Assuming you get a good bark and color I'd wrap in butcher paper.

Pulling it should be based on feel, not temp. Easiest is a probe going in like a warm knife to butter.

Know how to separate the point from the flat and how to slice each properly against the grain.
SpiderDude
AG
BourbonAg said:

It should slide in like you are putting a toothpick into a pad of butter that has been sitting out on the counter.

That's what she said.
TX AG 88
AG
ORAggieFan said:

You didn't mention trimming so I suggest that if it wasn't an oversight.

Won't matter too much but Franklin actually suggests pre ground pepper to not over power it.

Assuming you get a good bark and color I'd wrap in butcher paper.

Pulling it should be based on feel, not temp. Easiest is a probe going in like a warm knife to butter.

Know how to separate the point from the flat and how to slice each properly against the grain.

Okay, will use some wrist-thick oak limbs (several years since cut). I didn't mention trimming, but that's automatic. Pre-ground pepper saves me work, so that's easy.

Biggest changes: the true oak limbs, a little sprinkling of brown sugar in addition to the rub, wrapping with parchment paper (vice foil) if at all, and cooking to probe feel vs temp. I've already been wrapping in towels and resting in a cooler for an hour or two before slicing (with point and flat separated, each against the grain).

Thanks for the comments to ORAggieFan and all others!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Don't use parchment paper. Pretty sure it's got some plastic or silicone in it. If you want to wrap go to HEB and get some butcher papers. White. Pink. Doesn't matter as long as it's not coated and it's food grade.

Don't over smoke. Use about 3-4 fist-size chunks of wood. I prefer post oak or pecan.
BourbonAg
gigemags87
AG
Be sure to rest it at least 2 hours after you get it to temp.
TX AG 88
AG
Okay, thanks. I thought I remembered Aaron Franklin saying he used parchment paper, but I was mistaken. Butcher paper or no wrap at all.
CFTXAG10
AG
Following this thread. Just got a pit boss smoker for the bday. Looking forward to putting it to use this weekend.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I'm going to try the spritz with pickle juice method. I've been using a mixture of water and worcestershire on top of my salt and pepper rub, but only spritzing a couple times during the cook. I typically do wrap in paper, but still not satisfied with the bark.
Smoke at 270-300 if you want a good bark. I don't know how much spritzing helps with bark formation. It is more salt + fat + heat.

Sacrilege to many but you can also mix a little turbinado sugar in your salt & pepper rub if you are really focused on bark.

And I would not wrap or cooler if bark is that important to you.

For me personally, bark is pretty low on my criteria for perfectly smoked brisket but those are some ideas if you are really that into bark.
chipotle
don't forget to take pictures and post back on here
ToddyHill
AG
Just my opinion...if I'm going to spend upwards of $50-$60 on a brisket, and spend upwards of 14-18 hours preparing it, I'm going to take the extra 15 or so minutes to freshly grind black peppercorns for the rub. I understand that Aaron Franklin uses pre-ground coarse Black Pepper. I guess I would too if I was smoking over 100 per day. However, in my experience, the freshly ground product produces superior flavor.
NColoradoAG
ToddyHill said:

Just my opinion...if I'm going to spend upwards of $50-$60 on a brisket, and spend upwards of 14-18 hours preparing it, I'm going to take the extra 15 or so minutes to freshly grind black peppercorns for the rub. I understand that Aaron Franklin uses pre-ground coarse Black Pepper. I guess I would too if I was smoking over 100 per day. However, in my experience, the freshly ground product produces superior flavor.
I agree. Franklin probably has enough volume where he can get that 16 mesh pepper freshly ground in bulk and move through it quickly. I dont think you'll find the same quality off the shelf at HEB.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Flavor, texture, and moisture are my priorities, but I want at least some bark. I want to have some black on it, not just brown on the surface. I will not sacrifice the other 3 to get bark though.
TX AG 88
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Flavor, texture, and moisture are my priorities, but I want at least some bark. I want to have some black on it, not just brown on the surface. I will not sacrifice the other 3 to get bark though.

I concur with this. Bark and smoke ring would be nice, but if I have those other 3, I'm happy with or without it.
ORAggieFan
ToddyHill said:

He actually says it is due to fresh ground being too over powering.
Oh I thought when you were saying bark you meant crispy exterior.

If your brisket is not getting dark / black enough, that is a smoke problem. Add some chunks and don't wrap until the last few hours.
Post removed:
by user
CFTXAG10
AG
So from strictly video research I have a couple questions.

1) Is it truly a feel it out kind of method when you reach the point of pulling the brisket to let it rest for an hour or so before cutting? I watched some of the Harry Soo videos and others who seem to just wing it, or go more by the toothpick method. I see a lot of responses here that suggest the same just wondering if there are any extra tips in this regard.

2) What is your favorite spritz that seems to work best? Ive seen pickle juice, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, just water, and even one guy who used Crown Royal Texas Mesquite?

TIA - looking forward to smoking some brisket and ribs tomorrow (first time solo). Will post pics only if there is tremendous bark and complimentary smoke ring.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Definitely go by feel. Each piece of meat is different and will also cook differently depending on cooker temp. Use a probe in several places and it should go in like sliding it into room temperature butter. No resistance.
TxSquarebody
I never spritz brisket...here's why
1.) Every time you open the door, your heat goes out
2.) There's a theory that "the stall" is a result of evaporative cooling at the surface of the meat. Spritzing would then only add more moisture that has to evaporate. Also see #1.

A great brisket can be cooked with spritzing, but IMO, not any better than leaving the door closed and watching chamber temps. It certainly takes longer to cook a spritzed brisket.
TennAg
I think OP needs to consider putting more care into the wood selection. The oak varieties are very different and live oak even irritates some people's stomachs. Also, using "arm size" pieces means you'll be burning mostly bark. I'd go with post oak chunks that you can find at academy, etc. We are talking about smoking after all.
CFTXAG10
AG
Appreciate the feedback
TX AG 88
AG
So ~12 lbs after trimming. Figured a 12-15 hour cook, so allowing 16 hours giving an hour for it to rest. Want to eat around 6:30, so the meat went on about 2:30 am.

I didn't like the look of my oak, so I bought Hickory chunks at Lowes. Added plenty of fist-sized chunks to my lump charcoal.

I got the fire going in the pit and went to trim/season the brisket. By the time I got out there, the pit temp was 400*. I fought with yo-yo'ing temps for several hours trying to get it steady around 250*. Dropped as low as 210 and got up as high as 310 while the brisket was on. Got it fairly steady at 270 and falling, so left it alone. Then I remembered Franklin puts a bowl of water on the grill with the meat, so I did that. I guess that really drops the temp, so then I was fighting to keep the temps back up. I used to have a Bubba Keg smoker (re-branded as Big Steel Keg) and I had a much easier time controlling the temp on it than I have with my XL Grill Dome. Finally got steady temps in the 250* range. I have a remote temp sensor I kept on the grill, so would go "sleep" on the couch and set a timer to check the temp every so often. 12-15 minute intervals while I was fighting temps, then 30 min once it seemed steady.

This is around 1115 this morning.

About an hour later, had more bark and was getting pretty hot (internal temp with another probe) so I wrapped it in butcher paper. Oh, forgot to add that I spritzed with apple juice/vinegar mixture occasionally. But I forgot to spritz as i was wrapping.

My temp probes say the flat and point are at 207/206, respectively. I was kind of surprised, so got my Thermapen and it registers more in the 188-190* range. Also, the probe did not insert easily, so more time is needed. Still, it looks like it'll be closer to a 12 hour than a 15 hour cook, but that's okay. I have plenty of towels and a cooler ready to receive it. Got my hopes up high, as Joe Ely might say!
BusterAg
AG
Update?
TX AG 88
AG
Very mixed results. I wrapped in butcher paper for the last few hours, but it was ready way early (<11 hours). I kind of couldn't believe it, and left it on too long.

Slicing it started okay and then got worse. The flat was firm and a little dry, but had decent flavor. i guess barbecue sauce is invented for briskets like mine. When I got to the point, the point sliced fairly nicely until i got down to the cutting board. The bottom quarter of an inch or so was a hard, stringy crust. I had to turn the blade horizontal and basically scrape the meat off of it, leaving it on the cutting board. Pretty deflating to the ego. Everyone told me the brisket was good, but I chalk that up to them being my friends and family and being nice.

My lesson learned from this one was to spend more time on the fire, getting the temp locked in and stable before putting the meat on. It's much easier getting kamado grills UP to temp than it is to get them back down in temp. During all that fighting I did with the temp, it apparently averaged out on the high side, and i was hesitant to pull the meat off when I should have. Anticipating a 12-15 hour cook, I just couldn't imagine it was done in around 11 hours. I closed up the grill to drop the temp and thought "It'll be okay in there keeping a steady temp for a while since it's wrapped." It wasn't.

To add to the misery, the spatchcock chicken I did came out pretty bland. The skin wasn't as crispy as I wanted and there just wasn't enough of it to make all the meat tasty. Aside from the skin, the meat was basically just roasted chicken. (Or maybe there was smokey flavor throughout, but I just couldn't detect it, since I had just stood over a bbq pit for the last 14 hours or so.) Anyway I wasn't happy with anything, even though I got lots of compliments.

The upside is we had a good turnout and everyone enjoyed being together.

Oh, I did get a decent bark, although somewhat excessive in places, and a smoke ring! Would gladly trade them for better taste and texture, though.
RK
AG
maybe it's in the text, but based on the pic...did you not use any sort of heat deflector?
NColoradoAG
Based on your picture yesterday, it doesnt look like you have anything diffusing heat when you're cooking low and slow. That would explain why your brisket was burned on the bottom. I would definitely look into whatever product is out there for your kamado to diffuse heat directly above your fire.

Youre also right about getting temp down. Its tough bring a 350+ kamado down to 250. However, starting a brisket at that temp, assuming theres a diffuser set up, shouldn't be a deal breaker since its a really long cook.

And I'll say it again, try not to mess with things so much! Based on your post yesterday it sounds like you were opening the lid, changing vent settings, adding water pans, and spritzing all during the cook. When you're bbqing on a kamado you need to have patience with vent settings. I also try to keep the lid closed as long as possible when doing a brisket.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.