Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Thanksgiving stuffing question

4,812 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HTownAg98
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
phideaux_2003 said:

Ok since we're talking dressing/stuffing questions...

For those who make a cornbread based dressing/stuffing...

Do you put egg in it?

I helped my grandmother make her famous dressing for probably the last 10 years of her life. She always put egg in hers and the dressing came out sorta souffl-y.

My grandmother was famous for leaving one important thing out of a recipe when passing it along and she even told me so in her later years for reasons you can imagine. (No one makes it like Maw Maw used to.) In her later years she did begin passing the actual full recipes down to me and I know that they are the full recipes because I have successfully replicated them all in past years...

When she taught my mother how to make her famous dressing she left the egg out of the recipe she passed down. I now know that it is indeed in there but mom insists her recipe is right.

Moms recipe as noted in an earlier post is consistently dry af.

So do y'all put egg in your dressings/stuffings?
Eggs in our dressing as well.

Funny story about leaving stuff out of the official recipe. I have a couple of family members that give partial recipes.

My grandmother gave us the real recipe for Pecan Pie and then showed my wife how to bake it. Now my daughter can bake it as well. It makes for a nice memory around the holidays.
DiskoTroop
Bo Darville said:

Why the hell wouldn't she pass down the correct recipe?

I guess some people have illusions of being revered after they're gone or at least while they're still alive. The old "no one made it like Nana" thing... I think if someone is famous for their specific dish they guard that so they can stay famous for it. Then many times the recipe is lost to the grave unfortunately.

I don't understand it either but it's certainly a "thing".
Joe Exotic
AG
Weird. Before my mom passed she wrote down all her recipes in the hospital as a way to pass time during chemo.
Matsui
AG
Definitely is a thing.
Matsui
AG
No eggs in our cornbread stuffing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tempering eggs into the stock is great. It creates a souffle like texture. Chopped hard boiled eggs in stuffing is disgusting.
RCR06
AG
Eggs in dressing as well. My mom puts one or two in a 9x13 pan 3 inches deep. I believe it's to help bind everything together. Definitely not enough to taste egg. Maybe it helps with moisture too.
FIDO*98*
AG
I'll write my recipes down and video tape myself making them for all I care. Still won't matter because Skill is the most important thing I add.

FIDO*98*
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

fried presents issues with making gravy, which I personally find to be a supremely important ingredient in the eating of the turkey and the dressing and the mashed potatoes (or noodles and breadcrumbs) and the rolls.

Most stores start carrying Turkey wings around now. About a week before Thanksgiving, I'll roast wings on a bed of aromatics and then dump everything in a stock pot and make a rich Turkey stock. Now you've got it for Dressing and Gravy and don't have to eat a roasted Turkey.

Old RV Ag
AG
FIDO*98* said:

fried presents issues with making gravy, which I personally find to be a supremely important ingredient in the eating of the turkey and the dressing and the mashed potatoes (or noodles and breadcrumbs) and the rolls.

Most stores start carrying Turkey wings around now. About a week before Thanksgiving, I'll roast wings on a bed of aromatics and then dump everything in a stock pot and make a rich Turkey stock. Now you've got it for Dressing and Gravy and don't have to eat a roasted Turkey.

Oh, is that how you make stock? /joke

Oh, and because I've been accused of not adding value - even with the fried turkey, use the bones to make a stock you can freeze for making soups, gravy, and whole lot of other things later.
FIDO*98*
AG
*edit to not derail thread further since message has been seen
Old RV Ag
AG
FIDO*98* said:

All you have to do is click my username and click this button and all the real estate that I'm occupying in your brain will get freed up. I figured your response may have been worth reading so I went ahead and clicked the show post button. I won't be doing that again.

If you're blocking me, then it's me that's in your head - ha! Run away, run away! Loved you still opened it to see what I had to say - bet you did it again and again.

Have a nice day!
DiskoTroop
Adults know how to have a conversation without getting offended and needing to block folks. Adults can disagree without being offensive.
FIDO*98*
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

I have a question for the people that don't cook stuffing inside the turkey for Thanksgiving. How do you keep it from becoming a bowl of croutons?

I had a Cousin who would make her dressing in a electric roaster. She would cook it for several hours and add Turkey stock as she went to keep it moist. Then she would let it set up for about 10-15 minutes before dinner. Her dressing was legendary

*Called my mom and she thinks the has it written down. I'll post it if I get it. It does involve cooking a throwaway Turkey before hand for homemade stock
Tumble Weed
FIDO*98* said:

MaroonBaboon said:

I have a question for the people that don't cook stuffing inside the turkey for Thanksgiving. How do you keep it from becoming a bowl of croutons?

I had a Cousin who would make her dressing in a electric roaster. She would cook it for several hours and add Turkey stock as she went to keep it moist. Then she would let it set up for about 10-15 minutes before dinner. Her dressing was legendary
This is the way we do it but use chicken stock.
RCR06
AG
Old RV Ag said:

FIDO*98* said:

All you have to do is click my username and click this button and all the real estate that I'm occupying in your brain will get freed up. I figured your response may have been worth reading so I went ahead and clicked the show post button. I won't be doing that again.

If you're blocking me, then it's me that's in your head - ha! Run away, run away! Loved you still opened it to see what I had to say - bet you did it again and again.

Have a nice day!

The day I start using the "ignore user" feature is the day I quit coming to texags.

DiskoTroop
So I went ahead and did as Maw Maw taught me and added egg to my batch of dressing.

First time I've made it since she passed in 2011. Sure was nice to make it again. Really quite simple but has a few pitfalls and booby traps if you don't get it right. I'm fairly certain it's gonna turn out good. It felt like the right texture going in the pan...
schmellba99
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Dry Brined Smoked bird > Fried Bird
No
schmellba99
AG

Sorry, didnt mean the laugh/cry. Family has done both for decades, never had an issue with the bird or the dressing.
To your point about fried tasting better, I agree, but fried presents issues with making gravy, which I personally find to be a supremely important ingredient in the eating of the turkey and the dressing and the mashed potatoes (or noodles and breadcrumbs) and the rolls.
Pull neck and gibblets, make gravy with those. We do it every year.

Works great, fried turkey, gravy, oyster and rice dressing, traditional dressing, whatever veggies get made or brought, homemade mac& cheese, home made bread....dessert.
schmellba99
AG
Old RV Ag said:

FIDO*98* said:

Oh, is that how you make stock? /joke

Oh, and because I've been accused of not adding value - even with the fried turkey, use the bones to make a stock you can freeze for making soups, gravy, and whole lot of other things later.
Yep. I make my stock every year Thanksgiving night and use it throughout the year. Best for gumbo, but it works on a lot of things as well. And stock from a fried turkey is far superior than any other stock out there IMO.
Tumble Weed
Considering subbing in part veal broth with the chicken broth. Talk me out of it.

I have veal bones in the freezer, and an oxtail.
HTownAg98
It will make your gravy too rich for the bird, and it will taste "beefy." Stick with chicken or turkey bones.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.